4,278 Posts
I noticed hobbyzone moved the eta back to 4/12
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,020 Posts
The only bummer is your paying for a transmitter and a receiver that you don,t need.
flydown is online now Find More Posts by flydown
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
That would most likely get rid of all mixes that make up the ''electronic instructor". But i don't see why not.
Being a noob, the only mixes I have come across have been in the transmitter. Perhaps that's why it's red as a warning. Hopefully the mixes will not be in the reciever, but in a seperate unit, then as has been suggested, a proper reciever can be installed, and still use electronic pilot, and using a proper Spectrum TX, and we have plans for an extra channel too, but non the less, we still fancy this plane as it is, but I can see some mods by us quite soon, and hey!, who knows, perhaps PZ will add a pro version, like the Radian, with ailerons
VARSITY is offline Find More Posts by VARSITY
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:42 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,508 Posts
Here is a video review from Flite Test. http://flitetest.com/articles/hobbyzone-stratos/
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:14 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,283 Posts
Just a few comments here on the Firebird Stratos.

First, it's a HobbyZone airplane, which means it's focused on the first-time pilot who isn't seeking help from an experienced modeler. This is the reason for technology such as Virtual Instructor, to enable people to successfully teach themselves to fly.

Second, because it's focused on this customer, it also needs to be affordable. Brushless motors and DSMX would have driven the price point significantly higher and reduced the potential number of customers.

Third, the twin configuration was to reduce the potential for motor damage in a crash or a hard landing, to eliminate torque effects, and to enable rudder-to-throttle mixing to aid controllability.

Because it's not DSM2/DSMX then by definition there will not be a BNF version. If you want to fly on DSM2/DSMX of course you can gut the electronics and install your own equipment, but you'll lose all the cool mixing features that contribute quite a lot to the nice flying experience.

My hope is not that you guys will enjoy it, but that your sons & daughters, grandsons and granddaughters, neices, nephews and neighbors will enjoy it, that they will be inspired to give the hobby a try as a result of this neat new design.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:54 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
BNF and transmitter compatibility formed a large part of my UM champ/UM T28 gonna-teach-myself buying decision.

Was there a compelling reason for the TX/RX choice?
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:55 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,278 Posts
price
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
BNF and transmitter compatibility formed a large part of my UM champ/UM T28 gonna-teach-myself buying decision.

Was there a compelling reason for the TX/RX choice?

Yes, As Dave from Horizon said "you'll lose all the cool mixing features that contribute quite a lot to the nice flying experience." (by using your own TX/RX you are not set up with that mixing) Remember they had the absolute beginner in mind when they designed this plane.
With that said I suppose you could use your own TX/RX and set up your own mixing (if you have it and know how) to have it fly like the virtual trainer version if you know what your doing in the mix and how to set up that way. My assumption is that most beginners that buy this plane would not know how to do that so they take all the guess work out of it for the beginner.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
.....Brushless motors and DSMX would have driven the price point significantly higher and reduced the potential number of customers.....
Dave,

I understand that having brushless motors on the Stratos would increase its cost.

But is it really true that building-in Spektrum compatibility (DSM2 or DSMX) would require a subtantially higher price?

Why?

The Champ, Vapor, Ember.....all are Spektrum-compatible, but very reasonably priced. (The Champ RTF lists for $89.99.)

If that could be included in their bricks without inflating costs, why couldn't it be done with the Stratos?

Rather than reducing the potential number of customers, the option of being able to use our superior Spektrum transmitters would increase the potential customer base.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
126 Posts
What a bummer. I was going to be the first one to step in line to buy one and bind it with my dx6i. I can't go back to the cheesy n64 controller again. I wanted the mixes for FPV as I figured it would really help stabilize it.
qwerty11 is offline Find More Posts by qwerty11
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty11 View Post
What a bummer. I was going to be the first one to step in line to buy one and bind it with my dx6i. I can't go back to the cheesy n64 controller again. I wanted the mixes for FPV as I figured it would really help stabilize it.
You can use your own receiver to bind and program elevator to throttle mix and rudder to elevator mix in your Dx6i if you want it to act like the trainer mode. You will need to program in progressive up elevator as you reduce your throttle and some up elevator with rudder in order to keep the plane level in turns so you do not have to mess with the elevator much when turning at various speeds and slowing down to land. As far as the percentages of mix go, you will have to figure it out with a little experimentation until you get it right!
Essentially in flight instructor is mixing that has already figured out for us with this beginner model and included receiver and transmitter.
Last edited by flydown; Mar 29, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:47 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,614 Posts
I don't think that anyone's yet figured out how to program a throttle differential mix for the twin motors.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=520

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
Denham Springs, Louisiana
Joined Aug 2009
157 Posts
Nice!

Nice bird. Glad to see them finally getting away from the Pod & Boom types. My first was a Firebird Phantom.
Might be a good choice for my 12 yr old.
Flying Chicken is offline Find More Posts by Flying Chicken
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:14 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
IDK, all this mix stuff sounds like it's a plane for people who want throw something up in the air and not learn basic skills and basic aeronautics- which is fine, if they are flying and happy that's a net gain for all, as far as I'm concerned.

The hazard of that:
Someone might attempt to graduate from this as a starter plane to something else and find out the hard way their grasp of piloting and aeronautics is not as good as they supposed.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
IDK, all this mix stuff sounds like it's a plane for people who want throw something up in the air and not learn basic skills and basic aeronautics- which is fine, if they are flying and happy that's a net gain for all, as far as I'm concerned.

The hazard of that:
Someone might attempt to graduate from this as a starter plane to something else and find out the hard way their grasp of piloting and aeronautics is not as good as they supposed.

Dave
I thought the mixes (in flight instructor) can be turned off when your ready to progress.