Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,122 Posts
I picked up a Super Sportster EP from the LHS for $114 for my son to transition to from the Stratos. It flys great slow and fast and uses 11.1 / 1300 batteries.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma6006.html
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:55 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
The way the Firebird Stratos is setup with the virtual instructor, it is not possible to make the plane a BNF model. The FB Stratos is a plane that should lead you to another high wing trainer like the HZ Super Cub.
They could with some additions. HH has DSM2/DSMX twin board today. They would need a brushed version or swap the motors.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-SPMAR6410T#t1
They would just need to add flight stab to a board like that. Additionally, they could create a module similar to the HK OrangeRX3 flight stabilizer (FSU), with more options (independent ailerons, etc). And maybe concider a single master cord between (new) RXs and the FSU, and a return home feature... And maybe some programming hooks.

An interesting project might be to upgrade motors to brushless, get the HH twin dsm board and add the HK OrangeRX to see how that might work.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
You're right, but then, it wold defeat the purpose of the plane wouldn't it? Low cost and pefect for a newbie straight from the box. I doubt they would do that at that price point either. I really find it strange that anyone would want to mod this plane when it serves its purpose quite well. There are so many other planes out there that would make for way more interesting projects.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:56 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,940 Posts
Hey Stratos pilots! There's a guy over in the airplane stabilizer? thread who says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel
There is a plethora of airplanes on the market that offer the same degree of stability without requiring a gyro as the Firebird Stratos does with a gyro. The fact that the Firebird Stratos needs a gyro to make it flyable for those learning to fly only means that it is a poor design as a trainer.

Larry
Anybody care to zip over there and set the record straight? I did but I've never flown a Stratos. You could do a much better job.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
You're right, but then, it wold defeat the purpose of the plane wouldn't it? Low cost and pefect for a newbie straight from the box. I doubt they would do that at that price point either. I really find it strange that anyone would want to mod this plane when it serves its purpose quite well. There are so many other planes out there that would make for way more interesting projects.
I wouldn't do it (yet). But lots of people have different interests and just like to experiment. Don't hate the players, hate the game. :-)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:50 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2008
10 Posts
Dualsky LiPo Battery EX 1300mAh

Hi Guys,

I order an extra battery to get a longer fly time - Dualsky LiPo Battery EX 1300mAh 2S 30C w/DC3.

Just wondering whether this battery is going to fit in.. anyone try this battery before?

Million Thanks
ceong is offline Find More Posts by ceong
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Holiday wish...

Wishing everyone a Merry Xmas...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:36 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Wishing everyone a Merry Xmas...
Thank you, the same to you
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:31 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,032 Posts
+1

...and may it be a real good one
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dualsky Hornet 460
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk74 View Post
+1

...and may it be a real good one
Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2012
65 Posts
I have a freidn who got one instead of the Super cub and its been one problem after another. I flew it for him to make sure it was trimmed, and what not, and i can say that it flew. . . not good.
After replacing the fuse, both motors, and a few other parts it still flies like it is confused and poor response.
Becuase of this sting of bad exp's with the stratos, i do not have good luck selling them at the LHS that i work at, cause i see it as a . . .well, not good airplane.
Save your moneys and get a Super Cub.
HigherFlyer420 is offline Find More Posts by HigherFlyer420
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:26 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HigherFlyer420 View Post
I have a freidn who got one instead of the Super cub and its been one problem after another. I flew it for him to make sure it was trimmed, and what not, and i can say that it flew. . . not good.
After replacing the fuse, both motors, and a few other parts it still flies like it is confused and poor response.
Becuase of this sting of bad exp's with the stratos, i do not have good luck selling them at the LHS that i work at, cause i see it as a . . .well, not good airplane.
Save your moneys and get a Super Cub.
Not sure fuse would have much to do with flight. I am guessing you crashed. Not sure why needed to replace both motors either. If I had to stagger a guess, your control rods where broke/loose between the carbon and steel. Or your control board may somehow be bad. If everything working, it does fly well. Wish you had a chance to experience a good flight with it.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
Not sure fuse would have much to do with flight. I am guessing you crashed. Not sure why needed to replace both motors either. If I had to stagger a guess, your control rods where broke/loose between the carbon and steel. Or your control board may somehow be bad. If everything working, it does fly well. Wish you had a chance to experience a good flight with it.
Or, as so often happens, elevator trim was setup incorrectly...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:19 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Or, as so often happens, elevator trim was setup incorrectly...
Forgot that one. More likely. Probably flys like a wild mustang without that *important step.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,122 Posts
Every time I hear that someone is having a problem I ask about the elevator setup. After my son's rebuild I actually had too much down in it which caused it to be a handfull till we put almost full up trim. After he landed I redid the elevator to get the trim out and the next flights were perfect.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss