HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Hi all...

hard to decide what to buy...and very funny to see this by my own.
I have over 33years experience in model flying- all typs, all kinds and also helicopter and quadcopter and have to figure out the best beginner plane with spending many time.
You see...the experts come back to the beginners threads
Lots of good trainers/beginner craft -

Hobbyzone Super Cub
Firebird Stratos...

Flyzone Sensei

eFlite Apprentice

With your background, pick one; they're all good.

Luck with your quest.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
My first two flights were a week ago... really wanted to try it again but the Texas weather is NOT cooperating. Been rainy and breezy all weekend now, Ugh!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
I ordered my Stratos last hour
Think it will deliver quickly and next weekend I can go out.

I want to use my Turnigy 2S/1000mAh packs (same dimension and weight like the stock one) - how long is approx the motor runtime with the 1300er pack ?
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
I get about 10-12 minutes of flying on my stock FB Stratos 1300 mah packs. 1000 mah packs will probably get you around 7 minutes.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,312 Posts
Well this plane does live up to reputation! Since our club field has a paved runway we started with the wheels on and a rolling takeoff. It was very easy smooth takeoff and gentle climb out. Only needed a bit of up trim and a couple of clicks of right trim. After one circle of the field I handed the plane to my son. He took to it very well and ended up making the first landing on the runway. Looking at its behavior with self correcting rudder and elevator on the ground as I moved it around is pretty neat.

One thing I don't like Is how the motors will turn on and off if you rock it side to side pointing straight up. This could be a safety issue if you are holding it some how in front of the wing. I doubt there is enough power to hurt someone, but you could burn up the motor.

The most important thing is my son had a blast with 3 flights , including take offs and landings on the runway. The stock battery seemed to last good at 10+ min with easy middle throttle. I had 2 1350 packs that were a bit heavier but seemed to have little change in flight behaviors, run time was a bit longer at 12+ min. Never hit the LVC so I guess they could last longer.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:49 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
One never wants to get a prop near them, regardless of plane or cause of motor activation.

[ toy plane or full size ]
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
bored waiting for the weather in north west england to improve so that i can fly again, browsing some youtube vids and found this one:-

Horizon Hobby Firebird Stratos Control Problem! (2 min 8 sec)

the guys elevator control has reversed for some reason, he reckons he has spoke with horizon who have sent him something but it wont work.

nobody has commented on his video yet, i feel sorry for him, can anyone from here help ?

EDIT:-
also someone could do with dropping this guy a line or two:
HobbyZone Firebird Stratos crash 2 (0 min 12 sec)

HobbyZone Firebird Stratos crash 1 (0 min 11 sec)

turns out they run a model shop and fly in the car park, pretty stupid if you ask me, they could cause a road traffic accident with stunts like flying into wires over the road.
jack3auer is offline Find More Posts by jack3auer
Last edited by jack3auer; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:18 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,312 Posts
I agree that staying away from props on electric planes is a very important safety lesson.

That reversed elevator is weird, looks like he needs a new board or could try rerouting the push rod under the horizontal stab and flip the control horn to the bottom.

Those guys flying in that parking lot are very dumb, this bird is too big for that tight of a space.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Oct 01, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:28 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,312 Posts
Some thoughts on "You don't need an instructor to fly this plane". While I think that can be true if you have some significant simulator time and micro plane flying experience, I don't think you will be successful without some serious crashing if you are completely new and have zero stick time. The plane does have some help with the rudder / elevator mix, however my son still needed to fly the plane with elevator in his turns. Mostly I think it is because he was banking a bit harder and it was a windy day at the field.

I did have a friend who has practically zero stick time try the plane out with me next to him and he did fine, other then getting his controls backwards. In those cases he froze up and I had to take the plane back to pull it out of a dive.

If you keep your turns big and smooth it does track very well, but wind will bounce it around. requiring elevator and rudder corrections. As I tell my son, he is the pilot not the wind, he must fly the plane.

It is an amazing training plane, and it did get a lot more attention at the field. I had 2 new people wanting to learn to fly show up and I told them I thought this was an excellent first plane. They both had simulators are were practicing so I said they should keep it up until their control inputs were automatic and then get the plane and bring it out to learn with an instructor. I feel that if you have a good amount of sim time you should be able to solo this plane within 3-4 flights at our field, which means being able to take-off, fly the plane in the pattern, and land on the runway.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Oct 01, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:43 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
jrtubb,

I agree that sim time would be advantageous to anyone wishing to learn to fly RC.

One suggestion the designer offers and I'll echo it here is, if a person finds themselves in trouble, let go the right stick and the plane should right itself. I think the one time this would not be helpful is if you're just a few feet above the ground... (voice of 'experience' on that one).

But the Stratos has the built-in features to stabilize the craft without pilot assistance.

Again: Let go the right stick and let the airplane do it's thing ;-)

Good post, sir.

... Lennie
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
I'm certainly not expert on the electronics side of this, jack3auer, but I wonder if the gent with the elevator reversed problem has tried rebinding his TX to the Stratos? I do not know if that would "fix" his issue but I think it is worth trying.

As for the reversing cable HH sent him, I'm lost on that one.

... Lennie

PS - You are 200% correct on the numb-dude flying in that small parking area. Not safe and most certainly not prudent. He already dinged that one vehicle, then clipped the power line.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:54 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
I'm certainly not expert on the electronics side of this, jack3auer, but I wonder if the gent with the elevator reversed problem has tried rebinding his TX to the Stratos? I do not know if that would "fix" his issue but I think it is worth trying.

As for the reversing cable HH sent him, I'm lost on that one.

... Lennie

PS - You are 200% correct on the numb-dude flying in that small parking area. Not safe and most certainly not prudent. He already dinged that one vehicle, then clipped the power line.
I've heard of these reversing problems happening when the battery has been run down below LVC and beyond.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Ahhhhh... then, perhaps trying a different battery may 'fix' his issue.

Great input, Gerry!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:14 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Ahhhhh... then, perhaps trying a different battery may 'fix' his issue.

Great input, Gerry!

I don't know. On a board like that, where he can't use the cable they sent him, it might be irreversible.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
I had to use the reversing cable from HH when the ailerons on my PZ UM Corsair were both stuck in the down position. It worked flawlessly.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69