SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:44 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatrisotto View Post
Has anyone put brushless motors in this puppy yet? Upgraded the servos, and installed a real radio?
Your money would be better spent on buying a whole new airplane...

Why fool with a good thing???
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:48 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatrisotto View Post
Has anyone put brushless motors in this puppy yet? Upgraded the servos, and installed a real radio?
Pointless.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:20 AM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Hi all...

was out today but not in best weather conditons- it was too windy.

I flow with lowest throws but find this was not enough, the plane was not really under my control ---suddenly teh plane was in 40 angle to the ground with full power, nothing happend while I gave elevator and so it bumped into our fluffy meadows.
No damage--only the front gear was out of the foam.

I found this here in this board:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1707418

Seems to be the same as me- the virtual instructor mixes negative elevator at full power stick position and the elevator way is not enought to get in horizontal flight

However...first two flights without happy landings- I increased the throws mechanical and changed to XT60 connector to use my more powerfull turnigy 1000mAh packs.
Next I will shut off the virtual instructor and want to fly without it for testing.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
If your trims and controls are set properly, VI will not force any down elevator at full throttle: What it should do, if set up properly, is set the elevator to LEVEL at full power/throttle.

At zero throttle your elevator should be in a slightly UP attitude.

[Check your manual on how to set elevator trim]

... Lennie
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:14 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Lennie, thanks, I have to check the manual concerning elevator level.

But I think the wind was too much for this plane...will start on calmer days again
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Lennie, thanks, I have to check the manual concerning elevator level.

But I think the wind was too much for this plane...will start on calmer days again
In the English manual on page 10 at the bottom is a section called Control Surface Centering. The key take away is to trim the elevator for center with the throttle set to full on (disconnect the motors of course). This should fix the control throws problems.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
In the English manual on page 10 at the bottom is a section called Control Surface Centering. The key take away is to trim the elevator for center with the throttle set to full on (disconnect the motors of course). This should fix the control throws problems.
yes, JRtubb is right SLK Count, take your time getting it right.

you need to have the motors / wing disconnected (unplug the cables) from the plane. then switch on your TX and connect the battery. once its initialised add 50% throttle. now adjust the pushrod etc so the elevator is perflectly flush with the rest of the horizontal stabiliser.

As you reduce power to below 50% you should find the elevator raises very slightly. once at zero throttle the elevator should remain raised.

so basically, when you put the wings back on and everything is switched off, the elevator should still be slightly raised. when you increase throttle the past to 50% and over, the elevator should be perfectly flush.

if you are getting ANY down (negative below the flush point) elevator at all, from throttle input only, you have done it wrong.

Since i got this setup correctly, my stratos has flown perfectly.

I added 5 flights over the weekend, such an enjoyable plane to fly, i now have no nerves throwing it out of my hand and have gotten enough confidence now to switch it over to high rates and try some loops and wing overs.
jack3auer is offline Find More Posts by jack3auer
Last edited by jack3auer; Oct 08, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:36 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,313 Posts
That section is very easy to miss, Hobbyzone should have made it bold to call extra attention to it. I think some early pilots thought the down elevator at full trottle was on purpose to keep the plane level in fast flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,961 Posts
At full throttle, the FB Stratos was designed to climb, this is stated expressly in the manual. For level flight, the throttle should be at 50% or slightly less.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:25 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Hi all..

many thanks for your advices...YES- that's it and now it's really clear
That point is very important in the manual....I remember to my adjustments in the past....throttle low stick and the elevator was little bit up and so my opinion was: turn the clevis out of the rod.

BUT- I had lot of negative elevator at full throttle -that was the reason why I had big trouble in controlling the plane in the air.

Shame.......but it's really tricky

I adjusted the elevator new in right position without wings- hope the plane goes better next flight
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:40 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
That section is very easy to miss, Hobbyzone should have made it bold to call extra attention to it. I think some early pilots thought the down elevator at full trottle was on purpose to keep the plane level in fast flight.
..not only early pilots thought that-- also the experts did
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Glad you did the readjust, Count...

Let us know how your next flight goes, and good luck with it.

It's been two weeks now since my first two flights - just been too windy and rainy here - maybe this coming weekend (I hope).

... Lennie
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
My "flying field"...

For those who may be interested in seeing the place I flew at two weeks ago, here's a brief video:

Flying field (1 min 53 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:43 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
..not only early pilots thought that-- also the experts did
Honestly I might have missed it but I read about the elevator trim setting early on in this thread. I didn't really follow it at the time and as I was assembling the plane I noticed the that section.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:09 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
For those who may be interested in seeing the place I flew at two weeks ago, here's a brief video:
Very nice place, Quietguy

I got my Strat today. All good to go, but man is it windy outside
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness