SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:56 PM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Good flying there, Corran. Dunno where you are but man, it looks COLD.
haha, thanks Itīs was a good day to fly...but the GoPro made it a bit heavy at the front.

I live in Sweden
Corran is offline Find More Posts by Corran
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:02 PM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
Is it a common problem...the ESC? Since booth planes have the same problem :-/
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:13 PM
Willmar, Minnesota, United States
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
:-) heck, I'm in Minnesota... today is the first day in a week that the temps have been on the positive side
your question, I wouldn't say burning out the BEC portion of an ESC is COMMON, but esc's can often be the weak link (for lack of a better term.)
the motor is going to ask for as much power as it needs.
the battery is going to supply as much power as it can.
the ESC sites between the two... if the motor asks for a large amount of power (more than the ESC can handle) and if the battery is capable or providing that much power.. the ESC is going to go. :-O
Jim Buzzeo is offline Find More Posts by Jim Buzzeo
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:19 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,615 Posts
hey corran,

nah,i don't think it's anything to do with an ESC problemat all,YES an esc thing but not a fault or issue,this is just my opinion,all stratos behave this way,if your stratos does this when you plug in a fresh charged battery you need to first make sure you have throttle stick in neutral position on the radio,also if it still persists trim your throttle down to center position,this always works for me.
mine used to do the exact same thing,a little playing with the throttle trims and it's perfect now.
i think it says this on the manual too what to do about this issue,it's not really an issue it's more of a saftey feature for the ESC to arm itself correct.
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:30 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
how does this plane compare with the easy star? does it fly the same? same speed or slower/faster? two motors so im guessing the stratos is faster and probably can handle wind better but too fast for a newbie. just from the videos ive seen it looks way too fast.
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Last edited by bradymartin; Feb 07, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:00 AM
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
another question. can i fly this at the beach?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:47 AM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
another question. can i fly this at the beach?
I think the biggest issue may be sand in the motor coils. But $20 gets you a new set if needed. I am considering it for vaca in FLA in april. Something like the Icon may be a better fit for the beach possibly.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:54 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post
hey corran,

nah,i don't think it's anything to do with an ESC problemat all,YES an esc thing but not a fault or issue,this is just my opinion,all stratos behave this way,if your stratos does this when you plug in a fresh charged battery you need to first make sure you have throttle stick in neutral position on the radio,also if it still persists trim your throttle down to center position,this always works for me.
mine used to do the exact same thing,a little playing with the throttle trims and it's perfect now.
i think it says this on the manual too what to do about this issue,it's not really an issue it's more of a saftey feature for the ESC to arm itself correct.
Hiii!

Thx a lot for your help! You nailed it!

Trimmed the throttle down all the way...turned it on. And woola, it works
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:09 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Hiii!

Thx a lot for your help! You nailed it!

Trimmed the throttle down all the way...turned it on. And woola, it works

no problem,glad to be of a help.
got out yesterday with mine,was a little windy,i now fly mine with virtual instructor off,and on the high rates,in fact i would reccomend to use the high rates in more wind to give you more control and throw.

it must have been almost 20mph winds yesterday and it handled it great,wouldn't reccomend it though in those sort of winds,i was just mad to get it airbourne again

i have another arrival next week,an FMS alpha jet
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:55 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
The plane doesn't handle ANYTHING line an EasyStar. Also, the plane is NOT too fast for a newbie. In fact, the Firebird Stratos is about the easiest plane to fly except for maybe the Hobbyzone Champ and the Stratos does far better in the wind. My only problem with the FB Stratos is the use of a proprietary TX. Other than that, she is a great plane to "go it alone" with.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:34 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,371 Posts
You did install the black rod into the trailing edge of the center of the wing that holds the wing in place in addition to the magnets?

If not the wing will come off in heavy loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post
thanks very much!

was needing to ask actually if any one knew,you know when you build the kit for the stratos,you get a long black rod/bar....what on earth is that for??

thanks
f/punch
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:00 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2012
111 Posts
I might add that once the black is installed it doesn't need to be removed, ever. Simply slide the white plastic piece holding the wings together to either side to release. This is a fantastic design which holds the wing in place nicely yet allows for easy, tool free removal.
59er9er is offline Find More Posts by 59er9er
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
The plane doesn't handle ANYTHING line an EasyStar. Also, the plane is NOT too fast for a newbie. In fact, the Firebird Stratos is about the easiest plane to fly except for maybe the Hobbyzone Champ and the Stratos does far better in the wind. My only problem with the FB Stratos is the use of a proprietary TX. Other than that, she is a great plane to "go it alone" with.
well when i watch videos on youtube it looks pretty fast
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
well when i watch videos on youtube it looks pretty fast
Then try the Champ...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:33 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
YouTube videos can be pretty deceptive. Trust me, it isn't too fast for the beginner. If you have your doubts and think the FB Stratos is too fast, try the Ares Gamma 370. It is a very slow flying, stable beginner plane.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69