HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:57 AM
At High Altitude...
flightpunch34's Avatar
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Changes like those should be made only after you have turned off the VI on this plane. The VI will not let the plane fly right if you make changes contrary to those settings stated in the manual.

as i mentioned in the last video i have VI off for a while and on high rate mode,lastnight i went to the inner most hole on the control horns (more throw) and done the final modd the elevator complete witdh on the back.

what i can i say,the plane now flys amazing,more aggresive but i wouldn't reccomend it to new pilots,takes some getting used to.

here is a video of it today doing some aerobatics.

cheers
f/punch

Advanced aerobatics by dan (3 min 44 sec)
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
You are a wild-man, f'punch!

Very good flying...

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:44 PM
At High Altitude...
flightpunch34's Avatar
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
You are a wild-man, f'punch!

Very good flying...

... Lennie


haha,cheers!

this thing is great fun when fully opened up,i am amazed at it,i think it's two planes in one,a beginner and an aerobatic.really does nice stuff when the elevator/rudder are set to full throw.
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:53 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
SLK Count's Avatar
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
924 Posts
..you need a new plane for aerobatics.
Nice location, where did you fly ? on a hill ?
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:49 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Stratos pushrods

Hello,

I got a new Stratos fuselage from hobbyzone and I need to install the pushrods on it.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/HBZ7709
On the side of the servos there are 3 parts to put togheter: a tiny z-bended arm which will connect to the servo, the pushrod itself and a mini tube. How should I put that togheter? Glue? what kind of glue? any recommendation? any other way?

Thank you,
Pythagoras is offline Find More Posts by Pythagoras
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:03 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythagoras View Post
Hello,

I got a new Stratos fuselage from hobbyzone and I need to install the pushrods on it.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/HBZ7709
On the side of the servos there are 3 parts to put togheter: a tiny z-bended arm which will connect to the servo, the pushrod itself and a mini tube. How should I put that togheter? Glue? what kind of glue? any recommendation? any other way?

Thank you,
I'm attempting to do the same thing myself very shortly (like this weekend) on one of my Stratos and I understand that the z-bend piece is glued to the pushrod (CA, JB weld, ?), with the shrink wrap over the glued connection. I assume I've got to attach the z-bend end to the servo and then glue the piece to the push rod that has already been threaded through the fuselage. On the other Stratos, I'm taking a different approach to replacing the push rods--- I'm using 0.032" music wire as the push rod, and I plan to solder the z-bend end piece to the music wire push rod. To avoid future bowing of the push rod I'm installing styrene plastic tubing through the fuselage to run the push rod through, and I'm changing out the clevis-type push rod connectors for Du-Bro mini E/Z connectors (cat. # 845). It will be interesting to see how the different push rod systems perform over time--- I've had the original Stratos push rods bow badly on both planes. If I ever get this done, I'll report back. Good luck,

Tom
black6088 is online now Find More Posts by black6088
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:24 PM
Unregistered User
United States, CO
Joined Feb 2013
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythagoras View Post
Hello,

I got a new Stratos fuselage from hobbyzone and I need to install the pushrods on it.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/HBZ7709
On the side of the servos there are 3 parts to put togheter: a tiny z-bended arm which will connect to the servo, the pushrod itself and a mini tube. How should I put that togheter? Glue? what kind of glue? any recommendation? any other way?

Thank you,
The tiny Z-bend rods go on the servo and connect to the carbon fiber rods via CA and heat-shrink tubing. Make sure you put the tubing on and heat the tubing before CA dries. The other end is the exact same way. On mine, I heat-shrunk the CF rods to metal rods that I pushed through from the tail first and pulled them back out with the CF rods following. It's a lot easier to do if you carefully pry up the RX board and reattach with rods connected to the servos.
LonB is offline Find More Posts by LonB
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:26 PM
Unregistered User
United States, CO
Joined Feb 2013
291 Posts
Has anyone been able to determine CG on the Firebird Stratos? I put larger wheels on and I'd like to confirm CG with battery in.
LonB is offline Find More Posts by LonB
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:44 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonB View Post
Has anyone been able to determine CG on the Firebird Stratos? I put larger wheels on and I'd like to confirm CG with battery in.
I believe the CG is almost exactly where the two "notches" are on the battery hatch cover (the location of the CG is cleverly hidden in the manual). I slip a rubber band through the notches, secure the hatch cover, and hang the airplane upside down--- then look to see if the wings are parallel to the ground. This works for me.

Tom
black6088 is online now Find More Posts by black6088
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:57 AM
Unregistered User
United States, CO
Joined Feb 2013
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
I believe the CG is almost exactly where the two "notches" are on the battery hatch cover (the location of the CG is cleverly hidden in the manual). I slip a rubber band through the notches, secure the hatch cover, and hang the airplane upside down--- then look to see if the wings are parallel to the ground. This works for me.

Tom
Thanks for the info, Tom. Much appreciated. I managed to find this on HobbyZoneRC.com:

"CG (center of gravity): 0.8 in (20mm) in front of landing gear wire"
LonB is offline Find More Posts by LonB
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:57 AM
Unregistered User
United States, CO
Joined Feb 2013
291 Posts
Stratos with Spektrum receiver

I noticed Spektrum has a dual ESC receiver (AR6410T). I would love to be able to fly my Stratos with my DX6i. Has anyone successfully made the swap yet? The AR6410T handles 2A for motors and the Stratos has brushed 180 motors but I haven't yet put an amp meter on them.
LonB is offline Find More Posts by LonB
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:02 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonB View Post
I noticed Spektrum has a dual ESC receiver (AR6410T). I would love to be able to fly my Stratos with my DX6i. Has anyone successfully made the swap yet? The AR6410T handles 2A for motors and the Stratos has brushed 180 motors but I haven't yet put an amp meter on them.
Why would you want to?

IMO, the Stratos is perfect out of the box for what it was designed for: a trainer.

Why not pick up the Super Cub LP... this would work perfectly with your DX6i.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:26 PM
Registered User
59er9er's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Why would you want to?

IMO, the Stratos is perfect out of the box for what it was designed for: a trainer.

Why not pick up the Super Cub LP... this would work perfectly with your DX6i.
I understand your point there, but why not let others explore options with their own planes? It has absolutely no effect on you if someone decides to mod their Stratos. I own both the Stratos and Super Cub so I can understand why someone would want to do this. And besides, isn't the Super Cub designed as a trainer as well?
59er9er is offline Find More Posts by 59er9er
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er9er View Post
I understand your point there, but why not let others explore options with their own planes? It has absolutely no effect on you if someone decides to mod their Stratos. I own both the Stratos and Super Cub so I can understand why someone would want to do this. And besides, isn't the Super Cub designed as a trainer as well?
I'm not trying to "make" anyone do anything...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Last edited by .quietguy; Feb 15, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:24 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,959 Posts
quietguy has a point here. The difference is, that the Super Cub has loads of room for full sized servos and electronic gear. The FB Stratos, not so much. I for one wouldn't mod either one, as it would be more expensive to mod, say, the Super Cub with an ailerons and a brushless system when you could just go out and buy an Ares Gamma 370 Pro for less than $100.00. I would say modding the Super Cub 2 or 3 years ago made sense, not these days though. And yes, I understand why somone would like to mod these as a sort of project, I personally just don't see the point. Yes, the SC is a trainer, but why try to mod a trainer when there are viable 4 channel planes like the Gamma already in existence. But I do see that if you are really determined to "build" a 4 channel Super Cub.............not so much with the FB Stratos.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HobbyZone Firebird Commander 2 jakob98 Electric Sailplanes 0 Sep 09, 2011 05:48 PM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom parts - $30 take all PACubFlyer103 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 07, 2011 05:34 AM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw RTF - Great for kids and/or beginners baddb1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 08, 2011 07:36 PM
Discussion Why was HobbyZone Firebird Freedom RTF dicontinued? cschrein Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Apr 19, 2011 07:15 AM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Commander 2 Plus Extras banjo_nc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Apr 01, 2011 07:49 PM