HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2012, 01:42 AM
da Perfesser
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Just read YosefAugers's blog. Thanks for the tip. Found the CG under Specs from Horizon's website.

YosefAugers if you still have the nose weight could you weigh it for me?
You're welcome.

Yep, I have it. What I don't have yet is a sensitive enough scale to answer your question.

I have a scale on order...
YosefAugers is offline Find More Posts by YosefAugers
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 01:52 AM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD1961 View Post
On another note: I am wondering how much the difference in flying there will be, if I turn off the training program? It seems I stall it too often now and I am wondering if the training technology is over compensating too much for my flying (in) ability?
If you're stalling when turning you may be raising an interesting issue. Flying sims and planes other than the Stratos I'm slowly, painfully, learning to add up elevator when banking the plane.

Unfortunately, this is a skill that can lead to stalls in the Stratos, i.e., when flying the Stratos and adding elevator when banking, since the Stratos is already automatically adding elevator when using the rudder, it ends up in an unintended climb.

I wonder if this may mean it's time to turn off the Virtual Instructor.
Old May 30, 2012, 01:59 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YosefAugers View Post
If you're stalling when turning you may be raising an interesting issue. Flying sims and planes other than the Stratos I'm slowly, painfully, learning to add up elevator when banking the plane. Unfortunately, this is a skill that can lead to stalls in the Stratos, i.e., when flying the Stratos and adding elevator when banking, since the Stratos is already automatically adding elevator when using the rudder, it ends up in an unintended climb. I wonder if this may mean it's time to turn off the Virtual Instructor.
Good point, well presented Yosef!!!

The other thing to be aware of is that when you are flying downwind, the ground speed is high but the airspeed is low - possibly lower than you think. As an aircraft banks, its stall speed goes up. This is due to the lift force acting at an angle, so needing to be larger to counteract gravity which still works vertically. So you are cantering downwind, model disappearing quickly, but its airspeed is low. You haul it around, the stall speed goes up to meet the deceptively low airspeed, and the thing just seems to drop out of the sky. Happened to me several times when I began flying in stronger winds!!

This may be irrelevant to this discussion, but always a good point to make!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old May 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,687 Posts
My second flight was in about 10mph winds and it did indeed need full throttle on the downwind leg to maintain positive control. Once turned into the wind, throttle back down again and enjoy some floaty cruising upwind. That's why very light winds or no wind are recommended for first flights. -- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 01:33 PM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Testing the "Stabilization Sensor"

I called HH and asked about the "Stabilization Sensor" (henceforth "SS") described on page 6 of the manual. I learned two things:

1. "It's not a gyro. It's not a mercury switch. It's multiple lasers that act like a gyro and/or mercury switch." Please, don't ask me what that means as I haven't a clue.

2. The way it's supposed to work is when at greater than 50% throttle and the plane is in a bank (one wing down) the Virtual Instructor's "Differential Thrust" feature is activated to level the plane.

I've been testing my Stratos to see if the SS is working but all tests thus far have indicated the SS is not working. To test to see whether the SS is working:

A. Make sure you know what "differential thrust" sounds like and the throttle level needed. I made this video illustrating what this means:

Diff_Thrust_Pass03.mp4 (1 min 6 sec)

In the above video there are two items of note: (i.) there's a throttle level above which the differential thrust occurs & below which it doesn't, and (ii.) you can hear when differential thrust occurs in that the sound of the motors change as one slows down.

B. It's easy to hear the motors changing pitch when they're not. In the video below I try to illustrate (i.) rolling the plane makes the motors sound as if they're changing pitch when they're not, and (ii.) keeping my "Point of View" on the plane constant avoids this effect allowing me to detect changes in the motors' speeds as I roll the plane.

SS_Test_Pass03.mp4 (1 min 47 sec)

The reason I'm posting this is I'd like to know if anyone's Stratos has a functioning Stabilization Sensor, i.e., does your Stratos engage differential thrust when your Stratos is in a bank (& you're not using the rudder)?
Old May 30, 2012, 03:15 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,687 Posts
Here's my test. Throttle is at zero.

Hold the Stratos level by the nose with a finger under each wing at the root.

Quickly roll the model 90 degrees to the left, return to center, quickly roll it to the right.

You will see the motor on the side you roll start up briefly. That to me means its working correctly. The low wing motor should speed up. If the high wing motor sped up, it would auger into the ground.

When flying in the wind at SEFF, other models without correction will drop a wing and then the pilot will need to pick the low wing up. With the Stratos, any time a wing started to drop without control input, it automagically corrected. You get a very small oscillation, but it makes the airplane track much smoother.

Good to know that we do not have a "real" gyro, but lasers acting like a gyro. Don't open the case, you could put an eye out with that. -- ggunners

P.S. Search on possibly related "ring laser gyro".
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ggunners; May 30, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunners View Post
Here's my test. Throttle is at zero.

Hold the Stratos level by the nose with a finger under each wing at the root.

Quickly roll the model 90 degrees to the left, return to center, quickly roll it to the right.

You will see the motor on the side you roll start up briefly. That to me means its working correctly
Thank you so much!!

Mine doesn't do that.

Can another Stratos owner duplicate gguners' test and verify their plane does what his does?

I'm starting to think my "Stabilization Sensor" system may not be working properly. Yea, yea, the Stratos' system too
Old May 30, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Thank you so much!!

Mine doesn't do that.

Can another Stratos owner duplicate gguners' test and verify their plane does what his does?

I'm starting to think my "Stabilization Sensor" system may not be working properly. Yea, yea, the Stratos' system too
Confirmed, mine does it also wasn't sure what the hell root meant, but moved to left quickly and motor kicked on slow..took me a couple trys to get the speed of the turn before it worked. btw very good dicussion here guys very informative..
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old May 30, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amichai View Post
Anyone know the dimensions of the battery? Looking to buy an aftermarket one.
I can show you one with the bird itself, I am also in Huntsville out towards new market way. I now have 3 hrs. into this airplane and it is great, I have been working on landing today and have found the plane to be very stable at low speeds.
mike_dani is offline Find More Posts by mike_dani
Old May 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
YosefAugers if you still have the nose weight could you weigh it for me?
17 grams:

Name: 17g.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 162.4 KB
Description:

I did an initial calibration and believe that's good to +/- 10%

-Yo
Old May 31, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amichai View Post
This is what I ordered...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17826

based off of the dimensions someone sent me in this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post21417624
I'm having a blast flying my Stratos but I need more batteries. The HK battery in the link above looks great, but they are currently out of stock - and who knows how long?

Can someone recommend another source for spare batteries for the Stratos? Here's some information:

Stock battery is 1300 mAh 2S 20C, 67 grams, 65x35x15mm

HK battery is 1300 mAh 2S 20C, 82 grams, 70x35x15mm

Battery compartment has lots of space at 100x43x23mm

For some unkown reason, I have three each of this battery:
1300 mAh 3S 20-30C, 105 grams, 70x35x20

The only thing I can think of is that I ordered it by mistake. It's a 3 cell battery which will probably make the Stratos fly like a bat-outa-hell! Just before it burns out the ESC and the motors! Has anyone tried a 3S battery in the Stratos?

More importantly, where can I get replacement 2S batteries with out the wait?

TIA, Gus
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old May 31, 2012, 02:31 PM
da Perfesser
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
I'm having a blast flying my Stratos but I need more batteries. The HK battery in the link above looks great, but they are currently out of stock - and who knows how long?
Beats me. Have you asked them? Did you contact them and ask when they'd be back in stock?

You might consider doing so because, well, they might know how long before they get that battery back in stock.

