HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:24 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk74 View Post
For those of you wanting to get a dx6i, but finding the original spektrum too pricey, this may be the deal:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Mode_2_.html

From what I can tell it has a few extra freatures not available on the 6i. fx a backlit display and the possibility to add a LiFePo battery. Apart from that it has all the necessary mixing, dual rates and what not. It does not however support dsmx, both dsm1 and dsm2 are supported.

Certainly can't beat the price...

Best price I've found for the 6i is $139.29 - link is here:

http://www.ampdraw.com/product/24080...er-Only-Mode-2

To see the discounted price, "add to cart"

... Lennie

.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:39 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,826 Posts
That Orange Transmitter is DSM2. Be aware that many of the Bind & Fly helis and planes from Horizon are now DSMX and will not work with that transmitter.
Gary

After reviewing that Orange Transmitter may indeed work with the DSMX receivers. Sorry for my erroneous post.
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Last edited by Gary Hoorn; Dec 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Correcting a mistake
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,477 Posts
I keep hoping to see a Stratos flying at my field......so far, no joy.....

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Dec 16, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:31 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
That Orange Transmitter is DSM2. Be aware that many of the Bind & Fly helis and planes from Horizon are now DSMX and will not work with that transmitter.
Gary

After reviewing that Orange Transmitter may indeed work with the DSMX receivers. Sorry for my erroneous post.
IIRC, any DSMX rx can also fall back to DSM2. Not sure if that true with Orange tx as can't verify myself. Also, other people tend to associate BNF with a type of rx tech which it is not. BNF just means everything you need is in the plane (including the RX) and you just need to charge the battery, bind to the rx and go. The rx's are normal HH DSM2 or DSMX ARxxx receivers that are just included in the package.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

Buy one and be the first in your airspace
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:40 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Buy one and be the first in your airspace
I've got too many in my hanger (and in the pre-order and delivery pipeline) already.

But I'd like to see how this bird flies, to confirm that it should be on my short list of trainers for recommending to noobs.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

Buy one, You won't disapointed. It fly much nicer than the Champ, very smooth and can take more wind. The only thing that I don't like is the twin motor.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
Buy one, You won't disapointed. It fly much nicer than the Champ, very smooth and can take more wind. The only thing that I don't like is the twin motor.

Edmond
Huh? :-) The twin motor is a large part of the secret sauce. Sounds good, feels good. Differencial thrust allows most of the turning. It would turn like a brick with only rudder because of the eagle wing resists the rudder. All the pieces fit together like as a integrated system. Pretty neat piece of design work by QQ. The parts I don't like is the control rod system and the tx. They should change it today to a more robost system like in the t-28. And allow a std dsm2/dsmx tx to bind to it. I would dearly love to toss the red game controller.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Last edited by wjs; Dec 16, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Ugh.. Why a twin? That's twice as many motors and props for a beginner to damage. They can't possibly expect to make a lot of profit off replacements, but they HAVE still effectively locked new flyers into buying the factory props, and probably the motors as well since they're brushed.

It looks like a decent plane, but...
I thought the same thing, why 2 motors, facing frontwards especially. But I just bought one today for me and my Grandson and girlfriend to fly. I have time in with other planes but needed something a 10 year old could fly without spending a fortune. I have yet to fly this plane, but during assembly I am impressed with the construction, and it appears the props are small enough and protected enough not to get damage often unless hitting something solid Tree, ground etc. But the plane appears to want to land itself when not using power. So I believe it will be a sound, and fun plane to fly. Will post as soon as the wind is not blowing with a follow up.

Ghost
Ghost113 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost113
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:43 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,123 Posts
I was a bit worried about the twin configuration too, but have had no problems. My son stalled the Firebird flying too low and too slow and cart wheeled the plane down the runway once and there was no damage to the props other then the foam nose coming off and a black mark on the side of the fuselage. In our mid air, the plane fell 30 feet and again no motor or prop damage. I agree to the request that this plane be a BNF in the future. Even with that said I have recommended this plane to several new pilots, especially those that are young kids. They see my son flying at 8 and know it is a great plane to learn on and have fun.

FYI, my son did the test flight of his repaired Firebird without Dad's help! He did have some trim issues on take off so he needed me to punch the trim for him while he concentrate on flying the plane, but I actually didn't touch the plane till his fourth battery! He was flying like a champ and much lower and faster then Dad likes to see, but these kids like the speed and excitement
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,123 Posts
Have fun, follow the manual with setting up the elevator as it is not exactly intuitive to those of us with flight experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost113 View Post
I thought the same thing, why 2 motors, facing frontwards especially. But I just bought one today for me and my Grandson and girlfriend to fly. I have time in with other planes but needed something a 10 year old could fly without spending a fortune. I have yet to fly this plane, but during assembly I am impressed with the construction, and it appears the props are small enough and protected enough not to get damage often unless hitting something solid Tree, ground etc. But the plane appears to want to land itself when not using power. So I believe it will be a sound, and fun plane to fly. Will post as soon as the wind is not blowing with a follow up.

Ghost
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
The way the Firebird Stratos is setup with the virtual instructor, it is not possible to make the plane a BNF model. The FB Stratos is a plane that should lead you to another high wing trainer like the HZ Super Cub.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
the way the firebird stratos is setup with the virtual instructor, it is not possible to make the plane a bnf model. The fb stratos is a plane that should lead you to another high wing trainer like the hz super cub.
+1

Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:51 PM
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
The way the Firebird Stratos is setup with the virtual instructor, it is not possible to make the plane a BNF model. The FB Stratos is a plane that should lead you to another high wing trainer like the HZ Super Cub.
In my humble opinion the HZ SuperCub is too similar and not a step up. I have both and ended up clipping the SuperCub wings adding ailerons and powering it with an E-flight Power 10. SuperCub on steroids, unlimited verticle and ridiculous roll rate.

If I was to recommend a "next plane" from the Stratos I would say PZ T-28. Very stable platform that can be pushed.
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wregie View Post
In my humble opinion the HZ SuperCub is too similar and not a step up. I have both and ended up clipping the SuperCub wings adding ailerons and powering it with an E-flight Power 10. SuperCub on steroids, unlimited verticle and ridiculous roll rate.

If I was to recommend a "next plane" from the Stratos I would say PZ T-28. Very stable platform that can be pushed.
I somewhat concur with your observations... The Super Cub may be considered too tame after experiencing the Stratos for some while others, like myself, think the SC is a pretty good step "up" insofar as it offers a very stable platform but removes any automated help features, thus allowing a novice pilot an easier transition up the flying scale. Add to this the wide range of potential customization options, the SC is really a good platform for further advancement with a relatively low cost and further investment requirement.

Just my very humble take on it...

... Lennie