HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:53 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
The black "bars" embedded on the underside of the wing are carbon fiber rods to add strength.

The longer, thicker separate black rod is slid into the holes on either wing half before assembly. If you did not do this step you should disassemble the wing halves and insert the rod.

... Lennie

thanks a lot for that info lennie,
i really hadn't a clue where those all went..

to be honest i'm still a little confused as to where the smaller rods go,are they just left hanging down??

it was confusing when the manual never specified to use the rods.
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post
thanks a lot for that info lennie,
i really hadn't a clue where those all went..

to be honest i'm still a little confused as to where the smaller rods go,are they just left hanging down??

it was confusing when the manual never specified to use the rods.
If you mean the wires with a "C" twist on the bottom, those are to be installed in slits in the main wing (either side and to the area outside of the motors. Those are used when belly landing without the landing gear. Check the Instruction booklet for detail instructions. Sorry for the confustion - I thought you meant the carbon fiber rods embedded in the main wing.

Hope this helps...

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:48 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,157 Posts
Quote:
If you mean the wires with a "C" twist on the bottom, those are to be installed in slits in the main wing (either side and to the area outside of the motors. Those are used when belly landing without the landing gear. Check the Instruction booklet for detail instructions. Sorry for the confustion - I thought you meant the carbon fiber rods embedded in the main wing.

Hope this helps...

... Lennie

hey lennie,

yes i mean those wires actually and the smaller rods,i can't still figure out where the smaller rods go,ok i put the large rod in to the wings when i built it but you also get smaller ones and wires,i just can't figure out where the smaller carbon rod go,there really don't seem to be any place to fit them.

the manual don't specify anything about these,unless i am mistaken,must have a read now just in case i am !!

thanks again
f/punch
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
hey lennie,

yes i mean those wires actually and the smaller rods,i can't still figure out where the smaller rods go,ok i put the large rod in to the wings when i built it but you also get smaller ones and wires,i just can't figure out where the smaller carbon rod go,there really don't seem to be any place to fit them.

the manual don't specify anything about these,unless i am mistaken,must have a read now just in case i am !!

thanks again
f/punch
Ahhhhhh... I think I know the items you're referring to: Are they the white/clear tube like pieces (small, about 1/8 inch long)? If so, I believe they are spare sleeves for the control clevis' - the ones that slide over the clip to keep them from popping loose/open.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:20 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,157 Posts
lennie,

sorry,my mistake the rods i am referring to actually didn't come with the stratos..... lol they came with an r/c helicopter i got for christmas too...i just put them all in the same spares box. aparently i don't know where they go on that heli either!!! lol

anyway,thanks for pointing out where those wires go on the wings,i fitted them to aid any belly landings tomorrow in the field,and yes it does state on the manual about those wire pieces.

so how is your own stratos?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
lennie,

sorry,my mistake the rods i am referring to actually didn't come with the stratos..... lol they came with an r/c helicopter i got for christmas too...i just put them all in the same spares box. aparently i don't know where they go on that heli either!!! lol

anyway,thanks for pointing out where those wires go on the wings,i fitted them to aid any belly landings tomorrow in the field,and yes it does state on the manual about those wire pieces.

so how is your own stratos?
Phew! Glad you got it all figured out!

I'm a returning RC fan... was a 30 year gap. Started with the Champ but didn't have much success with that. Went to the Stratos and have maybe eight flights under my belt. Been about six weeks since my last flights - all without landing gear. After my last run I installed the wheels but haven't yet had weather or time to give it a go.

I love the Stratos... another few weeks and will probably add the Super Cub to my "hanger".

You're a much better flyer than I... and I'm glad you're enjoying the plane.

