HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Would you like a visual variomenter added to the Altitude Ladder?
Yes!!! 11 100.00%
Might be nice. 0 0%
No Thanks / Dont Care 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:30 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Sep 2006
50 Posts
Idea
Request: Visual Variometer on Altitude Ladder

I would like to request a visual variometer (aka VSI) be added to the Altitude ladder on the OSD Pro.

This feature is available on other OSD systems as well as most modern full-size aircraft, and I think it would greatly improve the OSD Pro.

While flying, it is hard to quickly determine if a plane/heli/quad is climbing or losing altitude. A visual bar/indicator that slides up and down the Altitude ladder would greatly improve the speed at which FPV pilots can assess a plane's rate of climb or decent vs the numeric "Cbr"

Added a poll to assess other user's desire for this feature.
MikeD096 is offline Find More Posts by MikeD096
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi Mike, I definitely want it! It's on our feature list, but has been there for too long.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:08 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Sep 2006
50 Posts
I assume you mean the "to-do" feature list? Any idea when EagleTree is looking to implement the visual variometer?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:10 AM
QLD Australia
Joined Oct 2009
268 Posts
Linking the Vario to the GPS for TE, would be nice too.
As the GPS is easier to mount on/in an aircraft than a P-tube and lines.
minirotor is online now Find More Posts by minirotor
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
That's one of the high priority items on the list, so I hope we get to it in early spring. What do you want to see? Do you want a proportional indicator, or simply an arrow? Any suggestions on what this should look like would be appreciated (I have some ideas myself also).
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Feb 2007
92 Posts
Definetly Proportional, this way you can link the Return to Home with an exact rate of decent!
Very useful if implemented!

Felipe
Flying Tivo is offline Find More Posts by Flying Tivo
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Thanks. Ideas on the visual appearance of the indicator are appreciated!
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:49 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Sep 2006
50 Posts
Sorry for the delay BillPa. Working 60 hrs a week and flying when I can.

I wanted to do 1-2 mock ups of what I had in mind, but with all the free time I have, it hasn't gotten done. Basically, I was thinking a small indicator, such as a > that slides up/down along the inside of the ladder, progressively. Connected to the > at the tip, would be a line that is also attached to the center, or zero point. This design mirrors another products indicator, so if that is not doable, then an alternate might be a variable width bar that grows from center, up and out. Think an hourglass, cut in half vertically. At the center, it would be small and thin. As the vertical speed increases, the bar grows up or down, and also widens. Maybe even just a simple vertical line would work.

I also thought about a flight path indicator in the center, as seen in aircraft HUD systems. But that might be too much calculation load, and/or too much clutter on the OSD.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
That's one of the high priority items on the list, so I hope we get to it in early spring. What do you want to see? Do you want a proportional indicator, or simply an arrow? Any suggestions on what this should look like would be appreciated (I have some ideas myself also).
My vote is Proportional.

Hector
texasdrifters is offline Find More Posts by texasdrifters
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Mike/Hector, thanks. We'll get this done.
Site Sponsor