SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
glad your through battery's I will just stick to CA glue for now.....My mini cub is untouched as far as repairs go...and that was the plane that worried me
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 12:52 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Packing tape is your friend with styrofoam planes
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old May 19, 2012, 09:55 AM
da Perfesser
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
..so go back to house and get the stratos and had her flying for about a minute...long time for me..lol...and it was going towards the utility lines and I over correct and broke the rubber nose off. I going to local hobby shop tommorow to get some CA glue...would you advise sticking a couple toothpicks in the nose for more support?
Ginohio,

Was the foam rubber nose embedded in the ground? It doesn't count as a REAL crash unless it's at least three inches down

I've had great success just spreading CA on the front of the fuselage, sticking the nose on & propping the plane up on its nose. I've done that every time to stick the nose back on. Works great for me. Knowing how hard I plow the nose into fixed objects, I'd worry about pushing toothpicks into the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Firemouth View Post
Packing tape is your friend with styrofoam planes
The only packing tape I've added to mine is replacing that torn away from under the wing holding the motor wires in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
for those that haven't broken the nose off yet it has a round weight in the back of it I guess for CG it is right there where the nose came off
I removed that round steel sphere, cut the forward bulkhead off the battery compartment to move the battery forward to regain proper CG & I prefer it so lightened. The CG spec isn't in the instruction booklet but is on the HH site under specs.
YosefAugers is offline Find More Posts by YosefAugers
Old May 20, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
lol...the ground is to hard here yet to penetrate it...hits then breaks my plane..I am going to practice on my mini supercubI like the stratos better but of the 2 The mini is going to get the glue from now on. It is odd but the mini supercub seemed easier to keep flying..that's just my feeling anyways.
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old May 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
I actually have about a ten foot touch down zone, and if i come in an inch or 10' too high, I have an 80 degree full throttle climb to make a go-around. It is sporting, but forces concentratition, and NO landing ABOUT in this general area. I committ and stick, or crash in a skip or can't pull off an 80 degree climbout. No guts, no glory. Makes for positive and dedicated glideslopes and finals. My champ would just stall and float down. If I pull the nose up on the Stratos to try and bleed off speed and lose altitude, the forward speed makes the plane follow the nose, and I am having a hard time with a late flare, cause the forward speed actually causes a new flight path that follows the nose. Learning in progress. 100 landings in a 100' wide yard despite wind direction. I have dislodged the wing about 3 times, and tore the battery hatch catch out once in a really stuck pancake landing. Every other one may not have been pretty, put have been acceptable. I am proud of at least half... and learning.... The 17 oz of the Stratos lets me fly when the 1 oz Champ was grounded, But the forward inertia of 17 oz, especially with a tailwind, is a thinking, or dumb man's game. I have the second half covered, practicing to perfect the first, Low intermediate is my HIGH goal... :-) Lord. please let them progress the Statos brick to DSM2 so I can use a real controller, and stop guesing at time, which I keep accurate, plus or minus 30 minutes???? I love my Stratos..... just want the company to make it better, since I am an assembler, which is world's different than a builder, and I KNOW it....
lotsaturbulence is offline Find More Posts by lotsaturbulence
Old May 20, 2012, 10:43 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Man, this is so true! My landings are horrible! I landed well with wheels by using about 200' of the street as a runway. But one bad landing popped the nose gear out. Now I belly land and for some reason that is harder because I have to land under more power to slide in and not nose crash. This requires me to have a much longer approach. Dropping in and flaring under speed with enertia from forward flight always ends in a stall and crash for me. My nose on the fuselage is starting to get banged up.

I have the Cessna 182 select but I have not maiden it yet because of so many errors with the Stratos. I can only imagine my landing the Cessna going badly. I will also be getting the Phase 3 U2 spy plane RTF this week. I am going to install my own Spektrum AR8000 receiver and use my DX8 on that plane.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:13 PM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Hey fire, I feel fore you Sticking a Stratos landing without destroying it and allownig for a tem foot slite is a little intimidting. My U2 needs at least a hundred foot low/slow/flare zone so far. It's definatitely a park bird and never even considered for a backyard dawn or dusk flight. Park is a must. Floats forever at 12 inches ir less into the wind. And again, as a jet, requires a manly launch where the stratos will almost fly out of your hand. I love variety, and the concentration it takes. I have a much harder time with the U2 and orientation than with the Stratos. And where the U2 floats, the Staratos will come down, with posiive guidance. I love them both, in the right environment. At least the U2 can fly off my DX8. God I love being retired and having saved money (which meant not flying anything until after the age of 52) and dawn and dusk. and the internet, which lets my buy aerospace machines and parts from around the world, and try to assemble them in a workable manner. My life is good. It would be easier with 2 hands, but now I have time and money, and it makes me think harder and be creative.. happy flyimg. and figure out what you will buy next when your current stock is crashed beyond repaiirable... :-)

