HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:19 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,272 Posts
Perfect that was what I needed, thanks!

Amazing plane, I cut the tail right off about 30 feet up and the damage was only the cut tail and a broken main landing gear.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:50 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,353 Posts
I got in some post-sunset flying yesterday. The Turnigy nav lights look really nice on the Stratos!

Click image to play video.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:55 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Cool flying there, BI...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:09 AM
Joined Oct 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
Perfect that was what I needed, thanks!

Amazing plane, I cut the tail right off about 30 feet up and the damage was only the cut tail and a broken main landing gear.
I have to ask how you managed to do that?
SmokeyRobinson is offline Find More Posts by SmokeyRobinson
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:15 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,272 Posts
I was flying with my son, the Firebird is his plane and I was flying my Albatros. I was doing hammerhead stall turns at each end of the field as my turn around maneuver when he flew under me just as I stalled and was diving toward the ground. My Albatros ended up cutting right through the fuselage right in front of the tail on the Firebird. He obviously could do nothing except cut the throttle and and watch. I had some damage to my top wing and one of the 4 fuselage attach points was riped out. I ended up landing on the runway fine and we recover his plane. Considering it dropped 30 feet to the ground there was almost no other damage. If that had been a balsa built plane his would have been toothpicks and I might not have made it back to the runway either. All planes are fixed and ready to go no, only took a bit of glue and some touch up paint!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Dec 18, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:37 AM
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
I keep meaning to buy the connectors when I'm at the hobby shop, but forget each time, including 2 days ago. I even told the store clerk that that's what I wanted to do and we headed over to the correct parts shelf but got sidetracked... again. The clerk told me that he called and spoke with Horizon Hobby tech support and they basically refused to tell him what the pinouts were for.

Hook 'em up and tell us how they work!

]
I was wondering if you had done any more investigations into this. I have always thought this plane was crying out for ailerons and I suspect your electronic skills may be better than mine

I haven't been flying the Stratos much because my T-28 and clipped wing SuperCub have been stealing all my attention. The chance to mod this plane, and hopefully improve it ( if that is possible), would certainly focus some of my attention. If it was confirmed that the receiver could handle another channel I would willing sacrifice my wing to the cause and document the build process and flight test.
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:28 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wregie View Post
I was wondering if you had done any more investigations into this. I have always thought this plane was crying out for ailerons and I suspect your electronic skills may be better than mine

I haven't been flying the Stratos much because my T-28 and clipped wing SuperCub have been stealing all my attention. The chance to mod this plane, and hopefully improve it ( if that is possible), would certainly focus some of my attention. If it was confirmed that the receiver could handle another channel I would willing sacrifice my wing to the cause and document the build process and flight test.
Nope, I won't have a chance to do any more with this till next month. The hobby shop that has the connector pins is 60 miles south of me so I only go down that way once a month for a regular doc appointment. While in the area, I swing over to the HS to pick up goodies, etc. I keep forgetting those pins, but the idea is definitely on my list of things to explore.

Adding ailerons sure could be fun. I'm mostly interested in a steerable tail wheel to improve ground handling. Depending on how the electronics are set up, that might be a simpler mod than ailerons though.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:01 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,272 Posts
I got an email back from Horizon Hobby and they said the RX does not have a channel for the rudder control from the TX. Our little mid air last week has put off me trying to connect a second liner micro servo to the rudder control for operating the nose wheel in a steerable manner.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,871 Posts
I guess one has to think of the HZ Firebird Stratos as a kind of "large" micro type plane. The only way I can see to do mods on the plane is to gut it and put in regular type radio and servo equipment, but, that would defeat the purpose of the plane, that of an almost fool proof trainer. BTW - In that role, the FB Stratos shines. This past weekend I took a lady friend out to the field with me because she wants to learn to fly RC. Her father was in it back in the 1980's and had some beautiful balsa and monokote sailplanes which she inherited. I took the FB Stratos up for her, and she flew it flawlessly, even when she inadvertantly let it fly behind her. She was able to bank it with no issues whatsoever. She flew the plane for around 7 minutes until the motors started to pulse at which time I landed it. She is hooked now and wants to do it again this coming weekend.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I guess one has to think of the HZ Firebird Stratos as a kind of "large" micro type plane. The only way I can see to do mods on the plane is to gut it and put in regular type radio and servo equipment, but, that would defeat the purpose of the plane, that of an almost fool proof trainer. BTW - In that role, the FB Stratos shines. This past weekend I took a lady friend out to the field with me because she wants to learn to fly RC. Her father was in it back in the 1980's and had some beautiful balsa and monokote sailplanes which she inherited. I took the FB Stratos up for her, and she flew it flawlessly, even when she inadvertantly let it fly behind her. She was able to bank it with no issues whatsoever. She flew the plane for around 7 minutes until the motors started to pulse at which time I landed it. She is hooked now and wants to do it again this coming weekend.
It's either the Stratos being a good trainer or you, chuck, being a good teacher

I've had poor weather around here for flying - maybe ten flights since September, but last two times out I found my self-confidence...

I still need more stick time but I feel I'm doing okay - thank you Stratos
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,871 Posts
Sounds like you are progressing then. See, that's the value of this plane, it helps to build your confidence. Once I got confident with the Stratos, I had absolutely no problems flying my Super Cub. In over 100 flights, I have not had any crashes, period. The worst I have done is on landing a couple of times, I encountered a curb which cracked the cowling, but that's it. I have replaced the cowling once, and replaced the wing struts once because they were getting way too floppy after numerous loops. I have my FB Stratos to thank for that. This is not to say I don't get a little anxious when I put up a new warbird, but that's another story.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:03 AM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Sounds like you are progressing then. See, that's the value of this plane, it helps to build your confidence. Once I got confident with the Stratos, I had absolutely no problems flying my Super Cub. In over 100 flights, I have not had any crashes, period. The worst I have done is on landing a couple of times, I encountered a curb which cracked the cowling, but that's it. I have replaced the cowling once, and replaced the wing struts once because they were getting way too floppy after numerous loops. I have my FB Stratos to thank for that. This is not to say I don't get a little anxious when I put up a new warbird, but that's another story.
:-). I was so confidend after many FBS flights, I bought a PZ Corsair warbird while ago. Maybe it was ignorance gets lucky, but I did manage to take off and land it alone first time out and trembled the whole time. FBS made that possible and that is saying something. Even Realflight can only take you so far. Real stick time, in real air building memory is only way go. Go statos :-) Just fly.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:16 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,272 Posts
Great job with the PZ Corsair! I have a returning pilot that was having a hell of a time with his. He had only flown a Hobbyzone Micro Champ and then jumped to the Corsair I tried to advise him to go with something a bit easier and showed him our Stratos as a great plane to fly. He did finally get a PZ T-28 and was much happier to have a relaxing flier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
:-). I was so confidend after many FBS flights, I bought a PZ Corsair warbird while ago. Maybe it was ignorance gets lucky, but I did manage to take off and land it alone first time out and trembled the whole time. FBS made that possible and that is saying something. Even Realflight can only take you so far. Real stick time, in real air building memory is only way go. Go statos :-) Just fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
Great job with the PZ Corsair! I have a returning pilot that was having a hell of a time with his. He had only flown a Hobbyzone Micro Champ and then jumped to the Corsair I tried to advise him to go with something a bit easier and showed him our Stratos as a great plane to fly. He did finally get a PZ T-28 and was much happier to have a relaxing flier.
I know what you mean. Flys like it balances on a tip of a pen. Almost wanting to stall in all directions unless your on the gas. Then it does not want to come down, so you have to fly it into the ground, then try to blead that speed off. It sure makes you work for a living. Prepare some epoxy for the gear stand-offs. I should have got the t-28 instead, but may buy this in couple days. Go fly. :-)
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:49 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,072 Posts
6ch computer transmitter

For those of you wanting to get a dx6i, but finding the original spektrum too pricey, this may be the deal:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Mode_2_.html

From what I can tell it has a few extra freatures not available on the 6i. fx a backlit display and the possibility to add a LiFePo battery. Apart from that it has all the necessary mixing, dual rates and what not. It does not however support dsmx, both dsm1 and dsm2 are supported.
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member