... Lennie
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:41 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,157 Posts
yeah,thanks to you i figured where those wire pins went....cheers!

i doubt i am a better flyer but i will say the stratos makes things easy for returning pilots like us,we must have similar taste because i too am considering a super cub LP...the price is good,to be honest i wanted a glassair sportman because it's overall a better plane with ailerons and brushless motor etc etc..... but the dropside is it's not on the market at the moment and hobbyshops seem to be all out of stock,i was planning to get one in the coming weeks but i was told today it could be another 5-6 weeks before it hits uk,so i might just go with the supercub LP. i don't mind brushed motors they are fine,they can last a long time and are not expensive at all,but the ailerons would be a nice feature and the glasair has a great looking virtual assistance like the stratos,so it's hard to know what to do....the sportman is not so much more money,maybe it's worth the wait.

anyway,sorry for going slightly offtopic,i am off out in the morning with 3 batteries and the stratos for some fun,can't wait,it's been a while now,the last time i was out i got those videos up and that was 3 weeks now,the wind has just all about died down now so i'm off to the field in the morning.
it's as always going to be fun,should be even better now with three batteries!!

the stratos is a lovely plane,i am a big fan of it i hope the weather is suitable now tomorrow,we are up at 7:30 and i will get the flying done before work,that's how hooked i am now
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
160 Posts
Quote:

Hope this helps...

... Lennie
Are you sure about that? I always have them installed I actually glued them in, they protect the wing on rough landings. I actually think you remove them to belly land. I'll have to look at the manual. Seems like they would big in and send you tumbling.
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
160 Posts
Dig in...
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
Are you sure about that? I always have them installed I actually glued them in, they protect the wing on rough landings. I actually think you remove them to belly land. I'll have to look at the manual. Seems like they would big in and send you tumbling.
Yes, that's their purpose - prevent the motors/props from striking ground when belly landing.

Unless you're landing wingtip first, I doubt those wires would touch down with wheels on (well... one could strike some obstacle like a boulder).
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:40 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
Are you sure about that? I always have them installed I actually glued them in, they protect the wing on rough landings. I actually think you remove them to belly land. I'll have to look at the manual. Seems like they would dig in and send you tumbling.
Quote:
Yes, that's their purpose - prevent the motors/props from striking ground when belly landing.

Unless you're landing wingtip first, I doubt those wires would touch down with wheels on (well... one could strike some obstacle like a boulder).
We installed them for belly landing on the maiden. We were landing in tall grass and they would catch on the grass and spin the plane around, sometimes with enough force to rotate the wing off the plane, ruining a good landing . One of them got ripped loose and was lost in the grass, we removed the other one and have not had any trouble belly landing without them.
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:59 AM
Joined Aug 2012
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
We installed them for belly landing on the maiden. We were landing in tall grass and they would catch on the grass and spin the plane around, sometimes with enough force to rotate the wing off the plane, ruining a good landing . One of them got ripped loose and was lost in the grass, we removed the other one and have not had any trouble belly landing without them.
That's what I would think would happen, or worse. Non of the other planes that are belly landed have them? Even with the props on the nose. You just cut the power before touchdown. I need to check the manual.
Mine do drag on the road once in awhile if I'm coming in with a cross wind or not quite level with landing gear on saving the ends of the wing.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:00 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,157 Posts
yesterday was a fantastic day,so i took out my stratos for some flight,was a lot of fun,must have ran 6 batteries yesterday through it,no problems,in the video it might be hard to see it some times but that is all down to the crazy altitude i got with it,i am impressed very much so with it.the weather today is raining with high winds so no flying for a while,i can't wait to get my new arrival soon to add to the hangar,either the sportsman glasair or the supercub lp.

i switched off VI and had it on high rates,i would reccomend only doing this with very high altitude like i had,i done rolls flew it upside down and had some loops it was heaps of fun with the VI switched off,but could catch the unsuspecting out fast.we already live up very high on a mountain so i think the video looks cool the way you see the plane diving down in to the valley below.

stratos flight #3 (6 min 56 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
Whatever works best ... I was simply trying to be helpful.
Last edited by .quietguy; Feb 03, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Very nice video, f'punch... and impressive flying!

I was out and going about 6:00AM yesterday, had the Stratos in the trunk. But it got pretty breezy and the temps began in the upper 20's... So, I drove out to a local lake for coffee - shot the following for my own entertainment:

Lake Bonham video (9 min 9 sec)