SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
I agree with the gliding capabilities of the Stratos... actually, I enjoy gliding it.

I've been a bit conservative insofar as avoiding windy days... but I finally feel my confidence growing and my flying improving.

Sounds like you've almost outgrown your Stratos, Hooter.. all your aerobatics and such. Have you considered a more advanced aircraft?

My next plane will be the Hobbyzone Super Cub, then maybe a powered glider.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:25 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,324 Posts
Lennie

Your flying is pretty good, I think the Super Cub would be too easy / similar to the Stratos. I really like my Radian Pro, it is a great flying plane. It is a bit more sensitive to fly then a 3 channel trainer but with some sim time and careful flying you should be good. If you aren't sure about the step to a Pro then the Radian is a great second plane too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
I agree with the gliding capabilities of the Stratos... actually, I enjoy gliding it.

I've been a bit conservative insofar as avoiding windy days... but I finally feel my confidence growing and my flying improving.

Sounds like you've almost outgrown your Stratos, Hooter.. all your aerobatics and such. Have you considered a more advanced aircraft?

My next plane will be the Hobbyzone Super Cub, then maybe a powered glider.

... Lennie
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
Lennie

Your flying is pretty good, I think the Super Cub would be too easy / similar to the Stratos. I really like my Radian Pro, it is a great flying plane. It is a bit more sensitive to fly then a 3 channel trainer but with some sim time and careful flying you should be good. If you aren't sure about the step to a Pro then the Radian is a great second plane too.
I agree, having flown my nephews Super cub, We enjoy the Stratos more. I'm thinking my next plane will be a four channel most likely the Apprentice.
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Lennie

Thank you jr... for both the positive comment and your suggestion.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
I agree, having flown my nephews Super cub, We enjoy the Stratos more. I'm thinking my next plane will be a four channel most likely the Apprentice.
I agree regarding the Stratos - today was the first day I relaxed some, actually enjoyed just flying the FB.

And, everything I've read and the videos I've seen on the Apprentice say that's a fine model.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:13 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,324 Posts
Quote:
And, everything I've read and the videos I've seen on the Apprentice say that's a fine model.
I've seen the Apprentice fly and it is a very nice large trainer. Again with some 4 channel sim time you should be good.

Until I tried the Stratos, I was a traditional instructor and recommended the large electric trainers with a buddy boxed trainer and weeks of flying to get a pilot to solo. I now show off the Stratos to new pilots and tell them we can most likely get them ready to solo at the field within 5-6 flights. Only reason I make that rule is our field is a AMA field with a lot of different aircraft flying and you need to get comfortable in that kind of controlled environment vs flying by yourself in a park.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
I've seen the Apprentice fly and it is a very nice large trainer. Again with some 4 channel sim time you should be good.
http://www.ampdraw.com/search/?title...7&recall=false

A good price at this online retailer. To see their price, click "add to cart" and it'll be displayed.

Best with your upgrade.

... Lennie

Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:51 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,324 Posts
Steerable nose wheel?

Has anyone looked at adding a steerable nose wheel? Is there a rudder channel on the rx? That would be pretty cool to add if possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,047 Posts
I just waiting for some decent weather to fly something....anything, it has rained here all week...ugh...I did start building a scratch build with my down time though..need the motor and servos to complete it..should have those by the end of the week...man this is very addictive hobby...lol
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:46 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,467 Posts
I finally got a chance to fly my Stratos with the nav lights installed this evening. So cool!! It was actually darker outside than the video shows. My camera always brightens video when recording. The LED lights showed up really well even after my normal "qutting" time due to lack of light. I was able to get a solid 1/2 hour after sunset and could have continued flying but ran out of battery juice!

My wife took nearly 50 short length videos, so I put a few together here.

Click to play video:

BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:48 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone looked at adding a steerable nose wheel? Is there a rudder channel on the rx? That would be pretty cool to add if possible.
There appear to be 3 additional servo connections on the receiver, but I haven't had a chance to check into them further. Might be possible that one of those could run a nosewheel servo.

Sure would be nice to have a steerable nosewheel!
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:38 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Your lights are excellent, bigiron. Very easy to see. Good flying. Lots of light poles - were me, I'd most likely hit every one.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:14 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
I finally got a chance to fly my Stratos with the nav lights installed this evening. So cool!! It was actually darker outside than the video shows. My camera always brightens video when recording. The LED lights showed up really well even after my normal "qutting" time due to lack of light. I was able to get a solid 1/2 hour after sunset and could have continued flying but ran out of battery juice!
That looks awesome! Hopefully you can give us some information on what you purchase and how you installed it.
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:24 AM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Your lights are excellent, bigiron. Very easy to see. Good flying. Lots of light poles - were me, I'd most likely hit every one.
I have over 20 years RC flying experience, so the poles are no biggie for me. I fly above the large grass field that you can see on my landing approach and only drop down over the pavement for takeoffs and landings.

And depending on wind direction, I sometimes don't have to deal with the poles either, as the pavement abuts the grassy field and I can take off parallel to the poles, then bank left and climb out over the field.

Like so:

CLICK TO PLAY VIDEO:

Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:26 AM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
That looks awesome! Hopefully you can give us some information on what you purchase and how you installed it.
There's some info on this thread that I started about the lights.