HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,440 Posts
Some of the replies to the OP would suggest that EVERYONE has access to a model aviation instructor. I can assure you that is not the case. Hence the reason for planes like the FB Stratos and the HZ Champ. However, flying a light, foam, electric airplane in 10-12 MPH winds is definately a no-no. I have flown my FB Stratos and Champ by myself, with minimal damage (in the case of the Champ, no damage) and with NO instruction except my Real Flight 6 sim. The key is to know the limitations of the aircraft. I have even landed with no instruction except for the sim. I find it ridiculous that someone would suggest that the ONLY way to learn how to fly a model airplane like the FB and Champ is with an instructor. Rubbish. Just fly these planes in very little or no wind and you will be successful. I was. I strongly recommend a sim though for those NEVER having flown before. But, for some that may not even be necessary. As for comparing the Champ and FB Stratos, they completely different from each other. The Champ flies, well, like a champ, in a small, ball park type environment. The Stratos needs a large area. The Stratos is faster, but less squirrley. Turning is easier with the Stratos as you don't have to remember to give "up" elevator in the turn. Both are fun and I would recommend either one for someone like me, a beginner. Just make sure that you choose the correct flying space and wind conditions (0-2 MPH only for the Champ, only slightly higer for the Stratos).
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,175 Posts
Chuck,

I agree with your info about the Champ -- for beginners.

But, one of the great things about it is how it remains a favorite even of more-experienced pilots.

Plenty of guys who have many years under their belt -- such as I, in this photo at test-pilot school -- and a hanger full of challenging birds, still bring Champs to the field (or keep them in the back of the car!) for relaxed flying in good conditions or for cool windsurfing when there's a bit of breeze.

It'll be interesting to see whether the Stratos gathers the same kind of loyal following of pilots who've progressed up the learning curve.

Dave

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old May 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
I've never seen a plane like the stratos before but it looks like a great plane for those who want a trainer plane that can teach them about twin engined planes before they go and dive into their deam rc plane
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old May 14, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,440 Posts
Wow pug, I never thought about that. Especially since I have my DX5e set for slow rate so the Champ is really docile for me. Once I get more stick time, I will put it on high rate and see how she flies for me. Thanks for the insight......I can't wait to get to your level of flying.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old May 14, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
I'm having a bit of a issue maybe someone can help me out.

my elevator control does not work what so ever, I'm not sure if the receiver was damaged in a crash but it does not respond to input. my rudder will work flawlessly but nothing from the elevator. i even tried disconnecting the push rod (thinking it was binding) and that still didn't fix it.

anyone have any suggestions?

i priced out a new receiver for the stratos and its $50, at that rate i almost feel i should buy a whole new plane as back up pieces. any thoughts?

what would it entail to install a different receiver and purchase a dx5?
The_Josh is offline Find More Posts by The_Josh
Old May 14, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
965 Posts
hmmm. Newbie here...are you sure it worked on 1St flight?...did you set it up with wings off on full throttle... And level trim from there?I know basic questions but you may have missed skmeghing
Ginohio is online now Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old May 14, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
Yeah it worked the first 4 flights now nothing
Old May 14, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Josh View Post
Yeah it worked the first 4 flights now nothing
all I say....is I never thought my up elevator did much..it does move maybe an 1/8 of an inch......if you look through previous posts it is normal from what others say I guess...
Old May 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Josh View Post
I'm having a bit of a issue maybe someone can help me out.

my elevator control does not work what so ever, I'm not sure if the receiver was damaged in a crash but it does not respond to input. my rudder will work flawlessly but nothing from the elevator. i even tried disconnecting the push rod (thinking it was binding) and that still didn't fix it.

anyone have any suggestions?

i priced out a new receiver for the stratos and its $50, at that rate i almost feel i should buy a whole new plane as back up pieces. any thoughts?

what would it entail to install a different receiver and purchase a dx5?
Josh,
Install the battery and check rudder and elevator inputs. Both rudder and elevator should move. If elevator is not moving check the physical connections to the servo and the servo gear. It is possible that the servo is damaged. You might be able to replace just the servo, but you may need to replace the whole receiver.

