to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:55 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
Ok.. Guess no one knows.
Sure someone "knows"... give it some time.

In the meantime I say 'try it!'. My only input would be, careful of the CG.

Good luck.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:01 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,409 Posts
What is your goal for this? Do you have the Stratos already and are looking at getting the GoPro3? To me the smoothest in flight video filming I've seen is on either Radian or Radian Pro in the hands of a good pilot. I would use one of these instead of the Stratos.

The specs online say this camera weights only 2.6 oz which is pretty light, but I'm sure the mount and case will increase that number. I think it will add a lot of drag on top of the plane too.

Quote:
Ok.. Guess no one knows.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
I have not done it yet on this model, so take with grain of salt.
1) I would first cut one near the servo but in the rod. Cut other end too.
2) Use the old one to "fish" the new rod in by masking tape both old and new together near the ends.
3) Install the z-bend in the servo.
4) Install two small pieces (1/8") of shrink and a larger piece down the rod to save them.
5) Align both rod and z-bend similar to what is today overlap.
6) Move the small pieces of shrink to end of carbon and end of z-bend.
7) Use a heat sheld like double tin foil behind the rod to protect the RX and foam.
8) Shrink the two small pieces with lighter or heat gun. This holds the two pieces together.
9) Apply your JBWeld carefully to the joint.
10) You could move the bigger piece of shink over the whole joint to dress up. Or forget the shrink.

Do same for other rod and both Horn ends after making sure measurements are right and your clevis' end up at right spot. Screw the clevis on about half way so you have some adjustment room in both directions. This does mean the underside of the joint at the servos will not have any epoxy. I guess another way would be to remove the whole RX carefully after cutting rods and glue back in after. This would allow you to glue the rods outside and install the z-bends on the servos outside of the plane. Then fish everything back in at the same time using old rods to Fish in the new rods. Might need some help.
Thanks for your advice. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Don
king1522 is offline Find More Posts by king1522
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:27 AM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
My goal would just to fly the Stratos and film a bit with the Hero 3. I wouldn't use a case, that would be more heavy. My wife would sew me an attachment to place the cam on there.
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, VT, Plainfield
Joined Nov 2012
46 Posts
GoPro camera and other matters

1) Friend of mine attached a GoPro (not sure which one) to the underside of his Stratos, and aside from his review ("It flies like a pig") it flew pretty well. Lots of cool video.

2) What he noticed and fixed (I have noticed and not yet fixed) is that it is possible to lose rudder authority (and elevator authority) due to the flexing of the control rods - under certain conditions. He sleeved his control rods with tubing, and fixed that issue. With the plane off, wiggle the rudder (gently) while looking at the control rod where it comes into the control board. it will flex a lot (to one side), and hit the fuselage as it tries to flex to the other. I do like the idea of the tubing fix, and will implement.

3) Haven't done this yet (and it's a bit risky), but I'm considering adding a bit to the rudder to get better low-speed rudder authority. Increases stall risk, tho', without ginger control handling.

Best....
LackOfAltitude is offline Find More Posts by LackOfAltitude
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Do you think the new GoPro Hero3 could be connected to the Stratos for filming flying? It is much smaller than the Hero or Hero2 and weighs less. Has anyone tried and had success?
I have flown the Stratos with my Gopro. I had to mount it back close to the wing for COG. Still it handled a bit sluggish and was difficult to land. Dont recommend the Gopro Hero or Hero 2. However the HERO 3 since it is much lighter maybe a safer bet.
Malinois1 is offline Find More Posts by Malinois1
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:46 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
My vote... 808 keychain cam (#16).
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:37 PM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,095 Posts
The safest bet would be an 808. Their cheaper, lightweight, and more aerodynamical
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:44 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk74 View Post
The safest bet would be an 808. Their cheaper, lightweight, and more aerodynamical
A camera that I've used successfully on a Firebird Stratos is the HobbyKing Wing Camera. It's less expensive, lighter weight, and more aerodynamic than a GoPro. It's not as good either, but it works.

Here are a few samples using this camera from my Firebird Stratos:

Firebird Stratos with camera on board (1 min 53 sec)

High Speed, Low Altitude (0 min 58 sec)
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Great videos, Jay.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:37 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
Very nice, thank you guys. I'll look into them!
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Was a no fly time last weekend and this weekend coming looks to be another windy affair... Blah!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:44 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Was a no fly time last weekend and this weekend coming looks to be another windy affair... Blah!
When you want to step up a notch (4 channel) and be able to fly in more wind and not be boxed out, I can recommend the Reno Racer by Hacker Models
http://www.equationoftime.com/RenoRacersEPP.html

I recommend for following.
1) Nice and thick profile EPP foam. Very touph.
2) Quick and easy ARF. Wing, rudder, stab, controls and one or two holes in foam. Get motor, ESC, rx, and batt from Grayson in usa or HK if you don't mind waiting for shipping.
3) Can go like crazy, but is also extreamly stable at low speed. Add about 60% expo on first flights to take the edge off it.
4) Featured in Park Flyer last issue.
5) Can hover and a bit of 3d and knife edge, etc.
6) Space to add a RX3S OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer and really shake your first at the wind when others go home.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
When you want to step up a notch (4 channel) and be able to fly in more wind and not be boxed out, I can recommend the Reno Racer by Hacker Models
http://www.equationoftime.com/RenoRacersEPP.html

I recommend for following.
1) Nice and thick profile EPP foam. Very touph.
2) Quick and easy ARF. Wing, rudder, stab, controls and one or two holes in foam. Get motor, ESC, rx, and batt from Grayson in usa or HK if you don't mind waiting for shipping.
3) Can go like crazy, but is also extreamly stable at low speed. Add about 60% expo on first flights to take the edge off it.
4) Featured in Park Flyer last issue.
5) Can hover and a bit of 3d and knife edge, etc.
6) Space to add a RX3S OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer and really shake your first at the wind when others go home.

Just ordered a AXN cloud flyer for the windy days haven't flown in a week...Arrgh
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio