HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:40 PM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
631 Posts
Discussion
The most reliable 80mm Fan and motor combination

Im not looking for speed I have that with the BVM Electra, I am just looking for a good strong reliable combination that can produce at least 200 flights under normal conditions. The stock Eflite 70mm has been ultra reliable in my foamy Habu, and I want that same reliability in my Habu32. The brand new 80mm Eflite motor is making noises and it's not looking good. I have 10 flights on it. Im not trying to start a brand war. I would like to keep my stock Eflite 80 amp speed controls, as they are not a problem. I have seen what is advertised but I want real EDF guys and personal experiences not sales pitches...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is offline Find More Posts by P. Richards
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:48 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,250 Posts
Call horizon and get them to send u a new motor! You just got a bad one. I have tons of flights on mine and no issues. They will just swap it out and you won't have to drop any money for a new motor.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
939 Posts
I agree with that, call horizon hobby.
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,635 Posts
+2 give horizon a call. i have around 30 flights on my Habu stock power system now and its still like the day they sent it to me.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:54 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
891 Posts
If you want a minimal upgrade, switch to the 6s Mega motor. I've got 50 plus flights on mine and it is as smooth as ever.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:54 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
All four of us in my club have switched to the Stumax 80mm fan with the 6s motor setup, great fan, performance and jetlike sound upgrade.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:01 AM
Norway, Vestfold, Sandefjord
Joined Oct 2010
51 Posts
I just placed an order with Esprit for the 6s Stumax. Looking forward to fly the Habu again with the new fan/motor.
WF Pilot is offline Find More Posts by WF Pilot
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:24 AM
Willich / Germany
Joined Nov 1998
549 Posts
http://www.wemotec.com/jtl-shop/index.php?k=58

But they all mean an upgrade in power at the same time. Original fan is about 2.2 kg or 22 N of thrust.

Oliver
WeMoTec is offline Find More Posts by WeMoTec
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Yeah the Stumax is a little more powerful on 6s than stock, Ron101 did a test on this site (check his blog) and I believe it was around 20% more power. I had to shorten my flight timer from 6 to 5 minutes. Usually land with 25 to 30% left. We have never radared the speed difference but they seem a bit faster and climb much better, plus the sound of the fan is just fantastic, for a scale jet like the upcoming F-4 32 it would be a must have in my mind. For real high speeds I think you need the 8s setup or Tam's 8s setup is the high end right now I think. But for general sport flying the stock is good and the Stumax 6 is pretty wonderful. We don't know the lifespan of these motors though, they are too new. BTW, Esprit is great, you, they are really quick. It is going to be up to the Custom Office how soon you have it. The fan drops right in I had to round off the edge of the mounting rails a bit for the fillet on the mounting tabs and re-drill new screw holes but that was it, and you will have to solder your favorite connectors on the motor. The next cool upgrade you need for your Habu is Tamjets struts and front gear door, no more bending the stock wire legs back after every flight!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:48 PM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
631 Posts
Thanks Guys

I think the 6's StuMax set up will work great. I have two other Eflite motors and 3 fans, I will see how those hold up maybe I just got a bad one.

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is offline Find More Posts by P. Richards
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
A lot of times you can get a bad bearing and that makes a lot of noise. I don't know how easily you can replace them in that motor.