HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
That's a really good price, but the shipping cost might negate the savings.
I ordered 2 of them and total with shipping was $15.87. I mainly ordered them because I've been in the rat race of trying to get stock batteries for a newly released model before & I usually get screwed. I especially think I'll have a hard time finding the stock battery since they're selling them for $9.99 with a new bird.

The other thing that will increase my cost is having to solder on new EC2 connectors to the batteries. So in all, it was probably a wash. I just KNOW I have extra batteries and won't be sulking this weekend because I can charge 3 at a time instead of one at a time
Amichai is offline Find More Posts by Amichai
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amichai View Post
I ordered 2 of them and total with shipping was $15.87. I mainly ordered them because I've been in the rat race of trying to get stock batteries for a newly released model before & I usually get screwed. I especially think I'll have a hard time finding the stock battery since they're selling them for $9.99 with a new bird.

The other thing that will increase my cost is having to solder on new EC2 connectors to the batteries. So in all, it was probably a wash. I just KNOW I have extra batteries and won't be sulking this weekend because I can charge 3 at a time instead of one at a time
Hmm, I had to pay $18.99 for one extra stock battery from HH! Where are you seeing the stock battery for $9.99? Oh well, at least my extra battery will have the right connector. I can solder ok, but I'd rather not have to.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
Hmm, I had to pay $18.99 for one extra stock battery from HH! Where are you seeing the stock battery for $9.99? Oh well, at least my extra battery will have the right connector. I can solder ok, but I'd rather not have to.
hobby zone, just got home and plane was delivered today but extra battery will ship later this week..and I am sure it would have the right connector
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
... will ship later this week..
See what I mean about the "new model rat race"!? Finding batteries is always hard for new models. When I got my Blade MCP X, you pretty much had to stab someone for an extra battery! At least this model has more of a standard battery than that brand new connector type on the MCP X.
Amichai is offline Find More Posts by Amichai
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amichai View Post
See what I mean about the "new model rat race"!? Finding batteries is always hard for new models. When I got my Blade MCP X, you pretty much had to stab someone for an extra battery! At least this model has more of a standard battery than that brand new connector type on the MCP X.
yeah but if it still gets here by early next week?..I still have one and don't have to worry about my soldering skils..besides weather gonna be crappy here for next few days...and I saved that link where you got your batteries from..I will prolly grab two more in the future just to have.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:38 PM
USA, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Sep 2000
135 Posts
Midsouth Hobbies N White Station Rd, Memphis TN 901-682-9402 has 3 or 4 in
stock as of 4/25/12. The foam box pulls out from the cardboard cover like the Radian and other designs. Quality of foam, and design is very high. I did not pull out the manual to read as I thought I could down load it. Tried to download but as others have found out download does not work. Thought I could use my DX8 to bind and use buddy box for my students but found out it does not do that. Still a nice beginner design with diff. thrust, trike gear, and wing design. Instructor will have to pull the transmitter away from student to save flying into some person/thing. Looking forward to flying the virtual instructor. I wonder what minimum control speed is and if it can be slowed down to fly indoors? I use a Nite Vapor for buddy box instruction inside gyms.
VicT is offline Find More Posts by VicT
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
So who has one in their hands and has flown it?
I want to know how fast, how slow?
I want to know how high?
I want to know how it does in wind?
And finally, how tight can it turn? I have some trees near me that I want to be able to quickly escape from if need be.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Firemouth View Post
So who has one in their hands and has flown it?
I want to know how fast, how slow?
I want to know how high?
I want to know how it does in wind?
And finally, how tight can it turn? I have some trees near me that I want to be able to quickly escape from if need be.
I just got mine today on the porch when I got home....no time to even start putting it together....maybe tommorow eve...all I know is look on youtube for flights.....turns seemto be pretty slick as the opposite prop kicks on and helps you with the turn..how high I guess out of site it's gone... I think it rated at 400 meters I think....Trees are bad very bad...avoid at all cost
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
da Perfesser
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Name: Stratos.jpg
Views: 237
Size: 211.4 KB
Description: The UPS truck just dropped off my new HobbyZone Firebird Stratos 42" Twin-Prop Trainer
YosefAugers is offline Find More Posts by YosefAugers
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:41 PM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Step 2:

Name: Stratos-Step02.jpg
Views: 137
Size: 195.0 KB
Description:

Remove Manual from underside of styrofoam.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:21 PM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Step 3:

Name: Stratos-Step03.jpg
Views: 163
Size: 210.7 KB
Description:

Charge battery.

As an aside, I have a Turnigy Accucel 6 and the shown power supply (quad, key on, hooked to 6a charger) powers it too. That's convenient when I'm out away from the house on my 10 acres bashing the planes into trees, rocks and bushes, but I'd sure like to find a 5-6A AC (US) power supply that's less than $25...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Step 4:

Name: Stratos-Step04.jpg
Views: 150
Size: 180.0 KB
Description:

Install the supplied AA batteries.

Note: cut the zip-tie behind where it feeds through and it's reusable
Last edited by YosefAugers; Apr 26, 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Step 5 - Installing The Tail - Part 01

Preparing for Step 5 - Installing the horizontal stabilizer:

Name: Stratos-Step05a.jpg
Views: 182
Size: 136.8 KB
Description:

The eight pieces of tape to be used attaching the horizontal stabilizer to the fuselage are shown laying on the front edge of the horizontal stabilizer.

The battery's label says "1.5C Maximum Charge Rate" -- since it's a 1300mAh battery, I think that means it could be charged at a rate of 1.95A (1.5 x 1.3). Since the included "cigarette lighter" charge adapter's label says it has a maximum charge rate of 1.5A, those with programmable chargers may be able to safely charge the battery more quickly than would be attained using the included charger. This may also explain why it's not getting warm while charging. It's an "E-flite" battery with part number EFLB13002S.

So far, this appears to be a quality product. Look at the stickers, especially the center of the rudder - that's really nice. Also, the control horns, I think you can see in this pic that they're attached with two metal screws through the foam to a plastic backer on the other side.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Step 5 - Installing The Tail - Part 02

Continuing Step 5 - Positioning the horizontal stabilizer:

The instructions say "Insert the tail into the slot of the fuselage.
Center it by using the centering guides (A)
located on the top side of the tail."

Name: Stratos-Step05b.jpg
Views: 169
Size: 141.1 KB
Description:

As (I hope) you can see in the above picture, the decals provide an excellent reference for centering. The picture above shows the best I can do to center the horizontal stabilizer when installing it in the fuselage.

Note: it is handy to have a spare pair of hands to spread the plastic piece that's in the tail of the fuselage into which the horizontal stabilizer is slid.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Step 5 - Installing the Tail - Part 03

Completing Step 5 - Taping the horizontal stabilizer in place.

I'm a firm believer that it's more important NOT to goo up the tape with skin oils than perfectly position it:

Name: Stratos-Step05c.jpg
Views: 158
Size: 194.6 KB
Description:

It's tempting to think you can use your fingernail to get between the tape and the backing. After failing on two corners, get out the exacto-knife to use on the remaining two corners so you don't end up with all four corners with the backing split but still attached to the tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
.. on my last piece of tape on the wing fins I found if you just take your fingertips and slowly brush the edge of tape away from the corner it comes right off..

The battery is now charged, using the provided 12V DC adapter, the total voltage is 8.265V (my multimeter is alternating between 8.26V and 8.27V) and each cell measures 4.13V. Seems balanced to me, but what do I know, all I've dealt with so far are 1s LiPo's.
Last edited by YosefAugers; Apr 28, 2012 at 02:01 PM.