HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:07 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
Experienced pilots will constantly make that mistake with this bird. The one setup option that stands out. It's the only plane I have centered the elevator during the binding procedure.
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Santa brought me one!

Well, my kids gave it to me (I suspect my wife helped out since they're 9 & 7).

I've got it put together, elevator trim seemed fine out of the box: slightly up when off, goes flat when throttle > 50%. Had to adjust the rudder clevis slightly.

Battery is charged, bought a 2nd but need to get some velcro to keep it in the compartment. Hoping to take it out tomorrow AM. Going to put in some time on RD Desk Pilot or FMS with it tonight.
ericmj is offline Find More Posts by ericmj
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmj View Post
Well, my kids gave it to me (I suspect my wife helped out since they're 9 & 7).

I've got it put together, elevator trim seemed fine out of the box: slightly up when off, goes flat when throttle > 50%. Had to adjust the rudder clevis slightly.

Battery is charged, bought a 2nd but need to get some velcro to keep it in the compartment. Hoping to take it out tomorrow AM. Going to put in some time on RD Desk Pilot or FMS with it tonight.
Sounds to me like you've got it dialed in just right - congrats and enjoy the plane.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:18 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
hi all,
I'm still with you but my Stratos is hanging at my wall - weather here in Germany is horrible, it's too windy or it's raining
Furthermore I bought the new e-flite Edge 540QQ and did mods- this plane is awesome.
However...next time if the weather is fine (I hope soon) I will make a short vid from the Stratos for you.
I like this plane
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
hi all,
I'm still with you but my Stratos is hanging at my wall - weather here in Germany is horrible, it's too windy or it's raining
Furthermore I bought the new e-flite Edge 540QQ and did mods- this plane is awesome.
However...next time if the weather is fine (I hope soon) I will make a short vid from the Stratos for you.
I like this plane
Congrats on your new plane...

Don't feel alone - weather in Texas has prevented any flying for me for about 3 weeks now.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:17 AM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Congrats on your new plane...

Don't feel alone - weather in Texas has prevented any flying for me for about 3 weeks now.
I hear your pain..8 inches of snow yesterday and windy as hell..no flying here either..And, I have my AXN all put together and can't compare it to the Stratos yet. Driving me Batty..
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:55 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
I hear your pain..8 inches of snow yesterday and windy as hell..no flying here either..And, I have my AXN all put together and can't compare it to the Stratos yet. Driving me Batty..
Be sure and give us a review of your new AXN, with video after you've had a chance to fly her... good luck
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
You guys want a comparison of the AXN Floater Jet and the HZ Firebird Stratos? Here goes. There is NO comparison. These are two TOTALLY different planes. While the FB Stratos is very docile and user friendly, the AXN Floater jet is almost exactly the opposite, until you get it up high and let her glide. The AXN is about 3 times faster than the FB Stratos. It has a nasty tendency to dive under full throttle and sometimes, the plane will roll too. This is usually attributed to the turbulance from the prop disturbing the rudder. While the Stratos will glide level when hand launched at full throttle, the AXN will do a violent nose dive when hand launched at full throttle. I launch mine at less than half throttle and goose the throttle only after she is sufficienlty at altitude. The plane can be nerve wracking to a noob when he/she first punches the throttle and the plane dives quickly. This is the exact opposite of what the FB Stratos does when you peg the throttle. The FB Stratos wants to climb at full throttle; the AXN heads for earth. Up high though, the AXN is a pleasure to soar on the thermals with ther 50" wingspan. She is easy to land as you just add down elevator and float her in. The FB Stratos is not a good trainer for a transition to the AXN Floater Jet.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
I, for one, wasn't asking for a "comparision"... merely his take on the AXN.

But you've given a very good, complete report AND comparison: even better, thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:04 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
..was out today and made three short flights with my Stratos. We had zero degrees and a little bit frozy wind- not ideal weather conditions.
I did a short video for you- shows my flight location in the meadows near my home and the small sand way is my runway. I had luck today, the wind direction was near in line with the way
-
I video have to upload on youtube in the next hours and i will link it here if its available.
-
In the last flight I had contact with the huge tree- wind pushed my Stratos and there wasn't enought space - pofff....the Stratos was hanging in the tree but all was fine, I picked him and started without a damage again.
...I like this beginner plane
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
Yeah, It takes a while to get used to the AXN. I crashed mine twice, no damage though, when launching her at full throttle. Very, very disturbing when that happened. Quietguy, when do you think you will be ready for the Super Cub? If you want a nice flying plane after you master the Stratos, I think you would be ready for the Ares Gamma 370 Pro. I just got one and she flies like a dream. It doesn't fly very much faster than the standard Gamma 370 with the included large prop and the standard Ares 1000 mah battery but you can roll and invert it because of the ailerons. She is still gentle though and if you can fly the Stratos, then you will be able to fly the Gamma Pro. You would need a new TX and RX though, but the Gamma 370 Pro is only $99.99 in the receiver ready format. You would need a new TX if you plan to go with the Super Cub anyway. Don't get me wrong, the Super Cub is a great plane, but I believe that you could fly the 4 channel Gamma 370 Pro right after the FB Stratos, and for less money.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
Vid upload

..here is my short video with my Stratos
Enjoy it

Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos (3 min 1 sec)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
..here is my short video with my Stratos
Enjoy it

http://youtu.be/DlZbWHdqI_U
EXCELLENT flying and video, Count!

You made it all look very easy - much better flyer than me. Seems like I get to fly (weather controlled) only about every 4 to 6 weeks, Ugh.

Again... great job

... Lennie
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Took my Stratos out for it's maiden flights this afternoon. For the most part it went well. The plane wanted to turn left when I left the rudder/elevator stick alone, and the trim buttons didn't do enough to correct this, but this effect was minimized with the trim buttons, and I'll re-adjust the clevis rod later.

Should the rudder look straight when all the electronics are off? I thought I had it adjusted that way, but then noticed that when I would move the rudder to one side or the other with the control stick, it doesn't always return exactly to center. And like I said before, the plane wanted to turn left on it's own. The air was calm, so I don't think that was the cause, and it did that no matter what direction the plane was flying.

I lost the nose cone on my 2nd flight, er, crash but it flew fine without it and I stopped at my local store on the way home to get some CA glue. On a subsequent flight/landing, the catch the holds the battery compartment cover ripped off along with a little hunk of foam, so I flew it a little more without the cover, assuming the velcro would keep the battery in place. IT did, until during my last flight I got confused/disoriented and did a nice over-correction while turning around while the plane was fairly low, did a nice little wing-tip cartwheel and the battery flew out and disconnected.

I guess the cold, dry grass doesn't necessarily make for soft landings... Perhaps I'll put the wheels on next time.

Will try to post/attach a photo I took post-flight. Overall it was a lot of fun, and I'll do some glueing tonight and hopefully go back out tomorrow and fly some more!
ericmj is offline Find More Posts by ericmj
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Sounds like you did pretty well for your first flights, eric.

Yes, the rudder should return to it's preset position. If you have it properly set via the clevis and it continues to do so, examine the control rod for any sticking or obstructions. Also make sure the rod sections between the link are not slipping.

Continued success and have fun.