SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,802 Posts
Your'e not THE Smokey Robinson are ya???
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
89 Posts
No just A Smokey Robinson
SmokeyRobinson is offline Find More Posts by SmokeyRobinson
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,802 Posts
Ok, I was about to start singing "Tears of a Clown."
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Ok, I was about to start singing "Tears of a Clown."
thank you for not singing

.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,802 Posts
Actually, I am a singer and guitarist in a rock 'n roll band so I could sing and be in tune.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
This is a fantasic plane. I would hate to limit its title as a trainer as it is so much fun for anyone. Thing just wants to fly and 5-10mph wind is more fun (after practice).
Quick tip on replacing props. Hold the prop shaft with thin pliers or hemostat and pull off. You can use heat gun on *old prop only. Do *not get heat gun anywhere near the new props. Instead, heat the prop shaft a bit with a lighter for a second or two (not too hot), then push on new prop. Only complaint is the "jointed" push rods. They are a weak spot in system. Add some epoxy or CA carefully to the joint locations between the exposed rod pair. Don't get any on pushrod channels, etc. I might even consider making new rods without the joints, but would need to figure out how to attach the larger rod diameter to the servos. I assume the joints are a speed manufacturing trick and to reduce rod diameter at server end. However, not a great idea as a joint break will cause crash at best.
I am also in the camp where I would just love to bind this to my DX8 instead, but the multi-engine mixing seems to be a sticky point.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:13 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
This is a fantasic plane....................................

..............I am also in the camp where I would just love to bind this to my DX8 instead, but the multi-engine mixing seems to be a sticky point.
Don't waste your time and effort trying the binding to Dx8. it is made for the red Tx only.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Last edited by Thetis; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,802 Posts
Yep, the Stratos will not bind to ANY other TX but the red stock one.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Five weeks since my first flights... but Sunday's shaping up to possibly be my second. Prediction: 5 mph breezes but it's gonna be cold.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,233 Posts
Well my son had a great day yesterday, 3 flights all by himself, 2 perfect landings. He is loving his FB and is teaching him great control. He is almost ready to fly without Dad at his side.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,057 Posts
Maidened!!!

Today was a bit windier than predicted, but took a chance and, tossed the bugger against the wind. She really wanted to get up, at only 3/4 throttle. Turning it against the wind, had me fiddeling with elevator imputs, at 5m/s I was expecting it. Crashed a few times, seperating the wings, but that was it. A little dirt on the underbelly was the only sign of usage.
Great plane. Deffinately among my top 3 planes.
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Nighthawk74; Oct 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:15 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk74 View Post
Maidened!!!

Today was a bit windier than predicted, but took a chance and, tossed the bugger against the wind. She really wanted to get up, at only 3/4 throttle. Turning it against the wind, had me fiddeling with elevator imputs, at 5m/s I was expecting it. Crashed a few times, seperating the wings, but that was it. A little dirt on the underbelly was the only sign of usage.
Great plane. Deffinately among my top 3 planes.
Congrats on the maiden my friend! Glad you got her up - did you get her trimmed out?

Tomorrow's prediction here: 5 mph breezes... I plan to get out early! Second time up for me.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
693 Posts
I'm not sure where all the praise for this plane is coming from. I've been flying for 25 years and helped a guy last Thursday fly his Firebird. It may have been one of the worst flying airplanes in recent memory. I think the differential thrust with the motors coupled to the rudder might be mostly to blame.

When I would give moderate rudder input the plane would bank hard, climb and then spiral downward. You had to give VERY slight rudder input to complete a smooth (level) turn. With the power off and gliding, the rudder was mostly ineffective. It seemed that it would turn left but at no point would it turn right off power. I doubled checked all the controls and everything worked fine. I think the engineers really over thought the electronics in this thing, I was actually nervous trying to land it! I've flown 140 mph airplanes that offered a less stressful experience.

Maybe most of the praise is coming from guys that are new to the hobby and haven't flown anything else but I can promise you there are FAR better trainers on the market.
cannondale1974 is offline Find More Posts by cannondale1974
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:26 PM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Congrats on the maiden my friend! Glad you got her up - did you get her trimmed out?

Tomorrow's prediction here: 5 mph breezes... I plan to get out early! Second time up for me.
It can handle 5mph breezes quite well, it's the gusts you gotta worry about. Early is allways a good idea. Get up before the wind does

The trims where spot on. All that down time gave me plenty of time to go over the control surfaces.

Have a nice 2nd
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,802 Posts
Your post cannondale is EXACTLY the opposite of the way mine flies. It is critical that the HZ Firebird Stratos be correctly trimmed before she flies. I flew mine in 15 mph winds today and she flew great. Trim her right the first time and you will be amazed at how she flies. Maybe you just got a lemon. I have way over 100 flights on mine with NO problems whatsoever.