Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
866 Posts
hi all,
thanks for your feedback
The Champ looks fine but costs the same.
I think it's important to have the own TX for this plane to avoid "hard handling" with Daddys TX in case of binding son's plane

Unfortunatelly, the German board says nothing about the Stratos up to now but I think QQ created not "Nonsense". his models in the past were all perfect and make fun- and my favorite brand is still (and forever) Horizon Hobby
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:23 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
I really need to do that. Max out the throws, turn the VI off and see if I can force some inverted flight.

But it's archery season here now and I haven't been flying for several weeks. Might be able to get to it in 2 weeks at the end of the season. That is if I can finish the honey-do list quickly.
Ah yes... the infamous "honeydo" lists. Exactly the reason I unplugged the Lipo on my ex

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:26 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post

Unfortunatelly, the German board says nothing about the Stratos up to now but I think QQ created not "Nonsense". his models in the past were all perfect and make fun- and my favorite brand is still (and forever) Horizon Hobby
Germany has a 'board' that governs the types of RC aircraft you can own/operate??
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:01 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Germany has a 'board' that governs the types of RC aircraft you can own/operate??
He means German forum or bulletin board.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:04 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
hi all,
thanks for your feedback
The Champ looks fine but costs the same.
I think it's important to have the own TX for this plane to avoid "hard handling" with Daddys TX in case of binding son's plane

I agree that Quique is one of the best. Horizon is also one of the best brands. In the 80s i thought Tamiya were the best

Germany has Multiplex. Which certainly must be considered a contender. Maybe not on their entry level stuff, but they live up to the "made in Germany" quality.
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dualsky Hornet 460
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:39 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
He means German forum or bulletin board.
Ah, okay... I'm up to speed now, thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:19 PM
United Kingdom, Middlesbrough
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Quote:

Curious - has anyone yet 'turned off' VI and flown their Stratos "naked"?

If so - tell us about your experiences with the plane; how she flew, handled, etc.

... Lennie
I turned mine off and in my very humble opinion it flies better. Leaving the control horn on the outermost hole but selecting max throw on the transmitter will allow me to do very slow, ugly rolls with a lot of down elevator. I cannot get it to stay inverted. Tried a couple of times but nearly crashed so not keen to have another go
Wregie is offline Find More Posts by Wregie
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:55 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wregie View Post
I turned mine off and in my very humble opinion it flies better. Leaving the control horn on the outermost hole but selecting max throw on the transmitter will allow me to do very slow, ugly rolls with a lot of down elevator. I cannot get it to stay inverted. Tried a couple of times but nearly crashed so not keen to have another go
Have you increased the elevator size per the instruction manual yet?
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Have you increased the elevator size per the instruction manual yet?
No I really don't think you would need to. If you moved the clevis in I think you would have more than enough elevator authority.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the sharing, Wregie!

My guess is, the wing shape, design does not lend itself to any kind of extreme aerobatics, but does work very well for providing a stable flight experience.

Thanks again... I have been curious about the bird's behavior unassisted.

... Lennie
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
Quote:

Thanks again... I have been curious about the bird's behavior unassisted.

... Lennie
It is what it is. It has done wonders for my confidence. Great model but if I want to do more I fancy a Parkzone T-28.

I would recommend switching the assistance off. It doesn't fly that much differently but you know it is down to you, which is great for confidence.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,195 Posts
Got an email from my flying buddy today telling me that he bought a Stratos. He's been flying for 5 years but he's seen how fun and stable my Stratos flies and just couldn't help getting one himself.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Got an email from my flying buddy today telling me that he bought a Stratos. He's been flying for 5 years but he's seen how fun and stable my Stratos flies and just couldn't help getting one himself.
That's interesting... an expert, experienced flier "down-flying" (down-sizing)... But it certainly speaks well of this HZ/HH product doesn't it?

... Lennie
Last edited by .quietguy; Sep 30, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined May 2012
256 Posts
Quote:
I've been flying at high-rate for awhile, but haven't felt confident enough yet to turn off the VI completely. I have been able to fly inverted for awhile after applying down elevator at the high point of an inside loop--- left or right rudder at that point will bring it upright. It also works at the low point of an outside loop, but not as well. I haven't been able to do anything that resembles a roll, however. I doubt that the wing shape is meant to be inverted for very long, but I don't really know if turning the VI off helps or hurts with that ability. Guess I'll just have to give it a try.........

Tom
black6088 is offline Find More Posts by black6088
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:08 AM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
866 Posts
Hi all...

hard to decide what to buy...and very funny to see this by my own.
I have over 33years experience in model flying- all typs, all kinds and also helicopter and quadcopter and have to figure out the best beginner plane with spending many time.
You see...the experts come back to the beginners threads
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count