i got the bnf u2 and swapped receivers too. I was too lazy for the pnp and having to paint it. Assemble and fly is for me...
lotsaturbulence is offline Find More Posts by lotsaturbulence
Old May 21, 2012, 06:05 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,702 Posts
For those of you who have the FMS 2 alpha 8.5 RC simulator,
try out this brand new Stratos for FMS.

Also the Stratos for RC Desk Pilot

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ggunners; May 29, 2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added RC Desk Pilot version
Old May 22, 2012, 04:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
3rd Session

All,

I bought the Stratos on spec after the somewhat glowing reviews here.

Well, I do love it.

Had my third session today as the sun went down over the NZ South island. Slope soaring in 5 kts ish in Wellington NZ. Those of you that know Wellington will know the wind can be an issue.

My stratos has perfomed brilliently. I was able to hang on the slope lift at about 30% to 40% throttle. A few loops and tight turns on high rates. Really good behaviour. Never out of control. Coming in to land she would hang over the landing zone. Lovely.

One notable moment was on my second outing last Saturday, a nose first landing actual got the plane to bounce up about 6 inches helped the rubber nose cone. Dislodge the battery but no other damage

One last point, having set up the landing run my 5 year old son can and has land this thing.....

So, Love this plane. First one since 1983. AXN floater on the way so roles next

Thanks for all the frank advice on this site. Extreamly helpful

Jaitt
jaitt is offline Find More Posts by jaitt
Old May 22, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, WA, Ferndale
Joined May 2012
332 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just signed up, and this is my first post. I'm a complete newby and have exactly one 3-minute RC airplane flight under my belt--- my son bought me a firebird Stratos recently, and we took it out last weekend. I flew first and just tried to get a lot of altitude, did some turns, remembered to return to "neutral", descended, and belly landed just like in the video I saw on-line. Wow, how cool! Then my son flew and ended up putting the thing in a vertical nose dive from about 40 feet. The result was pretty serious. The entire nose from the wing forward was "offset" by 1/2 inch or so--- the rubber tip did not detach; the bottom of the fuselage split from the nose gear back to the battery cover and tore out the cover latch; the "windshield" portion where the wing "tongue" fits in was completely torn away; and the left spinner was pushed back against the housing and would not turn. My first reaction was to think that if anyone was going to destroy the thing, it was OK to be my son, since he bought it, and I also had the thought that perhaps this was the luckiest thing that could have happened to me before the RC airplane hobby grabbed ahold of me. Well, I pushed aside that thought and finally set to work trying to effect repairs. I squeezed, pushed, pulled, and otherwise manipulated the nose into some kind of basic alignment, although it's a little irregular and bumpy. I glued the "windshield" portion back, glued the split in the fuselage back together, and glue the latch piece and nose gear fitting back in place. Definately not perfect--- aside from the shape of the nose, there is a gap where the front of the wing seats into the fuselage. Not perfect, but I don't really know how perfect it needs to be to still fly reasonably well. As far as the spinner, I am a really confused. The LEFT spinner was pushed back, and in an attempt to pull off the prop and spinner, I only managed to pull it out a little way to where it had approximately the same clearance from the housing as before. The right spinner looked fine, and when the two were compared they looked aligned. So, I got everything together, recharged the battery, and started it up. The left motor/spinner/prop (which was the one I thought was damaged) seemed just fine. However, the right spinner and prop which look fine, sticks at low throttle (starting after the left) and runs slower than the left motor. I realize now that I can't test fly it to see if the fuselage damage is a problem until the motors are running the same. From my description, can anyone diagose the problem for me? I don't know if I need new spinner/props, or new motors---the price is significant so I'd like to know that I need new motors before I order them. Assuming I can get the motors to be operating correctly I figure I might need a new fuselage if it doesn't fly well after the motors taken care of. Oh yeah, then I'd have to switch out the electonics, ARRGH! Any thoughts from you experienced folks on how I should approach this would appreciated. I probably wouldn't normally bother, but that one flight was really soooo cool--- I want MORE! Help! Thanks, Tom
black6088 is offline Find More Posts by black6088
Old May 23, 2012, 08:49 AM
da Perfesser
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
As far as the spinner, I am a really confused. The LEFT spinner was pushed back, and in an attempt to pull off the prop and spinner, I only managed to pull it out a little way to where it had approximately the same clearance from the housing as before. The right spinner looked fine, and when the two were compared they looked aligned. So, I got everything together, recharged the battery, and started it up. The left motor/spinner/prop (which was the one I thought was damaged) seemed just fine. However, the right spinner and prop which look fine, sticks at low throttle (starting after the left) and runs slower than the left motor.
Tom,

1. Are both the propellers clear of the engine nacelle? Similar to the picture below (click on it 1-3 times to zoom in):

Name: Prop.jpg
Views: 156
Size: 144.1 KB
Description:

Are both your propellers spaced away from the two screw heads sticking out from the engine?

2. Do both propellers turn equally easily by hand/finger? When you're turning the props, do the props "wobble" possibly indicating bent prop shafts?

3. I can duplicate what you're describing (yes, the crash but I'm talking about one motor turning on before the other) by utilizing a feature of the "Virtual Instructor" (VI) where, with throttle to zero, if I push the rudder (right joystick) to the right, the left motor comes on but the right motor does not.

As a test, if you leave the throttle off and push the rudder (right) joystick to the left, does the right motor come on first?

You might try disabling the VI as explained in the manual and see if the right motor comes on at the same time as the left.

4. If the right motor continues to behave as you've described, you might consider unhooking the wing and temporarily swapping the motor leads to see if the problem is the right motor or "upstream" of where you swap the motor leads.

If you want to try this, you might cut the leads coming out of the fuselage ~2" back from the JST connectors then swap the connectors temporarily by stripping ~1/2" of the insulation off of each wire then using tiny wire nuts or just twisting the wires together & temporarily covering with electrical tape.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
YosefAugers is offline Find More Posts by YosefAugers
Old May 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
Wow, seems to me like a total loss. I think that is why the plane came in at such a low price point; so it can be replaced cheaply. Personally I would think it cheaper to just buy another plane and use the old one for parts; the parts undamaged of course. I know places where the Firebird Stratos can be had for $112.00. Pretty cheap as far as RC goes.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old May 23, 2012, 06:36 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Wow, seems to me like a total loss. I think that is why the plane came in at such a low price point; so it can be replaced cheaply. Personally I would think it cheaper to just buy another plane and use the old one for parts; the parts undamaged of course. I know places where the Firebird Stratos can be had for $112.00. Pretty cheap as far as RC goes.
Chuck is actually right here. The best bet, and I have crashed and repaired many planes and helicopters, is to buy a new one. Use the one you have for a spare. Also, know that your wreck is a non-typical wreck. Most wrecks won't be an end all nose dive. After a few more flights you will learn to avoid such things and know how to gauge when and how to pull out of a dive. New pilots get nervous. You will also learn and remember to use the wind as tool to slow you down, or lift you up. In your crash, the wind was probably behind you increasing your speed and decreasing your ability to pull out of the dive. In time you learn to turn into the wind to soar back up and out of a dive.

This plane is awesome, and after a few more flights you will really relax with it and truly love the characteristics of flight that are specific to this design.(3-channel glider/trainer). Go get another plane and try again. Maybe split the costs with your son.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:08 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
I flew my FB Stratos today in an 8 MPH wind. Very hard to fly against the wind. The wind wants to make her climb and I had to give it down elevator just to keep it flying straight and level. I flew for about 5 minutes and decided the wind was too strong. I made it down ok and landed in a dirt field with weeds so it was a bit rough, but no damage done. When I got home, I got on my sim, adjusted the wind so it was blowing exactly like it was during my flight session today (8 mph coming from the southwest). I chose the plane closest to the FB Stratos that is in the sim, the EasyStar pusher plane/glider. I was astounded when the sim made the plane act EXACTLY like my FB Stratos had that afternoon. What a great sim Real Flight 6 is. Well, now I know that when the manual says to fly in calm conditions they mean CALM conditions.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old May 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,518 Posts
Flying in more than 5 mph wind ( including gusts) is a skill that I have my students work on after they have achieved basic competence. Sim time will help.

Yes, down elevator is the proper response to keep the plane moving forward once you have used up all of your throttle. I fly gliders in 15 mph wind and all I have is elevator.

Eventually you learn how to balance the elevator against the air speed and hover. Fun.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr