Fair Winds, Dave K. The world has lost a talented, master model builder-
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:03 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend and the loss to the modeling community.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:41 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Tuckerton Seaport 09-08-12

Thanks for all of the condolences about Dave Kammerer. He is a good friend and fellow model boater and we will miss him.

Our club numbers are dwindling. Members are getting older and either developing their own physical limitations or just not up to doing what they use to. Our club began in January of 1985 and has lasted nearly 27 years. At our high point we had 80+ members and we are down to about 15. We only have about 5 members that sail their models these days.

Today we were at Tuckerton Seaport in South Jersey. We have been coming here for a number of years. There were only three of us present today, besides myself, Larry and Charlie were there. Charlie brought his Lindberg PT and Larry brought four boats including one of Dave Kammerer's boat which was given to Larry.

Tuckerton Seaport web site
Tuckerton Seaport on Wikipedia

The lighthouse that you see in these pictures was removed from Tucker's Island that was destroyed by a storm in around 1920. What was the island is now underwater.

The day started out dreary and rainy as you can see in the pictures, but eventually cleared. Only four boats got wet today with six boats present. Larry's Miss Behave is currently not powered, his Crackerbox is signed by Rich Koll (of Legend Boats, MACK Products and Long Branch Hobbies), nice touch. Rich is also a member of our club. I'll post pictures of Dave K's cruiser shortly. Larry also had a sailboat with a copper deck, very cool, but I did not get any closeups of the deck. Charlies Lindberg PT boat and my SS Miss Belmar.

So here are a few pictures where we were.
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Last edited by ken_nj; Sep 09, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:59 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Pics of Larry's Cracker box and Charlie's PT.

I took 200 pictures today at Tuckerton. Not easy to narrow them down. I thought these were the best.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:05 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,369 Posts
Nice pictures and report. Keep doing what you are doing and more will come out and join your club. Ours is a great hobby.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:30 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Larry's T37 sailboat and Dave's cabin cruiser.

The wind was so strong all day long that it kept blowing & moving some of the boats on the tables. So this was a really good day for Larry's sailboat!

Larry's build log on his sailboat is here...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...california+kid

You can see pictures of the copper deck he had a coppersmith make up for him here... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=132

Dave built this cabin cruiser in the mid 1990's. He experimented with different building techniques. The hull on this boat is made from five flat sections of either plastic or fiberglass. It has the two sides, two bottoms, and transom. Each section needed to be the required contour. Somehow he joined the sections together, maybe on a jig. I don't think there are any bulkheads, Larry might know more about this. With the hull done, Dave added the interior spaces. The motor and electronics are located under the pilot house area and are not easily accessible.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:42 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Now being the resident amateur photographer, it's hard to take pictures like I do of my own model while running it. So here are a few shots of my boat from another time.

The Seaport has many things gong on. There all of these little buildings around the sailing basin that have different purposes. There are buildings for a gun club, crabbing, decoys, and all sorts of other things. Another area has a small boat building building, sawmill, wood storage. For the boat building they get kids to learn and do some of the work. There are all kinds of these small one man boat things guys would go out and hunt waterfowl, not sure what they would be called.

Since this was an antique boat show, there were also many mahogany style boats there for judging. And, there were also a lot of antique outboard motors. If requested I will post pictures of the antique boats and outboard motors.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:45 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Great pictures & report,
Thank You
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:57 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,006 Posts
Great cabin cruiser
Great location
You Gentleman are lucky.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,216 Posts
Great pictures. That "Wasting Time" boat got me thinking about a boat I once saw on Sanibel Island. It was called: "Knot on Call"
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
I love catchy names like that myself, they seem so appropriate.

Here is the rest of the boat...
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:22 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Leisure Village 10-06-12

Today we were at Leisure Village off of Route 70 in Lakewood NJ. We have been going here for must be about 10 years. Tom Hurley is our host, who hangs around with us. He and his wife Shirley are honorary members of our club. Here are a few pictures of the area, the lake we sail in and some of our boats on tables. We had a good turnout for a club of about 15 members.

Being that this was our last scheduled event of the year, and our friend Dave Kammerer would have been there with us anyway. I asked Dave's wife if I could pick up a few of Dave's boats to have them on display. She graciously said yes, and she even said she would be there with us. I put one boat in her car the day before and brought two of his boats with me.
Last edited by ken_nj; Oct 06, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:12 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Leisure Village... in the water

I was snapping away with my camera. Sometimes out of all of the pictures you take, you get a few great action shots. So those are here. Not sure why some pictures came out like it was a cloudy day as it was pretty sunny most of the time.

For the picture of my boat. I sat on a floating dock and headed the boat into the wind. There were some nice swells rolling just like you see in the ocean. I managed a few great shots. I have more posted than I should, but what the hell, some look pretty cool. I really like how my Miss Belmar looked in those swells. I have no coaming so I did take on some water as it was going over the bows.

I missed a few boats that were in the water. I was probably chatting away with someone.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:31 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Xlnt photos and report. Thanks!

Your Belmar does indeed look awesome on the water.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:34 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Dave's Nixe (group 1 pictures)

After we left, Dave's wife said I could take his boats home to take some pictures. These two boats will most likely be donated by his wife to the boaters museum in Point Pleasant as they are both Jersey related boats. Dave did not build model boats, he built miniatures of the real boat. Since in past threads there was great interest in these particular models, here are detail shots of Dave's work. Everything that you see here, he made. Hinges, locks, window slides, cleats, anchors, the figures, everything was hand made.

His wife gave me construction pictures of the black boat as people called it, the boats name is Nixe. I CAN POST THESE PICTURES IF THERE IS AN INTEREST.
Last edited by ken_nj; Oct 06, 2012 at 10:00 PM.