SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:15 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,732 Posts
sorry in advance if i come off here as a smart ass here but if these posts are been written well then the pilots just arn't so up to speed on the mechanical aspect of the stratos,simple and all as it is.
please let me explain,the REASON nobody can use any OTHER reciever with the firebird stratos is because the twin prop are depandant on the reciever the plane comes with!!!

important to note here the twin motors use deferintial trust which means they rotate in opposite direction to one and other to cancel out the torque,so that the plane is beginner friendly and easier to handle.

in a nutshell if we were to change the reciever in the stratos we would end up with a very unstable plane because you then have two motors running on the same direction which just would be a mess for this design,thus making you think one prop would be a better soloution,thus defying the whole stratos idea and concept to begin with!!!!!

this is why comments like this radio changing out crap on the stratos anoys me personally,people need to look at in dept revews first and understand that this is no ordinary plane,it is a unique plane that a LOT of ground breaking thought and features have gone in to to make it what is is,a beginners dream,only for this most people would never explore r/c flight,we would give up all too easliy.

look,sorry again if my post sounds smart,i admire this plane,even as a returning experienced pilot i think it helped me a lot again with my flying hobby,it's a lovely plane as it is.personally i wouldn't try to modify it in any way.

f/punch
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Last edited by flightpunch34; Feb 15, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Your points are on the mark, f/punch...

And as chucksolo also offered, there are some pretty great planes out there already setup with all the "goodies".

However, I also understand that us humans like to play, experiment, understand and try to improve on those elements that interest us...

For my part, I was not trying to discourage, just try to offer an alternative - guess I didn't do well with my presentation.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:40 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Your points are on the mark, f/punch...

And as chucksolo also offered, there are some pretty great planes out there already setup with all the "goodies".

However, I also understand that us humans like to play, experiment, understand and try to improve on those elements that interest us...

For my part, I was not trying to discourage, just try to offer an alternative - guess I didn't do well with my presentation.

... Lennie

lennie,

thanks,please don't anyone take offense to my post,i am not saying this plane couldn't be moddified in some ways,i'm sure with enough skill anything mechanical could be!!

i'm just saying that it would to me be pointless effort to do so with this.
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:10 PM
Unregistered User
United States, CO
Joined Feb 2013
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post
sorry in advance if i come off here as a smart ass here but if these posts are been written well then the pilots just arn't so up to speed on the mechanical aspect of the stratos,simple and all as it is.
please let me explain,the REASON nobody can use any OTHER reciever with the firebird stratos is because the twin prop are depandant on the reciever the plane comes with!!!

important to note here the twin motors use deferintial trust which means they rotate in opposite direction to one and other to cancel out the torque,so that the plane is beginner friendly and easier to handle.

in a nutshell if we were to change the reciever in the stratos we would end up with a very unstable plane because you then have two motors running on the same direction which just would be a mess for this design,thus making you think one prop would be a better soloution,thus defying the whole stratos idea and concept to begin with!!!!!

this is why comments like this radio changing out crap on the stratos anoys me personally,people need to look at in dept revews first and understand that this is no ordinary plane,it is a unique plane that a LOT of ground breaking thought and features have gone in to to make it what is is,a beginners dream,only for this most people would never explore r/c flight,we would give up all too easliy.

look,sorry again if my post sounds smart,i admire this plane,even as a returning experienced pilot i think it helped me a lot again with my flying hobby,it's a lovely plane as it is.personally i wouldn't try to modify it in any way.

f/punch
The only thing I can see that will be lost is the Electronic Virtual Instructor, which I might be able to compensate for with mixes on my DX6i and more experience, ha! Though I think it's just an AS3X chip. The motors are wound to rotate in a certain direction. If I apply a positive voltage to the positive terminal of either motor, it should spin in the direction the motor was designed to turn. I am also researching the motor differential thrust factor when turning. There are many topics on this, just not sure if the DX6i can accomplish this with the dual ESCs that are on the Spektrum rx board. I do know the rudder/throttle mix works with a single motor/ESC on the DX6i. There is also a Spektrum dual brushless motor ESC rx available! My wheels are turning!
LonB is offline Find More Posts by LonB
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:24 PM
Unregistered User
United States, CO
Joined Feb 2013
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
quietguy has a point here. The difference is, that the Super Cub has loads of room for full sized servos and electronic gear. The FB Stratos, not so much. I for one wouldn't mod either one, as it would be more expensive to mod, say, the Super Cub with an ailerons and a brushless system when you could just go out and buy an Ares Gamma 370 Pro for less than $100.00. I would say modding the Super Cub 2 or 3 years ago made sense, not these days though. And yes, I understand why somone would like to mod these as a sort of project, I personally just don't see the point. Yes, the SC is a trainer, but why try to mod a trainer when there are viable 4 channel planes like the Gamma already in existence. But I do see that if you are really determined to "build" a 4 channel Super Cub.............not so much with the FB Stratos.
Looks like a nice little plane! Do you have experience with one?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:22 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
I'm not trying to "make" anyone do anything...

Sorry Lennie, I didn't state that you're trying to make anyone do anything. I wasn't trying to offend or annoy. LonB simply asked if anyone has made the swap yet, he didn't ask whether or not it made sense. I've just seen quite a few posts about why modding X plane doesn't make sense vs buying Y plane which is more suitable for mods. That said, I like your statement about humans liking to play, experiment, understand and try to improve on those elements that interest us.

I say let's encourage people to try things, no matter how crazy.
59er9er is offline Find More Posts by 59er9er
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post

f/punch
f/punch, differential thrust doesn't have anything to do with counter-rotating props. differential thrust enables enhanced directional control by increasing the speed of one motor, i.e. when you give the plane right rudder the left motor speeds up slightly to help turn the plane's nose to the right. You are spot on about differential thrust and counter rotating props making a plane more beginner friendly and easier to handle but they are not synonymous. I remember an old Air Hogs plane my son had which relied solely on differential thrust to turn it on the yaw axis...it had one small fixed surface rudder.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonB View Post
The only thing I can see that will be lost is the Electronic Virtual Instructor, which I might be able to compensate for with mixes on my DX6i and more experience, ha! Though I think it's just an AS3X chip. The motors are wound to rotate in a certain direction. If I apply a positive voltage to the positive terminal of either motor, it should spin in the direction the motor was designed to turn. I am also researching the motor differential thrust factor when turning. There are many topics on this, just not sure if the DX6i can accomplish this with the dual ESCs that are on the Spektrum rx board. I do know the rudder/throttle mix works with a single motor/ESC on the DX6i. There is also a Spektrum dual brushless motor ESC rx available! My wheels are turning!
I'm really looking forward to hearing more about this should you carry through with it. If the stratos had a much larger rudder you probably wouldn't have to worry about differential thrust, but it would need a MUCH larger rudder.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:12 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Another cold windy day in the cornfield. Trying to find someplace for a landing..lol
FirebirdStratos.wmv (6 min 0 sec)
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:46 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
Maidened this morning was fun. But I think the tail is tweaked, the fuse seems like it bends to the left. Plane turns nicely to the left but had to trim all the way right to get it to turn right at all and even then it does so much more slowly

Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:48 AM
Unregistered User
United States, CO
Joined Feb 2013
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
Another cold windy day in the cornfield. Trying to find someplace for a landing..lol http://youtu.be/tTMAEf8dfp8
May I suggest making sure you have a place to land before choosing a flying field? Lol!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:55 AM
Unregistered User
United States, CO
Joined Feb 2013
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
Maidened this morning was fun. But I think the tail is tweaked, the fuse seems like it bends to the left. Plane turns nicely to the left but had to trim all the way right to get it to turn right at all and even then it does so much more slowly

That doesn't look that bad to me but it's hard to tell from a photo. My Stratos has been slammed into the ground and epoxied twice (keep forgetting dual rates before attempting loops) and still flies straight with hardly any trim. I wonder if your motors are running the same RPMs.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
I am not sure. This is brand new straight out of the box. The first crash was because in very low wind I could not get it to do anything but go straight with full right input and half throttle. But it would turn left very quickly. I think trimmed full right rudder and it would move much farther right.

Also at rest it already looked centered and still did for the most part after full trim.
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:48 PM
United States, WA, Ferndale
Joined May 2012
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
I am not sure. This is brand new straight out of the box. The first crash was because in very low wind I could not get it to do anything but go straight with full right input and half throttle. But it would turn left very quickly. I think trimmed full right rudder and it would move much farther right.

Also at rest it already looked centered and still did for the most part after full trim.
Your problem may very well be out-of-the-box. That fuselage definately looks bent to me, which was exactly the problem my brother-in-law had with his Stratos out of the box (actually a little worse than yours). He tried flying it anyway in light wind and was unable to maintain straight flight as the airplane got downwind of him, then got harder to see (when the Stratos is coming straight back at you it almost disappears) and he ended up losing it altogether as it was blown out of range. I think this is a manufacturer defect, that you might not have noticed before, and not the result of your crash. See if they'll send you a new fuselage.....

Tom
black6088 is offline Find More Posts by black6088
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
I'm sure, assuming you bought direct from Horizon or Hobbyzone, that they would be happy to send a replacement - their customer service is top notch.

Good luck.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy