Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:12 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Discussion
World's most famous atheist: "I can't be sure God doesn't exist... "

Quote:
There was surprise when Prof Dawkins acknowledged that he was less than 100 per cent certain of his conviction that there is no creator.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...not-exist.html
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:19 AM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
So what? Isn't it good to question your beliefs once in a while? To know that one person can't have it ALL figured out? Maybe if religious people second guessed themselves once in a while the world would be a better place. Maybe the Muslims who are rioting over the Koran burning would think 2X before killing someone. Or crusades wouldn't have happened, or how ever many attrocities were caused by religion.

I'm guessing this is a pro religion/anti atheist thread? Good luck, Religion is for the weak minded.
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:33 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpearl View Post
So what? Isn't it good to question your beliefs once in a while? To know that one person can't have it ALL figured out? Maybe if religious people second guessed themselves once in a while the world would be a better place. Maybe the Muslims who are rioting over the Koran burning would think 2X before killing someone. Or crusades wouldn't have happened, or how ever many attrocities were caused by religion.

I'm guessing this is a pro religion/anti atheist thread? Good luck, Religion is for the weak minded.
Just for you own understanding maybe you should look up the Battle of Tours and Charles "the Hammer" Martel and understand when and why that Battle was fought. It is also called the Battle of Poitiers and will perhaps lend some understaing of what the desires of the Muslim World was.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:41 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:

Did someone pee in your cereal this morning? Instead of discussing an issue you jump head long into attacks. It doesn't really help you get your point across.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:50 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,160 Posts
I think when one considers both possibilities, it is unreasonable to dismiss religion outright. Those that refuse to give any credence to a creator; consider some that may be far their intellectual superior, weak minded; and rest all there faith on scientific theory, may be far more weak minded than those they attempt to insult.

Good to see Dawkins address this, smarter than I thought he was.

Cheers,
Carey.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamnpacktape View Post
I think when one considers both possibilities, it is unreasonable to dismiss religion outright. Those that refuse to give any credence to a creator; consider some that may be far their intellectual superior, weak minded; and rest all there faith on scientific theory, may be far more weak minded than those they attempt to insult.

Good to see Dawkins address this, smarter than I thought he was.

Cheers,
Carey.
There is a difference between believing there could be a creator and believing the words written 2000 years ago by a MAN! Personally I'm more agnostic then atheist but I go back and forth because I can think and I'm not tied to ridiculous belief that I have no way of proving. Science is the enemy of religion, just ask Rick Santorum. There is no middle ground for free thinkers. They are the devil!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
If one doubts the existence of "God," one is NOT an atheist; and atheist is one who denies the existence of "God." That's why I consider myself an agnostic, because:

(1) I do doubt the existence of "God."

(2) I'm not arrogant enough to be sure.

(3) I hope there isn't a "God," or at least that if there is, it bears no resemblance to the murderous, vindictive -hole of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Buddha is more my style, but then he claimed he wasn't a god, and begged his followers to not consider him such. (In vain, as it turned out.)
Bob HSG is online now Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:01 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG View Post
If one doubts the existence of "God," one is NOT an atheist; and atheist is one who denies the existence of "God." That's why I consider myself an agnostic, because:

(3) I hope there isn't a "God," or at least that if there is, it bears no resemblance to the murderous, vindictive -hole of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Buddha is more my style, but then he claimed he wasn't a god, and begged his followers to not consider him such. (In vain, as it turned out.)
I do not believe that Jews and Christians worship the same God as Muslims portray.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:06 AM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
I do not believe that Jews and Christians worship the same God as Muslims portray.
Muslims claim to worship "The God of Abraham." What do you know that they don't?
Bob HSG is online now Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:07 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Abrahamic_religions
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Swiiing and a miss
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:

I'm 100% with you on all of this, it's exactly how I feel. The thing about many religious people is they are arrogant enough to be sure even though they don't have a clue. That's my problem..
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:27 AM
texas
Joined Oct 2003
130 Posts
Quote:
Muslims claim to worship "The God of Abraham." What do you know that they don't?

Remember that islam treats Christ as a prophet. For us, He is God in the Flesh. Without Him, we don't get an eternity full of heaven.

"Muslims believe that Muhammad is the final messenger, superior to all previous prophets, the ultimate. Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God, which as the Jews accused of old, makes Him equal to God. He is accepted as the Second Person of the Trinity, God Himself come to earth in the flesh."
http://www.allaboutreligion.org/isla...ianity-faq.htm
steelfaith1 is offline Find More Posts by steelfaith1
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:29 AM
texas
Joined Oct 2003
130 Posts
Quote:

Your post reminded me of a verse from Paul who was writing to the Corinthians....

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
steelfaith1 is offline Find More Posts by steelfaith1
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:35 AM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
You believe that Christ is God, then Jews don't worship the same God as you portray.

Muslims and Jews however, believe in the same monotheistic God. The difference is in the prophets.

Dusty
Dusty1000 is online now Find More Posts by Dusty1000