Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 07, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
Hey al Stratos owners!!! Today was the 2nd time I took mine out, and actually 2nd time flying any type of rc plane..OK Crashed of course..lol But my question to those of you that have this bird is...... I followed instructions per flight test and the manual to level out rudder on full throttle..I have done this 2 times.I get no up elevator when I go full throttle which is what I thought it was supposed to do. The elevator just stays level..If I try to move the elevator by hand it has plenty of down elevator play but up it may go 1/8 of an inch up and thats it..I not saying this is why I crashed...I know why...LOL I suck.. but is this normal...any help would greatly be appreciated.. Thanks all
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 06:34 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,830 Posts
You are supposed to get some up elevator when you reduce the throttle. This to help keep the plane from descending too rapidly at reduced throttle settings. Please reread pages 6, 7 & 10 in the manual for additional information.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old May 07, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
You are supposed to get some up elevator when you reduce the throttle. This to help keep the plane from descending too rapidly at reduced throttle settings. Please reread pages 6, 7 & 10 in the manual for additional information.
Gary

Flite Test - Hobbyzone Stratos - REVIEW (11 min 1 sec)

watch this vid... Starting about 4:30 in it talks about throttle to elevator lift...The manual is all over the place in my opinion..but will reread pages 6 &7....page 10 I have read numerous ties.Thank you for your help
Old May 07, 2012, 08:23 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,830 Posts
The manual mentions the elevator moving but is not clear on which direction. After verifying that control surfaces are correct you will see a slight upward movement of the elevator when you retard the throttle. It is not a large amount of movement but it is there. You certainly do not want the the elevator going up with full throttle! This raises the nose and would make level flight at full throttle difficult. As it is the plane climbs by design with full throttle. The settings you verify, as called for in the manual, will give you the correct amount of elevator movement.
Hope this helps.
Gary

Watched the video again. They are stating how it works and they are correct! Full throttle a bit of down elevator and low throttle a bit of up.
Last edited by Gary Hoorn; May 07, 2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: More Info
Old May 07, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
The manual mentions the elevator moving but is not clear on which direction. After verifying that control surfaces are correct you will see a slight upward movement of the elevator when you retard the throttle. It is not a large amount of movement but it is there. You certainly do not want the the elevator going up with full throttle! This raises the nose and would make level flight at full throttle difficult. As it is the plane climbs by design with full throttle. The settings you verify, as called for in the manual, will give you the correct amount of elevator movement.
Hope this helps.
Gary

Watched the video again. They are stating how it works and they are correct! Full throttle a bit of down elevator and low throttle a bit of up.
Gary, just read manual again pages 6&7 Thanks for the help.... I was thinking full throttle and should have up elevator...I misunderstood the flight test vid...sucks being a newbie at something...but, been new at a lot of things..live and learn...Thanks again...
Old May 07, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
sorry just a side note, in my crash today I popped off both foam prop protectors will a dab of hot glue work to get them to stick or should I go get some CA?
Old May 08, 2012, 06:18 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,665 Posts
Hot glue is a bit heavy for big repairs but just fine as you used it. -- ggunners
ggunners is online now Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 09:37 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,830 Posts
Ginohio,
We all started somewhere. Don't be too hard on yourself. If it was all that easy we would not need any learning time. You seem to have the right attitude and will improve with practice. In the meantime get some UHU POR for these foam planes. Totally foam safe and those spinners can be removed later if necessary. It is a bit expensive but I consider it mandatory on my workbench. CA works but can make subsequent repairs difficult.
Gary

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/uhu_glue_409_ctg.htm
Old May 08, 2012, 10:04 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Gary,

Thanks for the link to UHU Por at Hobby Lobby. I know that UHU Por has many fans, especially in Europe, but it seems hard to find on this side of the pond.

Two other -- but I believe pretty similar -- glues with lots of die-hard adherents (yuk-yuk) are:

Foam-Tac
http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...id=146:foamtac

Welder contact adhesive
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Welder-...-00WELDERS.htm (also usually available at Lowes and other hardware stores)

All three of these seem to be excellent for foam applications. I'd like to see someone put them through rigorous testing to determine which is the "Best"!

(Or, at least, which is best for particular purposes.)

Dave

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; May 08, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
Had a big crash today!!!
I got the bright idea to mod my elevator today, BAD IDEA!!!!
the elevator mod is not recommended! Do not do this! This mod made the plane fly very erratically and it was super unpredictable. The plane nosed up and stalled and then kept over correcting up and down until it slammed into the ground nose first. It damaged the fuselage and wing. I repaired it with clear packing tape and restored the elevator to normal and it flies OK now. It is a little twitchy but it is okay.

Take my advice and don't mod this plane. Keep it as is.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old May 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,665 Posts
With the "Virtual Instructor" active, it will probably overcorrect with the much bigger elevator, so the elevator mod should probably only be used with Virtual Instructor turned off and only after you've mastered all the other flight modes including landing gear and high rates. Good to know. Thanks for sharing. -- ggunners
ggunners is online now Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Firemouth View Post
Had a big crash today!!!
I got the bright idea to mod my elevator today, BAD IDEA!!!!
the elevator mod is not recommended! Do not do this! This mod made the plane fly very erratically and it was super unpredictable. The plane nosed up and stalled and then kept over correcting up and down until it slammed into the ground nose first. It damaged the fuselage and wing. I repaired it with clear packing tape and restored the elevator to normal and it flies OK now. It is a little twitchy but it is okay.

Take my advice and don't mod this plane. Keep it as is.
ouch... I wish I had the balls to do that....I have a hard enough time not crashing as it is...I know I have been flying to low and not enough time to correct my mistakes.
thanks to the 6 keys to success sticky....just wating for a calm day to try again hoping saturday..
Old May 12, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
Break-away wing? Really??

I have my Firebird Stratos all put together and she's ready to fly. One of the last things the manual told me to do was to insert that rod into the plastic rod holder such that it is clamping down on the wing. I had to push down on the wing hard to get that little rod to slide into the holder. Then they told me to secure that rod (with flat surface up) to the fuselage with two screws, which I did, nice and tight.

My goodness, that's like a Fort Knox clamp, securing the wing to the fuselage! The promotional literature for this Stratos brags about this, "Breakaway wing that can separate from the fuselage in the event of a crash". But with that rod securing the wing to the fuselage I don't see ANY way in the world the wing could break away in a crash, unless it was a major crash which destroyed the whole plane.

So where am I going wrong here?
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old May 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Nope, trust me, it will. I crashed mine, not too badly, and the wing did indeed separate. I did do some minor damage to the nose, but I fixed that with some CA and tape. No damage to the wing though. I would urge you to use better tape on the wing foils since the tape that come with the plane is really weak. I also used stronger tape on the horizontal stabalizer too.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old May 12, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Nope, trust me, it will. I crashed mine, not too badly, and the wing did indeed separate. I did do some minor damage to the nose, but I fixed that with some CA and tape. No damage to the wing though. I would urge you to use better tape on the wing foils since the tape that come with the plane is really weak. I also used stronger tape on the horizontal stabalizer too.
agrees that wing will separate..make sure you tighten the screws that hold the wing pin in...In my haste after first crash I thought you had to loosen them to get the wing attached properly....you don't......the wing will slide under the pin.. I didn't know this and I flew again after attaching the wing and didn't tighten the set screws and lost my wing pin..now using a toothpick no biggy..