SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:25 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
OK, thanks. The video seemed to suggest that the wing was held on by magnets alone and that seemed fraught with danger.

So what is this "break away" wing feature they were discussing in the video?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:40 PM
USA, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Mar 2005
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YosefAugers View Post
I was under the apparently mistaken impression that "Beginner Training Area" meant this was for, well, beginners.

It appears that I was wrong and far more advanced RC pilots are posting here with content that I, being a newbie/beginner, can't even begin to understand.

I'm heading back to my blog (here) to continue to document my "fits and starts" learning to fly.

If there are really any "beginners" buying the stratos and want to talk about beginner stuff with it, that's where you can find me.

So long and good luck, but, well, advanced pilots like those of you recently posting about how great you are flying a beginner's plane don't need luck, do you?

i've really appreciated all your excellent posts on this thread yosef. thanks much.
specriv is offline Find More Posts by specriv
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YosefAugers View Post
I was under the apparently mistaken impression that "Beginner Training Area" meant this was for, well, beginners.

It appears that I was wrong and far more advanced RC pilots are posting here with content that I, being a newbie/beginner, can't even begin to understand.

I'm heading back to my blog (here) to continue to document my "fits and starts" learning to fly.

If there are really any "beginners" buying the stratos and want to talk about beginner stuff with it, that's where you can find me.

So long and good luck, but, well, advanced pilots like those of you recently posting about how great you are flying a beginner's plane don't need luck, do you?

So, you have people who know what they are talking about in the thread. Ask your questions.

What do you not understand? There are no dumb questions.

We are happy to help.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
OK, thanks. The video seemed to suggest that the wing was held on by magnets alone and that seemed fraught with danger.

So what is this "break away" wing feature they were discussing in the video?
The pin itself holds the wing on assisting the magnet, I can verify that it works..I was out yesterday first time flying in to much wind and had a crash in the cornfield across my street on hard soil, not grass.. and the wing came off just as it was designed to do. I had to remove the pin when reattaching the wing..hope that helps
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,889 Posts
I bought one of these on Saturday and flew it last Sunday. Fantastic plane. I got her up about 200 ft or so and was able to do nice smooth turns. It felt stable and was nice that if it went into a dive, I just let the sticks go and it leveled out. Fantastic. I had one mishap and it kind of bent the nose in, but I popped it out, straightened the foam out and added a little CA glue and it was right as rain. I lost one of the wing skids after a rough landing on dirt, and couldn't find it. I put on the landing gear so I can see how it behaves on a ground take off. One thing I did notice is that the receiver will not bind to my Specktrum DX5e transmitter. No big deal though because for the price point of this plane you get a heck of a lot in the package. BTW - I have had a few RC planes and never was able to fly them well and usually destroyed them in a crash. I pretty much gave up on planes and stuck to helis and cars/trucks. The Firebird Stratos has me interested in planes again. Kudos to Horizon Hobby.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2009
101 Posts
I flew my Stratos three times yesterday and it was a sheer joy! I love it. I have been flying 4 years, fly a Radian, and yet I feel for now anyway, I'll leave virtual instructor on, because it makes it so easy to fly, and because it's fun to see/feel what it does. I tell my friends the Stratos is "a plane with a brain." It's a fast one too. I highly recommend one for pilots at every level of experience.
Qualo Kabrigne is offline Find More Posts by Qualo Kabrigne
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,028 Posts
Having had.this plane on preorder...I couldn't wait and bought a mini super cub 2. Weeks later after finding out they wouldn't be available for another month...my mini cub sits never flown because of to windy weather here...In restrospect I should have just been patient and bought 2 of the Stratos..the mini cub was 99 bucks compared to 129 for this plane....and this plane offers so much more for the extra 30 bucks. No brainer..I will use the mini in the future after I train on the firebird stratos..good luck and happy flying..
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old May 01, 2012, 02:30 PM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
You don't have to remove the pin to reattach the wing. Just check that the motor connections are still tight. Insert the front tab of the wing properly, and slide the back of the wing under the pin until it clicks in place. That's how the breakaway system works and thats what the raised notches are for. Took me a second to figure it out but has come in handy about 3 times after around 15 landings.
lotsaturbulence is offline Find More Posts by lotsaturbulence
Old May 01, 2012, 02:58 PM
Alabama
Joined Jun 2009
41 Posts
Maidened mine this weekend- Then my 9-year-old flew it (he has some experience with the Champ)- The Stratos is more of a hand full, as it's quite fast, and climbs more quickly than any of my ultra micros that I'm more accustomed to- In fact, I took my eyes off of this plane while it was quite high (and climbing), because of the sun, and lost sight of it for 30 seconds or so- Thank God for the 400 meter radio- It was dot when someone else in the parking lot spotted it- A lot of fun though- Nice take offs and landings- It's an all around smooth flying airplane, and I'm looking forward to flying it again ASAP-
PhantomRacer is offline Find More Posts by PhantomRacer
Old May 01, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
New Stratos

I dont post much here just read and learn. I went yesterday to buy another plane. I have owned a Champ for a few months now and just love it. I wanted to get something a little bigger to fly. I was looking at the Super Cub or Mini Super Cub when the hobby shop owner showed me the Firebird Stratos. He had not sold any and did not know what to expect with the plane. I thought the plane looked cool and the price was in the range so out the door I went . The assembly was simple and easy. The evening last night was perfect for flying. The Stratos flew perfect! The virtual instructor is very good. It will help you but will not take over the plane where you can not control it. I flew through two battery charges and never had a problem. It is a lot faster than the Champ but you can fly it slow and easy also. So far I think this plane is great. I think it would be better to learn with a Champ and then move up to this bigger bird it does handle different. Since this is a new plane I thought I would chime in and say that so far I love this plane and I hope I can still say the same after a lot of flying time.
natty317 is offline Find More Posts by natty317
Old May 03, 2012, 04:54 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
****WIND UPDATE!****

I tried to fly in a 11mph gusting wind yesterday. NO GO! DO NOT TRY TO FLY IN WINDS OVER 7 MPH!!!

The plane was like a kite and had no control in wind over 10mph. I used my digital annometer to track wind speeds and could not regain control in anything over 7mph.

I crashed hard once, breakaway wing worked well. No damages! I tried again and gave up.
So be forewarned about the wind!
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old May 04, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
Hey guys, completely new to RC flight.

I've looked around a bit and I think i'm interest in the Stratos or the Bixler. I did some searching for comparisons and I can't find much. If money wasn't a big decision between the two, is the Stratos the way to go? I like that it comes with everything from the get go, but I'm not sure I care too much for the transmitter, but I understand why you need it.
Quote is offline Find More Posts by Quote
Old May 04, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
This birdie looks absolutely horrendous, but since Quique has been working on it, I'm positive that it flies absolutely fabulous (like all his designs).

Generally speaking, I agree about the compromises/ design choices (twin brushed motor, no steeable nose wheel, price point, etc.). Not being DSM2 compatible is a bit baffling (but don't believe it would have added cost), but at least nobody will fly it without the implemented mixes, and start to bitch about flying characteristics.

Don't know whether this plane is a better alternative to the Champ. I'll probably still recommend that to all the menacing hoards of bystanders asking for beginners advice. Even though a gyro stabilized aileron version of the Champ would be THE choice for the novice...
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old May 04, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,889 Posts
Well, for me anyway, it really works well. I hadn't really ever flown an RC plane successfully before the Firebird Stratos and usually ended up giving up. I am looking forward to flying it again and have been really practicing on my sim with the Multiplex Easy Star EP. It is pretty close in flight characteristics to the FB Stratos as far as I can tell from the sim and comparing it to my experience with the FBS. Mr.Firemouth is correct, when I first flew my FBS, on about the third flight, the wind started to kick up and it made it difficult to return for a landing. Subsequently I crashed in nose first and did some minor damage to it and lost a wing skid. No biggie though. Can't wait to fly again this weekend. I would definately recommend this plane to a rank beginner, like me, although I have heli experience, the two are worlds apart in how they fly.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old May 07, 2012, 03:47 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,680 Posts
Hi folks, I was at SEFF and bought one of the first Firebird Stratos off the truck when it showed up at Hodges Hobby. I have been waiting for this model because it looks so cool and I wanted to see how well the design team pulled the project together.

I am very impressed with the model. A lot of thought was put into creating a great trainer that can get you started as a newb with some hand launching and let you graduate to landing gear and then high rates and finally shutting off the "virtual instructor".

I am quite happy that the airplane has a 2-cell LiPo battery, it is a perfect match for the model. While aggresive flying will yield about 10 minutes in the air, I can easily fly for about 15 minutes or more. Brushed motors are OK with me as the SuperCub I have is still going strong with the original brushed motor.

Yes, I am a slightly experienced pilot, no 3D under my belt, but OK flying some basic acrobatics with 4 channel airplanes.

My flight at SEFF was during a windy day, say 8 mph gusting 12 or so. The auto leveling of the wings really helped a lot to keep the Stratos straight and level. Flying into the wind at half throttle was very pretty, when turning downwind with high winds, you do need to increase throttle on the down wind leg and then decrease it again after turning back into the wind. The windy turn was very controlled when transitioning from downwind to upwind with the "virtual instructor" working. After doing some lazy circles and figure eights, I brought the Stratos in for a landing and just held it off the ground reducing throttle to a nice landing between gusts. Throttle control is the best way to land this bird.

On the next flight, I turned on high rates and tried some aerobatics. The Stratos is a hoot on high rates, multiple loops are possible and you can do very tight 45 degree to 90 degree wing over turns even without the full elevator mod.

Since then, I've taken it off a hard surface and flown around very well in light winds and find the Stratos to be a relaxing flyer with a lot of potential that can go from slow and easy to fast and spirited. All the while, the Stratos handles the wind and turns very well.

When I started with the SuperCub and its Nimh batteries, it was a real slug that could barely climb, could easily be put into a spiral dive and had a bad habit of getting stuck in a steep turn. Switching the SC to LiPoly changed it into a very nice 3 channel flyer that I still fly today.

The Stratos is far superior as a starting trainer than my SC was and it handles so well and looks so cool in the air I think many folks will want to learn to fly with it. I also have the HobbyZone micro Champ, and it flies very nice too, but if you have a full size field to fly in, I would choose the Stratos over the Champ as it handles the wind much better with the wing-leveling capabilities of the "virtual instructor".

I would still recommend a review of the right things to do guide regarding, wind, size of field, people around, etc. and some time on any sim to get the idea of how to fly a model toward you. Having an experienced flyer along to guide you wouldn't hurt either. All-in-all, the design works well and I wish I had one when I was just starting. I may have learned more quickly with less frustration.

Happy Flying! -- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member