Quote:
Can someone recommend another source for spare batteries for the Stratos?
If it was me, I'd type "2S Lipo" into Google (which is a "search engine"), hit the "Enter" key on my keyboard, and, when the results come up, "Left Click" on the "Shopping" link of the left side of the screen and see which of the dozens (hundreds, thousands?) of online stores that sell 2 LiPo batteries currently have in stock the battery I'm looking for.

If you're having trouble with the different connectors, I used changing the battery connector on the Stratos as the project for my two-part series on how to solder that you can find on my blog. My blog is here <- is a link you can "left click" on to navigate your browser there. Once there, scroll down about half way and you'll see "Soldering - Part02" then, below that, "Soldering - Part01"

Quote:
Has anyone tried a 3S battery in the Stratos?
I haven't.

Quote:
TIA, Gus
You're very welcome Gus.

-Yosef
Old May 31, 2012, 04:25 PM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
When I first attach my battery, the plane is level and the battery is not in the compartment. After I her it initialize I flip it over, attach the battery all the way forward in the compartment and close the hatch. I return the acft to level, run the throttle to full and return, shift the acft left, right, down, up, dip the wings, listen to servos move, and then fly.

One thing I have found is that when I am flying low, 50' and less then 500' away at low or no throttle and initiate a slow turn I get slow response or the acft starts to turn in a different than intended direction and I may even decide okay I guess I'll turn that way. As soon as I return to half or greater throttle I get all the expected responses. Anybody else see this or notice it? Maybe I'm just scaring myself, but a couple times I got lower than I wanted but have always been happy and sometimes surprised at how strong and steep it climbs out and returns to full response. It worries me that this may happen one day at the end of a battery and not get the same strong return. Could low throttle flight reduce power to the elevator or rudder servos? Just thinking but probably not to smartly... :-)
lotsaturbulence is offline Find More Posts by lotsaturbulence
Last edited by lotsaturbulence; May 31, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 05:22 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,687 Posts
When the airplane is flying slower, the control surfaces have less effect. When flying faster, they have more effect.

With many airplanes, including the Stratos, they will seem to have less control at lower speeds. But the control surfaces are still moving the same amount, there is just less air flowing across them. -- ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Yosef, thanks for your reply. When I checked again on that particular battery, I found out that I was looking at the battery that is stocked the the USA warehouse, and it still showed backordered. But they had a link to the International warehouse (China) so I clicked on that, and they have lots of stock of this same battery in China.

So I went ahead and ordered 4 of these batteries. Then in searching HK for adapter cables I found exactly what I wanted and ordered a package of 2 adapter cables.. The cables have a male XT60 connector (to connect to the Turnigy battery) and a female EC2 Losi connector on the other end (to connect to the Stratos) - perfect! Ready to go, just plug and play - no soldering required.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dproduct=16531

BTW, I am not opposed to soldering at all, just lazy. I started tinkering with electronics when I was 11 years old, building electronic stuff continuing in High School, college and graduate school. Served in the Signal Corps of the Army, became a ham (amateur radio)operater and built most of my own gear.

Gus

Quote:
Beats me. Have you asked them? Did you contact them and ask when they'd be back in stock?

You might consider doing so because, well, they might know how long before they get that battery back in stock.

If it was me, I'd type "2S Lipo" into Google (which is a "search engine"), hit the "Enter" key on my keyboard, and, when the results come up, "Left Click" on the "Shopping" link of the left side of the screen and see which of the dozens (hundreds, thousands?) of online stores that sell 2 LiPo batteries currently have in stock the battery I'm looking for.

If you're having trouble with the different connectors, I used changing the battery connector on the Stratos as the project for my two-part series on how to solder that you can find on my blog. My blog is here <- is a link you can "left click" on to navigate your browser there. Once there, scroll down about half way and you'll see "Soldering - Part02" then, below that, "Soldering - Part01"

I haven't.

You're very welcome Gus.

-Yosef
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer