HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:06 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Fly day...

Today's looking good... winds right now are 3 mph out of the southwest, sun's on the rise... but it's COLD; 28F.

Gonna load up the stuff and head to my flying area.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:44 AM
20+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Ouch...

As to "down elevator/full throttle" thing, I still think it's to do with the setup trimming.

Hope he decides to repair his Stratos, give it another go.

... Lennie
It's not. You can check it yourself without the motors & wing installed. With the airplane correctly trimmed and the throttle at low, feed in down elevator with the stick until the elevator is neutral. In flight, you'd be diving slightly at this point. Then hit the throttle to full and you'll see that even more down elevator is automatically input by the VI. That's the thing I'm talking about.

Maybe after hunting season is over I'll be able to go flying and video a demo for everyone of what it's like.

As for my buddy, his fuselage is bashed up but the wing and electronics are okay. I suggested to him that he just buy another fuse. He said he might do that but that he has difficulty manipulating the tiny pushrods and clevises. We'll see what happens. Meanwhile, he bought yet another Parkfly F4U Corsair to beat up.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:29 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Ah... okay BigIron, I can actually mentally envision what you're talking about.

I actually had to add one click of down trim to mine... the least bit of throttle and she was climbing. Plus, when I powered off and went dead stick and no hands flying, she wanted to nose up. Even after trimming a little I still have to compensate with a bit of down elevator to keep her in level flight.

... Lennie

PS... good luck to your friend.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:32 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Today's looking good... winds right now are 3 mph out of the southwest, sun's on the rise... but it's COLD; 28F.

Gonna load up the stuff and head to my flying area.

Just returned from my flying area. Although cold, the weather is perfect. Near zero wind, very sunny and clear.

Set my phone for 10 minutes and launched her. About 7, 8 minutes of lazy soaring about... nice, relaxing. A few times I had the sun right in my eyes and lost her - I just kept the controls neutral until I could pick her up again then kept going.

Nice easy, soft landing and headed home. I had my second battery ready but my toes were getting a bit numb.

Think I'm ready to stick the wheels on and try take off and landings on the pavement. Will give that a try next flight.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:56 PM
I Fly!
jrtubb's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,276 Posts
I'm sorry but this points to the plane not being setup correctly per the manual. I posted this awhile ago, but if you follow the manual directions you will have no down elevator with full throttle. It should be neutral and flat the the horizontal stabilizer. In fact the plane will climb with full throttle as it should respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
See "Control Surfaces Centering" pg 10 http://www.hobbyzonerc.com/ProdInfo/...-Manual_EN.pdf

It isn't intuitive from a normal RC plane and experience. You have to trim the elevator level by adjusting the elevator clevis with the throttle at max (discount the wing and motors).
Please go back and follow these setup procedures and you will not have any issue with full throttle causing down elevator, you will have a neutral elevator to horizontal stabilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
It's not. You can check it yourself without the motors & wing installed. With the airplane correctly trimmed and the throttle at low, feed in down elevator with the stick until the elevator is neutral. In flight, you'd be diving slightly at this point. Then hit the throttle to full and you'll see that even more down elevator is automatically input by the VI. That's the thing I'm talking about.

Maybe after hunting season is over I'll be able to go flying and video a demo for everyone of what it's like.

As for my buddy, his fuselage is bashed up but the wing and electronics are okay. I suggested to him that he just buy another fuse. He said he might do that but that he has difficulty manipulating the tiny pushrods and clevises. We'll see what happens. Meanwhile, he bought yet another Parkfly F4U Corsair to beat up.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:42 PM
Registered User
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
108 Posts
Control rod replacement kit

I assume the little pieces of rubber tubing in the package are heat shrink meant to join the parts?

Thanks
Don
king1522 is offline Find More Posts by king1522
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:28 PM
I Fly!
jrtubb's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,276 Posts
Yes, I would tack them with CA glue and tread and cover with the heat shrink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king1522 View Post
I assume the little pieces of rubber tubing in the package are heat shrink meant to join the parts?

