HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:54 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I'm just an old-school type I guess- when you learn, it's on something as simple as possible with all effects as transparent as possible, and each control does one thing.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:24 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Old school guys need to change. The world around you is changing.

Meh. You guys are just disappointed with the specs and now you don't have a reason to justify buying another airplane. LOL.

I say, if you want it, buy it and fly it with the red TX. Looks like a hoot to me.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:46 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
One could argue-
The world may be changing, but what makes a pilot a good pilot does not.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
So, where is the mixing? Is it in the red transmitter, is that where the switch is to switch off the virtual instructor? When the kids total the red tx on the concrete car park, can they use the regular black playstation lookalike tx instead? and still have virtual instructor? Or is the mixing on the aircraft, in the rx?, or in a seperate magic box?. I seem to remember there was a switch on the tx included with the Firebird Commander, that gave gave different rates when you felt more confident. I liked the Flite Test video, Josh flew very smoothly (or the virtual instructor did) twin engines, tricycle landing gear, inexpensive brushed motors, UK advance prices for parts in general seem reasonable. I imagine this will sell in Radian quantities, and will tempt Hobby Zone to add an aileron version , as has been done with the Radian Pro.........and xport, even the Firebird Commander had a sort of x port didn't it ?. Kids could get bored with easy big brother circles, touch and go should be fun with the Stratos but shoot 'em up has to be a huge draw for the kids, perhaps the John Cunningham add on, ezport, will work, or does that need an extra rx channel ? I have to admit to being sold on the Stratos, for what it is and the price it is, maybe just buy some bigger wheels
VARSITY is offline Find More Posts by VARSITY
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:52 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
One could argue-
The world may be changing, but what makes a pilot a good pilot does not.
Yeah, and one could argue there is more than one way to skin a cat.

What I do know is life is too short to argue about it here. Let's just go fly and let the young'ns figure it all out. LOL

I'm with larger wheels. I can see one of these in the hanger. I mean, why not?
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:44 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,429 Posts
I am getting one of these sent to me next week from Mike our Australian importer OMP to do an un-boxing /maiden video

Now i must say, i have never played video games and used controllers like that, when i bought my RTF MSR heli, i bound it to my DXi 6 and flew it a lot easier than with the control that came with it so in saying this i think i am going to be a real novice learner on this plane and it will be interesting to see just how i handle it? i reckon with this new technology i'll be fine

The thing is, the market i see this aimed at, HAVE used controllers like this red one so "Most" people will find it easy to use. I too would have liked to see it able to bind to my good Tx, but it doesn't not to worry i just love this hobby and i am really looking forward to having a go with this new beginners plane bet my son is too

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Now i must say, i have never played video games and used controllers like that, when i bought my RTF MSR heli, i bound it to my DXi 6 and flew it a lot easier than with the control that came with it so in saying this i think i am going to be a real novice learner on this plane and it will be interesting to see just how i handle it?
Compared to many of the models you have flown you should be able to fly this beginner plane with one eye closed and one arm tied behind your back
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:10 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
827 Posts
I'm on Hobbyzone's mailing list and when I first saw this, I thought I might want one. But hmm, is it just me or is the price a little on the high side. My third plane was the Hobbyzone Super Cub BNF version and after building GWS kits, I thought I paid too much for it. Is it the same case with this Firebird Stratos? I've also had the Mini Cub that I flew about 300 times before selling but I was never satisfies with it, seemed underpowered. Will the Stratos be on the underpowered side or will it feel like you can get brief verticals and quick acceleration?
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Great to see ChuckTseeker on board with the Stratos, I had hoped he would be, looking forward to the review. I fly my champ with the playstation lookalke controller, love it so much I haven't even checked to see if it will bind with our Spektrum transmitters. Champ lives in the back of the car, ready to fly at any moment for relaxation..A great feature, this ready to go from the box. I plan a life in the car for the Stratos also, to be ready for me at the drop of a hat, hope the boys won't mind too much
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:00 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARSITY View Post
......Champ lives in the back of the car, ready to fly at any moment for relaxation..A great feature, this ready to go from the box.....
Same here!

I have two battered Champs. One camps in the back of the SUV, with an old DX5i.

The greatest thing: while wifey shops, I can fly in the parking lot.

Dave
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Mar 30, 2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: concision
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Dave, yes agree, I was going to add in the above post, if the kids miss the school bus, I used to tear my hair out, now I just think about the early morning still air, perfect for flying, and the open school fields .April, day after tomorrow, delivery month
Last edited by VARSITY; Mar 30, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,042 Posts
This ships out this week!! Can't wait.....Newbie here as you can probably tell..
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:56 PM
NAR High Power Level 2
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Mar 2012
8 Posts
Are you sure about that? HobbyZone shows 4/19.
tycogti is offline Find More Posts by tycogti
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycogti View Post
Are you sure about that? HobbyZone shows 4/19.
they sent me an email couple weeks ago because I wanted to know when it would ship and they said 4/12 maybe it got pushed back again. I have waited this long I can wait another week if need be..
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
Anyone know the dimensions of the battery? Looking to buy an aftermarket one.
Amichai is offline Find More Posts by Amichai