HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:28 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder7410 View Post
I had considered setting to High Rate in the future for some more advanced maneuvering but had not considered it for improving slow flight characteristics, thanks!

Love the nav lights. Great way to get in some evening flying time in the non-daylight savings time months. You've given me something to consider moving forward. Any observed impact on flight time with added load on the battery?
Nope, none at all. The lights don't draw much power.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:00 AM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
hey buddy . new to site. that happend to me on my last flight . was over trees and out of nowere there goes control . recovered stratos . min damage . Installed fresh batts.
rickrock is offline Find More Posts by rickrock
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
hey guys new to site . bought fb stratos last month and am quite good at takeoffs and landings .im ready to install my 808 #3 for video .does any one know where i should install it on my stratos ?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:03 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
Wherever you install it, make sure that the CG is correct. The FB Stratos with the VI and all is VERY sensitive to CG changes. The manual will tell you where the correct CG is.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Pocket HD video cam...

A brief off-topic moment, sorry...

Anyone interested in a great little pocket video cam for RC flying use:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817933

Now - back to our regularly scheduled program
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:14 PM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
firebird stratos

Hey pilots , have been flying my fbs for two months now and have become quite good at take offs and landings . now that i have added a 808# 3 cam to it , my nose wants to dive at neutral input. does anyone have sugg.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
You totally messed up the Center of Gravity. The plane is now ultra nose heavy. you could try and trim out the problem, but the FB Stratos isn't gonna like that with the VI turned on. Move the Camera back until it is back to the proper CG. The FBS manual should list the proper CG point. You could also try to mount the camera back farther, but UNDER the plane. Either way, the CG is off and needs to be reset by repositioning the camera.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:23 PM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
thanks Chuck . was told by a fellow pilot of ours by the name Jay that moving the battery rearward about an inch would compensate for the cg . And holding plane with both index fingers on bottomside of wings where the two slots next too motors , balancing plane like this can determin if your cg is correct
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:26 PM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
I have moved camera back to rear of cockpit just before wing tab .wat do you think
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
If the CG is indeed where the other guy told you it is, and it balances with the camera an inch back, then yes, the CG would then be right. However, if the plane dips even a little bit aft when you check the balance, then do not try to fly it. A tail heavy plane is WAY worse than a nose heavy one. Basically make sure the balance is ROCK SOLID when placing the camera.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:05 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock View Post
thanks Chuck . was told by a fellow pilot of ours by the name Jay that moving the battery rearward about an inch would compensate for the cg . And holding plane with both index fingers on bottomside of wings where the two slots next too motors , balancing plane like this can determin if your cg is correct
I am Jay, sorry if I lead you astray. My advice is to take the camera off and put the battery in the normal position at the very front of the compartment. The plane should balance perfectly, not tip forward or rearward, when you hold it up with your fingertips on the slots on the undersides of the wings just outboard of the motor nacelles. Now that you know how a Firebird with a proper CG feels, now add the camera, then keep moving the battery rearward (if the camera is forward of CG) until it balances perfectly again.

For the weight of my camera in the location I chose to mount it, I could get the CG perfect again by moving the battery rearward about an inch, but you may have to move your battery rearward more or less than that depending on the weight and position of your camera. If your camera is too heavy and/or you place it too far forward, you may never get it to balance just by moving the battery rearward. In that case, don't try to fly it, you will likely crash, instead choose a different mounting location or get a lighter camera.
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:24 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,617 Posts
hi all,

new to the forum,just a little about me,i am from ireland and had planes years ago,things have changed quite a lot in recent years,it's unreal the advancments in tecnolagy!
i got back in to r/c flight this christmas and started back with a stratos,first flight out was a sucess in low wind,i love the plane,it's very windy here now at the moment so things are quite with the flight time...unfortunately.
can't wait for wind to calm and get out again,i have a deposit paid on a glassair so can't wait for that one.
anyway here are two videos i done,first flight and second flight.

i am looking forward to getting back in to flight this year,will go to local clubs also here in ireland,it will be nice to get a break from racing the 5th scale cars for this year anyway.

flight #1 was a very slow affair and nothing too exciting so i decided to post flight #2 and the take off and landing video,i recon i didn't go too bad for first time back in ten years.it's an easy plane to fly in fairness,that helps,IMO i only reccomend to take this out though in very low wind.

well so far after my review on this,would highly reccomend it,i used fly jets years ago and large planes,it's amazing how things advance,my next plane in a few weeks will be a glassair sportman,will do my own review on it when it comes.

i'm ready to fly in the morning again with this,low winds given....

flight #2

flight #2 stratos plane going a little mad with it (4 min 53 sec)

flight #3

take off and landings

firebird stratos -take off and landing practise! (3 min 32 sec)

cheers
flight punch
flightpunch34 is online now Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Very good flying, punch...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:08 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Very good flying, punch...

thanks very much!

was needing to ask actually if any one knew,you know when you build the kit for the stratos,you get a long black rod/bar....what on earth is that for??

also i see on hobbyzone video the little smaller black light metal rods are hanging from the underside of the wings at both sides....a little confusing...maybe those are to balance things up??

i never used either...will be intresting to hear your thoughts on these.

thanks
f/punch
flightpunch34 is online now Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post
thanks very much!

was needing to ask actually if any one knew,you know when you build the kit for the stratos,you get a long black rod/bar....what on earth is that for??

also i see on hobbyzone video the little smaller black light metal rods are hanging from the underside of the wings at both sides....a little confusing...maybe those are to balance things up??

i never used either...will be intresting to hear your thoughts on these.

thanks
f/punch
The black "bars" embedded on the underside of the wing are carbon fiber rods to add strength.

The longer, thicker separate black rod is slid into the holes on either wing half before assembly. If you did not do this step you should disassemble the wing halves and insert the rod.

... Lennie