SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:09 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
The temps here in north Texas are perfect - mid 70's to low 80's during the day, down into the low 50's at night - love it.

I can only fly weekends in the area I chose - next door to a high school. Then it seems, come the week end, the dang Texas winds kick up. Oh well, I'll get my time (I hope ).

Be safe with all those weapons my friend...
Still been hitting the mid to upper 80s here; hit 90 a couple days ago. Overnight temps have been in the upper 60s but it's finally dropping now. Was 61 here this morning and supposed to get to 54 overnight tonight. It's "only" 81 now. LOL

Am always safe with weapons. And the critters are safest of all because I haven't seen a thing yet this year!

Just spoke with my wife and we're going to go flying this evening if the wind drops a little.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:07 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Good luck with your first flights, Nighthawk!

First and last flights for me were September 22nd - again, too windy today here in north Texas, Ugh.

I've got withdrawals... hahaha

... Lennie
Ohh man do I know how that feels. Thats why I'm on my 2nd year of "noobing" in this Hobby. I have tried kites, boomerangs, throw gliders...but they just arent as fun as getting a plank up.

There is very little wind here at the moment, just waiting for a little more light.
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
I did get out for a short while to fly yesterday evening. It was still pretty breezy and I flew my PZ Decathlon first. That thing bounced around all over the place. I only flew a couple of circuits before landing it, then waited about 20 minutes before putting the Stratos up. Still breezy and the Stratos too bounced around. So, we parked both planes for about 40 more minutes and I flew both again. By then it was sundown and close to twilight. Still a bit breezy but better.

We had moved locations in the park to an area which was more open. I flew the Decathlon first and after my 2nd landing we taped a 3 LED UV hatlight onto the top of the Decathlon wing and tried to get it to take off, but without luck. The poor thing just couldn't handle it and I ended up breaking a prop.

We then taped the hatlight onto the Stratos and it flew as normal! I gave it just a little bit longer ground roll on takeoff and it lifted off smoothly. I made several circuits with low & slow flybys and seeing that eerie purple glow from the front of the Stratos was way cool! This plane definitely would be great with nav lights!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
I'm green with envy, BigIron...

Winds here today; 20 to 30 mph.

Been 4 blasted weeks now since my two brief maiden flights of my Stratos. I think I've forgotten what the sticks feel like.

Glad you had fun, man.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:51 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
After cleaning up leaves for most of the day around 5:00 PM I noticed the wind speed had dropped to almost 0, Soooooooooo....I grabbed my Champ and also the Stratos and went up to the local racetrack and warmed up with the Champ for about half an hr. Now I haven't flown the Stratos since July because it was crashing to much, which was because of the elevator linkage slipping I found out. So I put CA glue on it. First time since I have owned it and got almost a whole battery in without crashing. What a great evening for kicking back and flying. And finally glad I decided to take the Stratos it has been sitting idle for way to long.
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:36 PM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,095 Posts
Great you guys got some flight time

Weather here turned out drizzly with strongish gusts later on. I decided on checking my control surfaces, and mixing. The dual motors sound awesome. I fired them up and the kids came running, with big smiles on their faces. By the time the weather was flight rdy, it was too dark to fly So took out my Night Vapor for a good 20mins over and around the house.

If this is what autumn/fall has to offer bring on winter
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Just want to intro myself and give my experience.

I've been flying heli's for some time now. All electric.

I wanted to get into planes and started researching. This plane is what I came up with as a good beginner to light intermediate aircraft. Took her on her maiden flight today and all went very well. I only have the single battery right now, so I was left wanting as soon as my timer (I use the timer on my iPhone) went off. Did a couple of errands while the battery recharged in my car and ended up flying till it was drained once again.

Having been in aviation for over 24 years, I understand quite well how various aircraft fly/are flown. With the help of this trainer aircraft, I was flying immediately and landing was easier than I had thought it would be. Even though surface winds were steady at 10kts with gusts to 15, the direction remained within a few degrees of South. At altitude, around 300', the winds were significantly higher, and except for a slight wobble under full power upon initial turn-in to the wind, the Stratos was quite stable.

Flying the downwind approach for multiple landings was uneventful since I already know when an aircraft needs power. MANY hours on Real Flight 3.0-5.0 and also, another program I can't recall at the moment, have paid off. I took video wearing my Hero2 on the head harness, but have yet to edit. I'll try to get that up tomorrow.

On the initial test flight, there were no surprises. Having already completed a ground trim, the in-flight trimming was minimal. I was initially a bit put off by the VI inputs, but after a couple of minutes, I could appreciate just how well it works.

After landing from the test flight, I did a few more practice approaches and landings from a differential of up to 90 from the wind direction. Seems like under 10kts or so, the airplane could almost land itself despite a cross-wind. Anything higher than that, and slight inputs were required. Having the counter-rotating props and left/right input from the engines made this a fairly simple affair.

I'm going to greatly enjoy this plane, I can tell. As I slowly learn and move on and up in difficulty levels, I bet this will be a plane I keep coming back to just like my Blade SR.
HooterBro is offline Find More Posts by HooterBro
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Welcome to the Thread/Forum, HooterBro!

It's a pretty good trainer, the Stratos... I for one am glad you're initial trysts were successful.

Look forward to seeing your video.

... Lennie
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Oct 2012
89 Posts
Hi Guys, new member, long lost flyer here.

I'm getting back into the hobby after the adult dictated layoff (wife, kids, kids and kids) and this little plane is a good bit of kit.

I'm running an 1800mah lipo, getting around 20 minutes in the air with batt to spare, it handles well for what it is, and so cheap!

The wife had a play with it last weekend, she's hooked so I'm off to buy a new radio and a nice 3 or 4 ch glider for her, and a full house one for me!
SmokeyRobinson is offline Find More Posts by SmokeyRobinson
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Cheers, Smokey!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Alright folks. Here's the first video. Just a quick shake down flight to ensure everything was working as it should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlVp-ynTuuU
HooterBro is offline Find More Posts by HooterBro
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:45 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,410 Posts
Glad to see the successful flights and new old pilots! My son and I went to the field last week and winds were very high, 20-25 on the ground according to the field gage. It was really too high for the plane, and we learned very quickly not to let her fly too far down range as it took a long time to get back to the field. I would not recommend flying in these conditions BTW! We are planning anouther flying trip tonight after work, wind is way down so should be much better for him!
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:28 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooterBro View Post
Alright folks. Here's the first video. Just a quick shake down flight to ensure everything was working as it should.

Very nice maiden flight
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Good flight, Hooter.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:30 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooterBro View Post

Good job!