HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Discussion
Bud-Fly-Ser II (recycle and have fun)

I built the "Bud-fly-ser" several weeks ago, it was my prototype, you can see my original build thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1582050

This is my second version "Bud-Fly-Ser II".

46 inch WS, 19 oz. AUW. Ailerons, elevator, no rudder.

emax CF2822, 1300 mah lipo, Apc 8x4 prop

I used two of the extra large 23 ounce drink cans for the main fuse. Cut the ends off using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. I cut round plugs of blue 1" thick blue foam board to fill up the inside of the cans to make them rigid. Coat the plugs with Gorilla glue white and slide them into the cans, this glue expands and makes for a very nice hard fuse. Last time I used Great Stuff foam, the foam board works better, and not as messy.

The bigger cans make for a nice roomy area to work in after you hollow out the fuselage. You can remove all but about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of the foam going around the outside edge, still leaves a very strong fuse. Leave the foam solid in the nose for about 4 inches for extra motor mount strength. Also leave extra foam in the rear for your tail section attachment.

Krylon spray can cap makes a perfect motor cowl. If our winds ever stop I have to do some toss tests to sort out the CG.

This version is 1.7 ounces heavier than the prototype, but I have an additional 55 sq inches of wing area, so I suppose it will be about a wash.

Also don't forget to run your antenna outside the fuse, gotta make sure them radio waves find the antenna!!

Hope to post a maiden video in a few days.

Bill
Bill Smudge is online now Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
BF2 ready to maiden..

Added ESC cooling scoop, a little paint and graphics. Dark red does not show well at all no contrast...

Hand tossed glide tests next, probably not today still have 15 plus mph winds..

Bill
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
641 Posts
Looking good,True aluminum skin a/c
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Bud-Fly-Ser II braves the wind and flys!!

No way I should be flying a maiden today, with the wind, but when you only have a about a buck in a plane it makes you braver...

She flys pretty darned good!! I'll be able to tell more when the wind is not so crazy. The elevator needs to be toned down a bit very sensitive, if you watch the video look at my 2nd landing attempt and see how fast this thing turns.

A really fun plane, tough on my heart though!!

Bill

Bud-fly-ser II maiden.wmv (3 min 10 sec)
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Bud-Fly-Ser II light winds today...

Hey guys,

Finally the winds abated here today, I got out and flew my Bud-Fly-Ser II for about 20 minutes today.

Bud-zooming.wmv (5 min 12 sec)

Nothing fancy here but the plane does a pretty good job, at least the cans didn't go to the landfill

Bill
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
921 Posts
Very cool Bill. I like you style.
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts