SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:11 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,386 Posts
Pranged my Stratos today! I was "shooting the slot" between the grass on the north and the soccer goal 10' away on the south and doing touch and goes and slow flybys on the parking lot where we fly.

It was very bumpy out there this evening. The wind would drop to zero, jump up to 6 or 7mph, then gust to 12-15 and drop back to 8 or 10mph. Then it would drop to zero again for a couple minutes. Fun stuff!

On one pass, I was bringing it down for a flyby and a gust of wind puffed the plane into the soccer goal post.

NO DAMAGE other than the spinners being bent out of shape a little. The wing popped off, the landing gear popped out and everything functioned as designed.

I put it back together and flew it 4 more times afterwards.

On the last flight of the evening, I brought it down for a perfect landing with a long rollout. My flying buddy was about 30 feet closer to the plane, so started walking that way. I started walking after him. I'm an old guy and he's an older guy. I was gaining on him and as he got about 10 feet from the plane he remarked "You're not going to get it before I do!" and I replied "No worries, I'm not even trying." as we both hobbled along. I was about 4 feet behind him as he reached down to pick up the plane from behind... and I bumped the throttle, moving it 4 feet out of reach! Bwaahahaha!! He said "You're no good!" We both laughed at that one as I picked up the plane and we headed back to our trucks.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined May 2012
286 Posts
Rolling a Stratos

I can do loops, but is it possible to roll a Stratos? If so, how--- I assume the VI would have to be turned off? Thanks for any advice,

Tom
black6088 is offline Find More Posts by black6088
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:04 AM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
well i am six successfull flights with my stratos now and i love it.

but last night while flying i found it be a little slow to respond to up elevator at times and a couple of moments it seemed that i was on the brink of a stall where i wouldn't have expected to be. once or twice i pulled up whilst going slowly and it went into an impromtu loop, however when flying circuits the vast majority of the time it was going exactly where i wanted it too. i landed safely anyway.

When i got it home i was looking at the trims and noticed that i must be way out of trim because i am getting ZERO up elevator upon reducing throttle, but there is a a bit of down elevator when at max, which according to the manual is correct. i will need to have a better look at it tonight.

the manual seems to be a bit all over the place, would you recommend
disconnecting the motors and re-setting the elevator clevis etc from scratch?

the upward elevator trim on the radio will not give me any upward trim past the straight and level point where it is flush with the tailplane.
jack3auer is offline Find More Posts by jack3auer
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
This might be dumb noob question, but is there a bnf version of this thing and, if so, will it work with a dx6i?
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:18 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,892 Posts
No BNF version and it will not work with a DX6I.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
Thanks. That sucks, guess I have to shell out for everything.

This looks like a great beginner plane though. Is there any online retailer that sells it cheapest?
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:30 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
Is there any online retailer that sells it cheapest?
Search the net, why don't you!
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:42 PM
Dundee Scotland
Joined Jul 2012
12 Posts
Got my replacement fuselage today with set of control rods. Was quite easy to put together although Had to shield the foam while applying heat to control rods.

Will set it up tomorrow and get it all trimmed. No more crazy lows and fasts for me.
Happydundee is offline Find More Posts by Happydundee
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,886 Posts
AmpDraw Hobbies in Encinitas, CA has the Fiebird Stratos for just under $113.00. That's about 16.00 less than retail. I bet with shipping it is probably around the retail price. $130.00 for an RTF plane of this caliber though is pretty phenomenal. I literally took mine from the box to the air in about half an hour. Flew her successfully the first time too; I had no previous RC plane experience either, that was about 7 months ago. The FB Stratos made it easy to learn to fly RC. I can now fly and land 4-6 channel warbirds with no problems thanks to this great plane.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined May 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
The FB Stratos made it easy to learn to fly RC. I can now fly and land 4-6 channel warbirds with no problems thanks to this great plane.
I too felt that the Stratos should help me bridge the gap between never having flown RC and getting to the point where I could move to a 4-channel airplane if I really liked the hobby (without spending a fortune to do it). That is, until an RC "instructor" from the local RC club that I met while flying dashed my hopes by declaring that flying the Stratos was a waste of time and I would learn nothing from the experience. Glad to hear that someone out there was successful in making the transition--- at least I know it's possible. As a noob, I haven't had a lot of experience with RC clubs, but my contacts so far have been less than inspiring.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:46 PM
Canada, ON, Cochrane District
Joined Oct 2011
742 Posts
If a Club told you that, don't bther with them.

The Stratos is an excellent starting bird. It is very forgiving., it has umph. It looks good, nice flight times, and if yo really wanted to, you can upgrade it with your own electronics and take it to the next level when you are ready to go beyond the VI and non Vi modes of teh Stratos.

It's fun! My Little Brother and Nephew both now have one, and we fly all the time. I let them try my other birds and they have no real problems. (just remembering to do some up elevator) but that's what a buddy box system is for.

You'll love the Stratos! They're just Jelly you hav eone, and they don't.
cr8tive_leo is offline Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,886 Posts
While I do encourage joining a club for those that are inclined to do so, I have also found that type of attitude from some members of clubs I have visited. My last visit to a club was excellent though, with members there flying "beginner" planes as well as sophisticated aerobatic models. It helps that they are an all "electric" club. I assure you, you will not be wasting your time. The FB Stratos is a great way to get introduced to the hobby. After all, it was designed by World Aerobatic Champion Quique Somenzini. Stay away from that club and find a more friendly one.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I assure you, you will not be wasting your time. The FB Stratos is a great way to get introduced to the hobby.
I agree. Despite the advice I got, I feel that I've learned a lot in the short time I've been flying the Stratos, and I have to think it would help to some degree if I decided to try a 4-channel plane. I have maybe 7-8 total hours of flying time in on the Stratos and I just started using the High Rate feature, so I have a ways to go. In retrospect, I think the best "feature" of this airplane is it's ability to take brutal crashes and catastrophic damage and keep on flying--- I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have stuck with it this long (where I'm finally having fun!) if I had to replace 2 or 3 airplanes to get to this point.

Tom
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:25 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
WARNING: do not put your hands in boiling, or even very hot, water.

Just submerge the affect parts in boiling water for a few seconds, the beads will begin to expand and you can repeat the proceed as necessary. While the foam is out of the water and still malleable, you can use your hands to shape it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhasRTul-Wc

You can flatten the alligator look by pressing them down with the back of a spoon.
Very nifty trick there, Gerry... Thanks.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
I can do loops, but is it possible to roll a Stratos? If so, how--- I assume the VI would have to be turned off? Thanks for any advice,

Tom
hi Tom.

I've started rolling mine after some tips for one of the club guys and some practice on a sim

I turn off the VI

rudder control is set to the closest hole to the rudder surface to maximise deflection

hIgh rate

lots of height ;-)

full throttle in level flight

role.... as you invert a little DOWN elevator to push the nose UP

as she comes upright back to neutral elevator

doesn't come off every time. but with practice they look pretty...

remember height is your best friend....

good luck
jaitt is offline Find More Posts by jaitt