HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,626 Posts
Discussion
Using Virtualdub to record FPV - What settings do you use?

Today I had a great FPV flight surfing in some clouds, and my 7" display and raw display on laptop both looked fantastic live, however the recorded video was very over exposed with brightness. I am curious as to what settings everyone that uses virtualdub for recording uses?

My setup:

EasyCAP for capturing to laptop
Virtualdub recording divx codec at quality 8 with 2000kbps bitrate.

I am not using any filtering during live capture.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,626 Posts
Bixler FPV Cloud Surfing (6 min 27 sec)

Here is a video outlining what I was talking about with the brightness, on my display and even the laptop that recorded this display the brightness was totally fine, I could make out the wisps of the clouds on my display, on this its just an overexposed blob of light .
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:24 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
There is no setting in Virtualdub during live capture that would affect the exposure in
only the recorded file, but not what you see. Check for filters though. I
would suggest using much higher bitrate.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
There is no setting in Virtualdub during live capture that would affect the exposure in
only the recorded file, but not what you see. Check for filters though. I
would suggest using much higher bitrate.

ian
No filters used during recording, only thing I did post-recording was re-run it through virtualdub for deinterlacing, which has nothing to do with this .

What bitrate would you recommend?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
6-10Mbit for high motion/high detail FPV. I usually just use single pass quality setting
for live capture rather than mess with bitrate.

I don't know why your vid is so washed out. I just recorded some stuff off the TV using
EasyCap and Virtualdub, and playback looks just like the preview. I use the the XviD codec
built into ffdshow though. Maybe there's some quirk within the DiVX codec itself. Try recording
a short clip without compression.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,626 Posts
Quote:
6-10Mbit for high motion/high detail FPV. I usually just use single pass quality setting
for live capture rather than mess with bitrate.

I don't know why your vid is so washed out. I just recorded some stuff off the TV using
EasyCap and Virtualdub, and playback looks just like the preview. I use the the XviD codec
built into ffdshow though. Maybe there's some quirk within the DiVX codec itself. Try recording
a short clip without compression.

ian
I am using the official DivX codec, I also have ffdshow as well, though if I recall when I tested it I had lag issues, I will have to take a look again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
Try a short clip without compression first. That'll indicate whether it's a compression problem
or not. I've only had lag (dropped frames) if I didn't match the capture settings frame rate to the
source frame rate.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined May 2011
3 Posts
I just flew my ME 109 foamy with a nano setup. I used rylec I think, in the compression options. The raw footage looked good. I then compressed it using xvid codec and it looks bad.
plane captain is offline Find More Posts by plane captain
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane captain View Post
I just flew my ME 109 foamy with a nano setup. I used rylec I think, in the compression options. The raw footage looked good. I then compressed it using xvid codec and it looks bad.
Yeah I'm thinking its the divx codec thats making it look like crap, I need to experiment with other codecs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
My recommendation would be to uninstall native DiVX codec (it interferes with other codecs), and
try ffdshow again. Within ffdshow encoding options choose the XviD codec, with DiVX fourcc
(creating a XviD file that pretends to be DiVX) which just allows more devices to play
the file (DiVX and XviD are cross compatible). The XviD codec within ffdshow is
one of the fastest I've ever used, and at reasonably high bitrates, the quality is excellent.
I've used it for virtually all my FPV vids for the last four years, and many other
vids before that.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,626 Posts
Quote:
My recommendation would be to uninstall native DiVX codec (it interferes with other codecs), and
try ffdshow again. Within ffdshow encoding options choose the XviD codec, with DiVX fourcc
(creating a XviD file that pretends to be DiVX) which just allows more devices to play
the file (DiVX and XviD are cross compatible). The XviD codec within ffdshow is
one of the fastest I've ever used, and at reasonably high bitrates, the quality is excellent.
I've used it for virtually all my FPV vids for the last four years, and many other
vids before that.

ian
I just did some benchtests with ffdshow using my built in laptop cam but it's quality is so poor and fps is so low it's hard to tell. But I can tell the CPU load of ffdshow is much lower, so it does seem to be fast. LAter on I may hookup my FPV and do some benchtests to see what I like the best, but again indoor capture really isn't as telling as outdoor footage eiither, I will just have to aim it at some bright lights I guess .
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
Don't have an A/V output somewhere that you can use to capture a TV signal? I have
a splitter on top of my cable box, and a long cable I run to my laptop when I want to test
capture and streaming. Or even an output from a digital video camera.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,626 Posts
Quote:
Don't have an A/V output somewhere that you can use to capture a TV signal? I have
a splitter on top of my cable box, and a long cable I run to my laptop when I want to test
capture and streaming. Or even an output from a digital video camera.

ian
Nah I have nothing convenient lieing around with vid out to test, don't have a TV either :P
RCG Plus Member