You could change out the receiver for a AR6000 type and a Dx5e but you will lose all mixes and proportional control to the twin engines. It would be a mess to fly. I would call Horizon Hobby and ask them what they think......
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old May 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Nov 2009
101 Posts
TO: The_JOSH: I've been flying nearly four years, love my Radian, and bought this on a lark. I LOVE IT! I call it a plane with a brain. My advice, for what it's worth, is to read the instruction manual top to bottom and practice on a simulator if you don't join a club. I'm not a club person. My friends and I fly on a sod farm and boy my learning curve was steep since I went it alone. We all learned from each other, and hundreds of mistakes. I wish the Stratos was around when I started. Easy on the sticks, and have fun!
Qualo Kabrigne is offline Find More Posts by Qualo Kabrigne
Old May 16, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualo Kabrigne View Post
TO: The_JOSH: I've been flying nearly four years, love my Radian, and bought this on a lark. I LOVE IT! I call it a plane with a brain. My advice, for what it's worth, is to read the instruction manual top to bottom and practice on a simulator if you don't join a club. I'm not a club person. My friends and I fly on a sod farm and boy my learning curve was steep since I went it alone. We all learned from each other, and hundreds of mistakes. I wish the Stratos was around when I started. Easy on the sticks, and have fun!
Amen...
Old May 17, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
for some reason the servo is damaged, i troubleshooted already.

i called hobby zone and after just explaining what happened they said no problem then shipped me out a new receiver!
Old May 17, 2012, 04:25 PM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
I love the Stratos, and am a forever self taught beginner/low intermediate flyer and am happy with that. I have been through a half dozen Champs in a couple years, a couple damaged and a couple flyaways, and one or two lost in fog/low clouds and unable to control to sight and return. I love walking out the back door and throwing the Champ up at first or last light or the occasional windless afternoons. My backyard is about 100' wide with a 6' fence and a 35 degree approach angle of attack for landing when the wind is right. The stratos has opened my flight envelope up to a pretty steady 5 mph favorable wind and added flying time because of it's weight. I'll drag my P-51 to the park when I feel like it, but it's great to walk out the back door and throw the Stratos up. I just wish that it was DSM2 so I could bind it to my DX8 and have a built in throttle timer and know I had a better range. I know the mixes for the VI are in the TX, but they could publish those, sort of like the rotory wing Blade SR. But a Stratos will stay in my inventory whether I get better or not because it is fun and durable and I can carefully fly around the neighborhood without worrying about killing, injuring, or damaging surrounding obstacles or neighbors. I am waiting for the pictures of the replacement bare fuselage and fuselage with electronics to hit the net so I know exactly what it comes with so I am ready for the eventual repair is due. I am having great fun for the price. DSM2 and brusless would make it perfect for me... happy flying
lotsaturbulence is offline Find More Posts by lotsaturbulence
Old May 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
965 Posts
O.K. beautiful evening here tonight very low winds..So I decided to take the Mini Super cub I bought out for a maiden..Have had it for awhile now but too nervous to try it until I got my stratos few weeks ago.. I was just practicing some hand launches and landings..after a few times I was turning a bit and just let her glide down...I really like how this plane will glide btw...after a few times of this I noticed that the bird was not turning as I hit the rudder, leave it to say the screw that holds it to rudder clevis was gone.I did finger tighten them before launch btw..So now I thinking...I shaould have brought the stratos also..so go back to house and get the stratos and had her flying for about a minute...long time for me..lol...and it was going towards the utility lines and I over correct and broke the rubber nose off. I going to local hobby shop tommorow to get some CA glue...would you advise sticking a couple toothpicks in the nose for more support? for those that haven't broken the nose off yet it has a round weight in the back of it I guess for CG it is right there where the nose came off...I can post a better picture if needed...Thank You all for the help..
G

Name: photo (11).jpg
Views: 227
Size: 95.2 KB
Description:

Here is the rubber nose with the round weight in the foam
Last edited by Ginohio; May 18, 2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: another photo
Old May 18, 2012, 08:59 PM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
hmmmm. I skipped into my fence before but must have been lucky. I would skip the toothpicks if I could get a good fit and contact back, and just CA it. Get the CA spread on both sides, fit it, seperate for a few seconds and check you have complete coverage, and then stick for good. I would add four strips of packing tape after it dries, on all four sides, and call it good as new, while I shopped for good prices and coupons for a new fuselage and spare parts. Amainhobbies always has free shipping and coupons when you buy enough, and you can always add a battery or two to hit the minimums, and an ec2 adapter for a real charger. That's just what I do, but i'm having too much fun to worry about price. I just went through 2 batts at the dusk almost calm wind time, and keep working on pancaking it in for a spot landing in the back yard..
lotsaturbulence is offline Find More Posts by lotsaturbulence