Thanks
Don
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:08 AM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
I would *not use CA again on these joints. Have had and seen many break. For the life of me, I can't understand why so many on the INET suggest this. This is not the place for saving a bit of time. CA is not the right glue for these high stress joints on shiny metal to metal or metal to carbon thin joints. This is the biggest issue with the factory default joints - they can and *will break at some point and you will loose control, or crash, or worse. I recommend you use JB Weld or Epoxy only (not welders, not Goop, and not GG either). Totally worth an extra minutes of work. You could use shrink after that for the look, but is optional with JBWeld. I kinda like the look of a nice JB Weld joint. Looks like a glossy metal or resin joint. Rough up both surfaces first with sandpaper/nail file and apply. You can use two small pieces of shrink on both ends first to kinda "tack" the two rods next to each other to make it a bit easier to apply epoxy to both sides of joint at same time without rods wondering about. Then shrink around the whole joint and over the two small shink pieces for a nice finish. Or shrink a temp piece of shrink over half of the joint, and epoxy exposed side. When epoxy is tacky, gently cut off temp piece of shrink and epoxy other half of joint (both sides) so the whole joint now has end-to-end epoxy. Or do one complete side of joints then flip over and do other side after glue sets up a bit. What ever works. Save your CA for wood and foam.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:29 AM
Registered User
Wregie's Avatar
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king1522 View Post
I assume the little pieces of rubber tubing in the package are heat shrink meant to join the parts?

Thanks
Don
I think you might find that they are tiny pieces of fuel tubing used to hold the clevis's in place on the horns. I wouldn't recommend trying heat on those

There was definitely no heat shrink in my box.
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:52 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wregie View Post
I think you might find that they are tiny pieces of fuel tubing used to hold the clevis's in place on the horns. I wouldn't recommend trying heat on those

There was definitely no heat shrink in my box.
You are absolutely correct, Wregie...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts


Finally... installed the landing gear. Sadly, a bit too breezy to try takeoff/landings on pavement this morning.

Maybe the wind will die down some later this afternoon - if not, will try again next weekend.

Now I'm nervous all over again.. but I KNOW I can do this

.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:34 AM
20+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
I'm sorry but this points to the plane not being setup correctly per the manual. I posted this awhile ago, but if you follow the manual directions you will have no down elevator with full throttle. It should be neutral and flat the the horizontal stabilizer. In fact the plane will climb with full throttle as it should respond.

Please go back and follow these setup procedures and you will not have any issue with full throttle causing down elevator, you will have a neutral elevator to horizontal stabilizer.
And I'm sorry that you don't understand what has already been written... several times. Please go read this entire thread which was posted several months ago and not just a single post. Maybe then you'll understand what has been discussed and shown on video.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:58 AM
I Fly!
jrtubb's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,276 Posts
I have read this whole thread, and I saw this happen as I first hooked up my elevator control rod to the elevator without adjusting the connection. I also read youost when it came out too. I respectfully recommend you adjust that control rod length to have a neutral elevator at full throttle, if I follow you pictures it looks like you still have slight down elevator even at full throttle. Under full throttle this plane climbs out and gains altitude. As a club instructor I teach students to control their altitude with throttle and avoid extrem elevator inputs. This is usually the hardest skill to learn well, but will make a big difference in smooth control and flying.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
And I'm sorry that you don't understand what has already been written... several times. Please go read this entire thread which was posted several months ago and not just a single post. Maybe then you'll understand what has been discussed and shown on video.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Nov 25, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:10 AM
20+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
I have read this whole thread, and I saw this happen as I first hooked up my elevator control rod to the elevator without adjusting the connection. If you set the elevator control length to neutral with the throttle at full (wings not hooked up), then you will not get down input causing the plane to dive under full throttle. If you do not do this then you will have a plane that maintains level flight under full throttle, which is not a good thing. As a club instructor I teach students to control their altitude with throttle and avoid extrem elevator inputs.
Did you read the entire thread that I linked above? As an RC pilot with 20 years experience and a retired NASA aerospace engineer, I do know what I'm talking about. Please read the other thread that I linked above.

My plane and my buddy's plane are both set up correctly. If the Stratos is correctly set up with neutral elevator at full throttle and the throttle is reduced to idle... AND DOWN ELEVATOR IS THEN MANUALLY INPUT BY THE PILOT to induce a dive... and THEN the throttle is increased to full, MORE down elevator will be input by the VI. This is normal for the Stratos VI but can lead to a sudden deep dive at full throttle. If a beginner is not ready for it, then problems and destruction can arise.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:41 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
I have a feeling is the answer is no, but will this carry a Go Pro?

Specs say plane is 17 oz. GP weighs 6.7 oz in the case with mount, 3.5 oz naked.
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HobbyZone Firebird Commander 2 jakob98 Electric Sailplanes 0 Sep 09, 2011 05:48 PM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom parts - $30 take all PACubFlyer103 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 07, 2011 05:34 AM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw RTF - Great for kids and/or beginners baddb1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 08, 2011 07:36 PM
Discussion Why was HobbyZone Firebird Freedom RTF dicontinued? cschrein Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Apr 19, 2011 07:15 AM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Commander 2 Plus Extras banjo_nc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Apr 01, 2011 07:49 PM