SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
Yes indeed. They look similar, both visually and the way they fly. The Ember II is more bang for the buck, unless you already have a spektrum dsm2/dsmx transmitter. Like you say, it's different strokes for different blokes

Nice set of wheels btw
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
No fly zone...

Up and out at sunrise... loaded the Stratos and accessories into the Charger and headed for my flying area.

It was nearly dead calm when I drove off... 20 minutes later, at the field, the winds had risen to about 10 mph. Add to this temps in the upper 30's, I told myself...

Maybe try later this evening, before sunset.

.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Up and out at sunrise... loaded the Stratos and accessories into the Charger and headed for my flying area.

It was nearly dead calm when I drove off... 20 minutes later, at the field, the winds had risen to about 10 mph. Add to this temps in the upper 30's, I told myself...

Maybe try later this evening, before sunset.

Ohh man, been there (not the flying site ) Hope you get some flight time later.
I got out with my 4.y.o son earlier this AM. Heres the footage:

Firebird Stratos & HQ Spirit Boomerang (4 min 38 sec)

This is the best footage I have so far. I am hopeful of getting an 808 on top of the plane, at the CG. Then again I don't have any idea when my 3rd flight will be
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk74 View Post
Ohh man, been there (not the flying site ) Hope you get some flight time later.
I got out with my 4.y.o son earlier this AM.

This is the best footage I have so far. I am hopeful of getting an 808 on top of the plane, at the CG. Then again I don't have any idea when my 3rd flight will be
That's a GREAT video, NH!! It's obvious you both had a ball, both flying, filming and tossing the boomerang about.

Your son is cute as a button, my friend - precious moments.

And for you - great flying my friend!

I didn't get back out yesterday.. but I should have, the winds did calm - maybe Thanksgiving Day, Thursday.

Thanks for sharing,

... Lennie
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Aug 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wregie View Post
I took the plunge an bought a PZ T-28.
I maidened it yesterday, 3 flights. Hand launch and belly landing due to the field I use. It won't self level like the Stratos, it goes where you point it. The elevator is very touchy and needs calming down with reduced throw or expo but all in all it is easy to fly. If you give it full throttle it will rip along but it will
also cruise around on half throttle. The glide path is steeper and you need to level off early to kill some speed before flare or it will balloon.

I am sorry to go off topic a bit but I know some of you are thinking of a
second plane. I wouldn't recommend the HZ Super Cub unless you are going to chop it, up grade the motor and add ailerons because it simply isn't a step forward just sideways. The T-28 is another challenge
but you shouldn't be daunted. If you are proficient and confident on the Stratos you will like the T-28.
You really have me thinking about a T-28 instead of the Apprentice now. I've been reading up on it and watching videos. What's better PNP or BNF I see it comes both ways I plan to pick up a dx6i
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:08 AM
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
You really have me thinking about a T-28 instead of the Apprentice now. I've been reading up on it and watching videos. What's better PNP or BNF I see it comes both ways I plan to pick up a dx6i
It depends what kit you already have. If you ha a suitable receiver, batteries and charger go for the PNP. I bought the BNF because it was all I could get. Ironically I could not get the supplied charger to work either in my car or with a power supply but fortunately I had another charger. I also bought some Turnigy 2200s which I use in the stock battery position with no discernible difference in flight.

Th t-28 is a great plane. I have settled into it well. As well as being capable of being docile it is very agile and can excite. The elevator is VERY responsive and I had to calm mine down. It's a joy now.

I still fly my Stratos
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
awwww...finally got my Stratos up in the Air this eve before sunset, had my cheapo 808 cam first time...and duhhh not only did it crash nose heavy....I take the cam and put on my hat to get some air footage...flew for about 6 min. Then got the champ out never turning off cam...flew at least 10 minutes thinking I gonna get some cool sunset vids....get home...I never put the micro SD card back in the cheapo 808 cam...geez Louise....If nothing else I had a good 40 minutes of flying time in...
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Last edited by Ginohio; Nov 20, 2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: flying time includes mytrip to the field and back also to the time keepers on here...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
awwww...finally got my Stratos up in the Air this eve before sunset, had my cheapo 808 cam first time...and duhhh not only did it crash nose heavy....I take the cam and put on my hat to get some air footage...flew for about 6 min. Then got the champ out never turning off cam...flew at least 10 minutes thinking I gonna get some cool sunset vids....get home...I never put the micro SD card back in the cheapo 808 cam...geez Louise....If nothing else I had a good 40 minutes of flying time in...
Haha been there done that....on several occations...also the "forget to erase data" or "forgot to charge prior to flight".
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving gang!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving gang!
+1

Have a safe and great Thanksgiving all... Comforting thought, winds have been very decent in Ohio this week. May have to try and fly while keeping an eye on my deep fried turkey.. Heheh..
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving gang!
+1 and remember to check those Black Friday deals
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:44 AM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Night...

Although interesting, by the time one buys the TX, battery, charger and plane, the cost is way above that of the Stratos.

The other option is similar - the Ember 2 RTF @ $99.99 (http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ3400)

My vote remains with the Stratos... but it's all a matter of personal choice.
... Lennie
The Night Vapor is RTF with battery, charger, and tx. Same cost as Statos. The BNF version is $99.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-rtf-PKZU1100
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-bnf-PKZU1180

If someone will only buy one, then this is hard to beat as you don't need a big field either and can walk out your back door and fly anytime (<=5mph wind or so). I have both and probably fly the NV more, mainly because I don't need to drive to the park or field. However, at the field, I fly my Stratos more then any other plane because it is just fun and relaxing and don't really have to worry about crash like in other birds. The NV scores one more point with me as I can bind it to my DX8 and don't have to keep track of a seperate game TX. My one beef with Status is the dependency on its own game TX. Not a major deal, just that if you have a good TX, you want to use it for all your planes. Also for a newbe, it is far less intimidating and somewhat more forgiving of error and crash - which seems counter to its delicate appearance. Either one, or preferrably both :-)
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
As I wrote, wjs - a personal choice.

All that matters (to me) is to enjoy the hobby.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:56 AM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,492 Posts
Well, my buddy got a Stratos in September and told me yesterday that he smashed it in awhile ago. I haven't been flying with him since August. He's been flying RC for over 5 years and has quite a few planes, including a Stryker and several EDFs. He said he had the tricky down elevator/full throttle situation that I've mentioned before and that he was just too low when it happened... and KERSPLAT!

Dunno about that guy sometimes. LOL!
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Ouch...

As to "down elevator/full throttle" thing, I still think it's to do with the setup trimming.

Hope he decides to repair his Stratos, give it another go.

... Lennie