HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Apprentice or a step up - how not to get bored...

Hey Group,

I have been flying planes on simulators (Microsoft and more recently Phoenix) on and off for about 10 years. I just recently purchased an UM PZ P-51. I've been having a lot of fun with it and feel confident flying around, landing having had no "uh oh" moments in about 30 or so flights (uh-oh now that I put that in writing I'm sure I'll have my first). I am a newbie and probably know just enough to be dangerous.

I'm looking to progress and have been researching trainers like the Super Cub and Apprentice. I like the Apprentice due to the extra maneuvers that are available once you get comfortable with basic flight. My concern is that I'll get bored with it quickly and should therefore purchase something more challenging.

Would I be better off purchasing something slightly more challenging like a T-28 or a Corsair or are they too advanced for someone who is really just starting out with non-simulator flight? The FMS T-28 looks really awesome, but is it too advanced for a first timer?

Any other suggestions for good quality (somewhat beginner) plane which requires minimum assembly? I have the dx6i Tx and usually fly at a large soccer park or a school near where I live...so I have plenty of room.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Niets is offline Find More Posts by Niets
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
I'd say you're ready for just about ready any plane...If it's a BEAST style 3D just turn the rates way down.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,791 Posts
I have the Apprentice (my 1st plane) and the PZ Corsair(my 2nd). The Corsair is almost as easy to fly as the Apprentice. The only differences being that it's a taildragger, and the colors and size mean it can become just a black sillhouette quickly on an overcast day, so you better either have good memory as to which way you're flying all the time, or be able to quickly figure out which way it's pointing if what you input in the tx doesn't exactly match what you see the sillhouette doing. Or you can do some repainting, like many have. Of course it's more maneuverable too.

I still enjoy doing touch and go's with the Apprentice. When your landings start getting shaky, it's always good to go back to basics and practice, practice, practice. Also, I've been at the field several times and people have shown up with zero sim or flight experience with a PZ BF-109 or worse, and I throw them on the buddy box with the Apprentice so they understand why that's not a good idea, and save them a plane. So I still enjoy the Apprentice.

I've seen one guy with a FMS T-28, and he had nothing but trouble, mostly with the landing gear. With the FMS stuff, you can usually have to do some extra work and invest some extra money (Like adding a UBEC or possibly even replace the ESC, like in early FMS Mustangs, where the got 50 amp ESC's, and the system pulls over 60 amps. I read several cases where the smoke came out of the esc...)

Some complain that E-Flite and PZ stuff is too expensive, but you get what you pay for, and the Apprentice and Corsair have never let me down. I let them down any time I crashed.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:01 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
If you can handle that squirrelly little bugger - the UM P-51, then you can make the jump to the bigger T-28.

The Parkzone T-28 is awesome! But after weighing-up options, I went with the Dynam T-28. Not only is it big (approx. 51") but it is nimble, hard to stall and it looks fantastic on the runway, or in the sky.

The price is more than reasonable at Nitroplanes. (On sale for just $105.48 ARF)
For that, you get the usual 4-channels, PLUS lights, retractable gear (installed) and the hardware for some very effective flaps.(BYOS - bring your own servos. ha ha!)

The plane is no speed demon, but a bigger lipo (2,650 for me) and a 2-blade prop makes it really get up and go!

Here's the thread: Lots of great guys here.

It would be my choice if I had your flying experience thus far.
Mac

MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Dec 2006
115 Posts
PZ T-28 will be easier to fly than what you have now.
tdogg77 is offline Find More Posts by tdogg77
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Thanks to all for the advice! I'm about to pull the trigger on a Dynam T-28.
Niets is offline Find More Posts by Niets