HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Hey guys, considering buying the Stratos soon. I live in Japan so may have to import it, unless I can find one here.
A few questions, I am a newbie. I haven't flown much, just an AR Drone 2.0 with the magyver mod to allow me to use an RC controller and I bought a Hawkeye II kite glider. I fly the drone always, that's simple.. But the Hawkeye is a bit harder. I have had some successful flights and it's fun.. But I need way more practice. I crashed once and messed it up a bit. I wanna buy a Stratos and teach myself better so I can get into more RC things down the road.
Is the Stratos that easy to fly? I have seen videos of newbies flying for the first time doing quite well. Is it easy to repair? I am sure I'll crash a few times. And, is this the best newbie friendly plane to get so far?
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,122 Posts
Depends, do you have a large area to fly in? Do you have a simulator to practice on? If yes then I think you could do it. If not it will be difficult, plus this plane is bigger and faster so it can do some damage.

For simple to fly and less damage potential I think the Hobbyzone micro champ is a good first plane to learn on with no help plus it has less to break.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Yep, got plenty of room. I can go to the mountains here and have a large area. But I could use a sim, looking at a few lately.

Champ looks kinda fun and easy, I may get both.. The Champ and the Stratos! I can practice with the Champ and then work my way up.
The prices seem very cheap and good for an RTF
Last edited by Bravia3D; Nov 10, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Bravia...

If I can do it, YOU can do it!

Go for the Stratos... excellent aircraft.

Good luck!

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
I'll try again...

My new Stratos transporter...

2013 Dodge Charger SXT (1 min 41 sec)
Last edited by .quietguy; Nov 13, 2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: YouTube posting issues...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
Thanks to all for the information and advice. I admit some of it was over my head in terms of imagining how I would actually carry it out, since I have no "build/installation" experience whatsoever. Scott9434's suggestion sounds better and simpler than messing with the stock flexible push-rods and shrinkwrap, so I'll give that a try.

As an aside, are there instructional DVD's demonstrating really basic stuff like how to install and adjust push-rods, servos, ESC's, and motors for newbies who didn't know what those things were 5 months ago? I'm on my first RC airplane--- RTF--- and I'd like to eventually move on to BNF, PNP, and ARF airplanes, but I've found very little so far about these really basic skills. Are those kinds of instructional resources out there? Tom
try checking youtube good resource for how to's, yet the Stratos is still "fairly" new but keep checking.
Good Luck Flying,
Greg
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:56 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,122 Posts
This is a free simulator, just have to get a controller. You can even download a startos and a champ to practice with.

http://rcdeskpilot.com/
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
Look under scratch build foamies
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685988
I am currently trying to build this read through the thread you find some info on servos etc. I am new in this also and decided I was gonna build this plane. Have my foam cut and glued and just got my motor servos and such yesterday so This week I will start the electronics install for this bugger. Sorry, I read your post fast and replied without seeing your actual question.
Greg
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Got a Fly Sky FS-CT6B controller, it's all set up on my PC and works.. But rcdeskpilot don't detect it. Real Flight demo don't also
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:28 AM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
872 Posts
Maiden

hi all,

I'm back with my #2 and did my Maiden--and now all is fine
I did 4 flights with my 2s/1000mAh Turnigy packs, takeoff approx 4meter strip onto a field sand way-it works ! Landing without wind and with few wind are the best conditons for the stratos.
Power is o.k. the two brush motors have enough power- plane is very stable during flight and so I have to say my vote:

1A- QQ did a good job and I'm very happy with the Stratos- I'm not a beginner but also have fun with it and make a landing challenge on our small landing strip myself- nice plane, works fine, a perfect beginner plane
Next, my family have to learn flying
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
hi all,

I'm back with my #2 and did my Maiden--and now all is fine
I did 4 flights
Way to go, Count!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:12 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
@Bravia3D. Love the statos. But for true beginners, I would recommend the Night Vapor first. Get the feel of patterns and perspective on a very low stess platform to really learn to fly and enjoy it. Besides, the lights really do allow to fly in low light and in the back yard which means you fly more. Ironically, it also somehow handles wind as good or better because it floats as much as flies. At least gives a bit more reaction time. NV also bit more durable then champ or others, especially for new thumbs. It is so light, it makes it hard to hurt it. NV and Statos, will use both. :-)
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:32 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
@Bravia3D. Love the statos. But for true beginners, I would recommend the Night Vapor first.
Post a link? Be helpful to have.

Good suggestion.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:38 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Post a link? Be helpful to have.

Good suggestion.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...rodID=PKZU1180

Yeah I got one of those. It's good indoors, but great outdoors in the dark

It is very easy to fix...hotglue usually does the trick.
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dualsky Hornet 460
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Thanks, Night...

Although interesting, by the time one buys the TX, battery, charger and plane, the cost is way above that of the Stratos.

The other option is similar - the Ember 2 RTF @ $99.99 (http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ3400)

My vote remains with the Stratos... but it's all a matter of personal choice.

... Lennie