SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:29 AM
Joined Oct 2004
550 Posts
Looks good to go this morning here in N. Mich.
Wind 1mph and no rain.
olddog is offline Find More Posts by olddog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Same here in SC. Got to go yesterday. First flight with CY and everyone was right. Its a blast to fly. Being new I just tried to stick with some easy stuff. Rudder turns, harriers, landings, take offs. Only have 4 batteries so the day didn't last long. Got a little brave and did go inverted a few times. Came home with only minor damage to the nose on both planes.

To
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Oct 2004
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Same here in SC. Got to go yesterday. First flight with CY and everyone was right. Its a blast to fly. Being new I just tried to stick with some easy stuff. Rudder turns, harriers, landings, take offs. Only have 4 batteries so the day didn't last long. Got a little brave and did go inverted a few times. Came home with only minor damage to the nose on both planes.

To
I would say if you are a new pilot you done good to do harriers and inverted flights.
We have rain here this morning so no flying for me.
OD
olddog is offline Find More Posts by olddog
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:36 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
I've spent many many hours on the sim. Looks like the weather is gonna be great again today. My problem is lack of batteries. Ordered more. Yesterday was a fun day. Of course I hit a few things. Lamp pole, tree, the ground. These are tough little birds. When I hit the lamp pole the plane did a 360 and kept on flying. Scared me. Wish I'd got that on video. It looked like a car spinning out.

Tom
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:57 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Careful planes can hydroplane.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Georgia here... zero wind, clear skies yesterday and evening, about the same forecast all week. Looks like a beautiful week of flying, though a little hot already (may touch 90 today).
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Just got home. Went through all my batteries again. Well all 5 of them. Got more on the way. They had the gate to the lower soccer fields shut so I had to go back to the one on top of the hill. Wind is always stronger up there. Didn't care, I wasn't gonna let a little wind stop me. It was probably gusting 15 or better. The CY didn't care it just wanted to fly and so did I. Also took the scratch built yak. But nothing compares to the CY. Its just too much fun. I think the wind made for a better day of flying. It was cool watching the plane fly sideways then stop and hang there. My last landing of the day was just a stiraght down harrier. It just sat down oh so soft. Me be happy.

Tom
Old May 01, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr@sh View Post
Wow, if it's 320mph winds ,I'm greasing my wheels and booking a flight immediately
OOPS! Guess my trusty spell checker had no idea what I wanted to say!

We had a wonderful day on Sunday, lots of folks at the field and i flew 9 batteries through my MX2, Extra, and Yak. The MX2 is officially retired now, it is donating it's organs to a new Edge 540!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old May 01, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Managed to get in some practice today with the crack yak and the edge 540. A little windy but what can ya do? Not fly? We all know a little wind is not going to stop us. We'll try it just to see if its too windy. Could be blowing 40 mph but we say to our self maybe its not that bad. Well today wasn't that windy but still a good challenge. Had fun and brought the planes home in one piece.

Tom
Old May 02, 2012, 12:57 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
42F today. Getting cooler during the weekend according to forecast. It"s almost always windy. It was perfectly calm during the weekend, when i could not fly because of work.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old May 02, 2012, 01:00 AM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
OOPS! Guess my trusty spell checker had no idea what I wanted to say!

We had a wonderful day on Sunday, lots of folks at the field and i flew 9 batteries through my MX2, Extra, and Yak. The MX2 is officially retired now, it is donating it's organs to a new Edge 540!
Don
Can I safely say they were all Extreme flight models ........ pretty much all 3 can use the same lipo .I used the new 4s 65-95 burst and they fly a whole lot faster . A regular 3S 2200mah 25c can fly the model but what a difference with higher end lipo's. 9 flights I'd say is a good day of flying for sure.
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old May 02, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Cr@sh - Actually they all use different batteries. The EF Yak is a 47.5 WS and flies great on a medium sized 3s. The MX2, retired now - organ donor, used 4s, and the 3DHS Extra uses 5s. Mixed bag, huh? I also have several other planes that use the same medium sized 3s batteries. Oh, the edge 540 is a GP 49" WS that is receiving the MX2's organs. I figure if there was enough power for a 1 lb heavier and 6" longer WS, this Edge will haul.
Don
Old May 02, 2012, 06:21 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,714 Posts
Sounds like a better deal than I use. I just stick with a 4s 2650 in all 3 models. 5 min flights is my usual practice but mostly under throttle management.
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old May 02, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Most of mine work out to about 5:30 per plane. After a few flights and checking batteries I have adjusted up or down by about 30 seconds. My DX8 allows me to set a timer for each plane.
Don
Old May 02, 2012, 10:02 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
high of 79 today, barely any wind ( some strong gust from time to time )
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC