HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:39 PM
Las Cruces, NM
Joined May 2007
126 Posts
Discussion
What do you use to recharge your small 4.8v battery packs?

Most manufacturers claim that overcharging is safe at very low currents, below 0.1 C (where C is the current equivalent to the capacity of the battery divided by one hour).
So my 4xAAA 750 mAh battery pack should use a charger that tickle charges at less than 75 mA.

I am looking for a suitable charger for my little 4xAAA 750 mAh battery pack.
But 4.8v Chargers less than 1000 mA are hard to find.

Thanks.
wolfv is offline Find More Posts by wolfv
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:07 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfv View Post
Most manufacturers claim that overcharging is safe at very low currents, below 0.1 C (where C is the current equivalent to the capacity of the battery divided by one hour).
So my 4xAAA 750 mAh battery pack should use a charger that tickle charges at less than 75 mA.

I am looking for a suitable charger for my little 4xAAA 750 mAh battery pack.
But 4.8v Chargers less than 1000 mA are hard to find.

Thanks.
I use Wall warts that came with the tranny. Else my multi chemistry smart chargers (lipo,life,nimh,nicad etc). If you dont have a smart charger you should get one. You can use them to test your battery with the cycle mode.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,084 Posts
I can't imagine trickle charging everything.
Hard to beat the Turnigy Accucel 6 for value and ease of use. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=18066
I charge my 700-750mAh AAA packs at 1C and generally always keep an eye on how much
juice goes in, so I don't get bit by a false peak.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:19 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,877 Posts
Agreed with Ian. It's a great charger. I have a couple of them.

If you are worried about discharge over time of NIMH, check out Sanyo Eneloop cells. Their rate of discharge over time is about 15% per year vs about 15% per week of standard NIMH cells. Charge your planes and even if you don't fly for a month or 2 your batteries will be fully charged and ready to go.

Andrew
the_canuck is online now Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
I want it to go fast...
San Diego
Joined Sep 2006
797 Posts
+1 on the eneloop cells
c0dem0nkey is offline Find More Posts by c0dem0nkey
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
I just picked up Hitec's new 4 channel charger, with built in AC/DC power supplies. No more worries!!! This thing is slick, the last charger I should ever need...

Look around, I got mine under $200.

http://servocity.com/html/hitec_x4_ac_plus_charger.html
Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:42 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Hard to beat the Turnigy Accucel 6 for value and ease of use. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=18066

ian
This looks like a great charger for the price, Ian. Does it come with standard 4.8V plugs (Hitec, JR, etc) in the bundle, or just plugs for JST-XH as shown in the picture?

I can always re-wire the plugs, but it would be nice if that output plug was included.....
Mike Furcolow is online now Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:45 PM
I want to believe
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2002
945 Posts
Here's what I like. Powered either from the wall or the car, and charges/cycles every chemistry. And it's cheap!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
mdine1us is offline Find More Posts by mdine1us
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,084 Posts
I don't recall what it came with. My LHS sells these multi-output charging harnesses
that look like this.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6697
with 5 or 8 outputs. I've got one for all my chargers, so I can handle just about any battery
type.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:53 PM
Las Cruces, NM
Joined May 2007
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I can't imagine trickle charging everything.
I charge my 700-750mAh AAA packs at 1C and generally always keep an eye on how much
juice goes in, so I don't get bit by a false peak.

ian
Thanks for the quick response. The specs on the Turnigy Accucel 6 say "Charge Current Range: .1~6.0A". So the lowest setting is 1000 mA. Do you charge at 1000 mA and then the charger automatically shuts off? I just want to understand before I buy.

Thanks.
wolfv is offline Find More Posts by wolfv
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:54 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,084 Posts
There's a decimal point in front of the 1.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:54 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Prone View Post
I just picked up Hitec's new 4 channel charger, with built in AC/DC power supplies. No more worries!!! This thing is slick, the last charger I should ever need...

Look around, I got mine under $200.

http://servocity.com/html/hitec_x4_ac_plus_charger.html
Wow! Charger heaven.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:04 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,084 Posts
That Hitec charger is pretty beastly. I like the ability to power off DC or AC.
Only limitation I see is max charge rate of 6A. I've got a Thunder Power charger
(about same size as the little Turnigy) for my Lipo's that'll charge at up to 10A (which it
manages with no fan).

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:59 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdine1us View Post
Here's what I like. Powered either from the wall or the car, and charges/cycles every chemistry. And it's cheap!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
Mine looks just like that Marty but from a different shop, must be brothers from different mothers.

wolfv

All these smart chargers have an auto mode so its almost fool proof. You just have to make sure you use the right plug, then you set the right chemistry and charge rate, then hit start/go.

The charger will sense the number of cells and start counting mah input and time. It'll stop when the pack is full. It'll tell you how long it took, mah in and the final voltage.

Depending on the Chemistry, the charger looks for voltage, current draw then shut down. Most have a time limit so if the battery is not charged after 2 or 3 hours it shuts down. Many have a temp probe and if the temp of the pack gets too hot it shuts down.

Mine has a usb lead so I can dump the charge info on my laptop and track the history of a pack. I dont have time to do this so I dont.

But Like I said before, the big advantage of a smart charger is you can cycle the pack to find out if it still puts out what it says. For example if you have a 750 mah pack, two years from now you can cycle the pack and see if it still puts out 750 mah. If its only putting out 300 mah then the pack us toast.

What plane are you using the battery in? These smart chargers are over kill if you're just flying a zagi on a small bluff.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:02 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfv View Post
Thanks for the quick response. The specs on the Turnigy Accucel 6 say "Charge Current Range: .1~6.0A". So the lowest setting is 1000 mA. Do you charge at 1000 mA and then the charger automatically shuts off? I just want to understand before I buy.

Thanks.
You're reading it wrong. The rate is 0.1 to 6.0A. That means 100mA at the low end. I usually won't go above 1.0A with any kind of AA or AAA battery packs, since the cells can get very warm while charging. Size "A" and bigger diameter cells don't have that problem. I just set the charge rate to equal the battery capacity. i.e. a 300mAh pack gets charged at 0.3A, a 700mAh pack gets charged at 0.7A, etc. Again, I don't ever go above 1.0A for the bigger packs.

And yes, you just put it on charge and walk away. It will automatically stop charging when it's full. The charger will still display the amount of mAh's put into the pack until you unplug it, so you can read how much of a charge that the pack took.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member