SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:22 AM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
407 Posts
Discussion
Altitude Limiting Switches

Who decides what can be used in an AMA contest?
I just looked at this one and am thinking about getting one because it has the altimeter recording in one unit. Anyone tried one yet?
http://www.espritmodel.com/aerobtec-...3-fai-f5j.aspx
rc4fun is offline Find More Posts by rc4fun
Last edited by rc4fun; Feb 24, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:36 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun View Post
Who decides what can be used in an AMA contest?
I just looked at this one and am thinking about getting one because it has the altimeter recording in one unit. Anyone tried one yet?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1599973
I could not make out your link, but I published a report on several of the available switches including the CAM, the #2 RC Basic, the Altis 3 and the MultiLog. It is attached below.

Three of these devices allow for both logging and altitude switching -- the #2 RC Basic, the Altis 3 and the Multilog. Two, the #2 RC Basic and the Altis 3 will also function as ALES and F5J allowable switches -- they will run you a little in excess of $100. The MultiLog (available from Barry Kennedy) is not F5J capable, but WILL log and switch simultaneously. I think he is selling these for around $50 and I flew at one contest using them. It appears to be a good value. (BTW some of my contacts in Europe are showing a more sophisticated version of the MultiLog that is a logger/switch that will be both ALES and F5J capable.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:41 PM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
407 Posts
Sorry Don I pasted the wrong link...
Now that I look at your current list from above I see that you have Info on the one I questioned. I must have looked at an older version of your file.
Is the Altis 3 OK to use for AMA contests, say at the NATs?

rc4fun is offline Find More Posts by rc4fun
Last edited by rc4fun; Feb 24, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:57 PM
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun View Post
Sorry Don I pasted the wrong link...
Now that I look at your current list from above I see that you have Info on the one I questioned. I must have looked at an older version of your file.
Is the Altis 3 OK to use for AMA contests, say at the NATs?

Each of the devices meets a particular set of needs very well. For someone who wants to comply with ALES rules, to log flights and to occasionally fly F5J, the Altis 3 is top notch.

Happy Landings,

Don
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:55 PM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,506 Posts
I have not tested a Altis 3 as of yet, so until I test one I would not allow it at Nats at this time.

Ed Franz
2012 Electric Nats event Director
Ed Franz is offline Find More Posts by Ed Franz
Last edited by Ed Franz; Feb 24, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:17 PM
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Franz View Post
I have not tested a Altis 3 as of yet, so until I test one I would not allow it at Nats at this time.

Ed Franz
Electric Nats event Director
Would you like me to furnish some so you can test them? This is a good time to get them out without conflicting with their use in "Contest Kits".

Happy Landings,

Don

BTW: I have tested several of these units against a ZLOG that I have used as a reference to test the CAM, the #2 RC Basic and Barry's original Shread Units. (The ZLOG is especially useful because it can be connected to the output of the device being tested and it will not only provide an altitude log, but it will mark the moment when the device cut the motor.). The Altis V3 was fully compliant and consistent relative to the CAM, the #2 RC Basic and my original ZLOG reference. If weather is a consideration for your review, my doctor released me yesterday to get out and fly and I can now get out and perform any test protocol that you might require.
Last edited by dharban; Feb 24, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:10 PM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharban View Post
Would you like me to furnish some so you can test them? This is a good time to get them out without conflicting with their use in "Contest Kits".

Happy Landings,

Don

BTW: I have tested several of these units against a ZLOG that I have used as a reference to test the CAM, the #2 RC Basic and Barry's original Shread Units. (The ZLOG is especially useful because it can be connected to the output of the device being tested and it will not only provide an altitude log, but it will mark the moment when the device cut the motor.). The Altis V3 was fully compliant and consistent relative to the CAM, the #2 RC Basic and my original ZLOG reference. If weather is a consideration for your review, my doctor released me yesterday to get out and fly and I can now get out and perform any test protocol that you might require.
Thank you Don, that is very kind of you. Yes, I would like to test one. I'm sure there will be no issues with the unit, but would like to test one just the same.

If you would, I would like you to test one or more and send me that data from your test so we can have a sample from more that one unit to check on consistency between units in different locations. Maybe you could get Dave R. to help as well.

Ed
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,506 Posts
Quote:

Happy Landings,

Don

Thank you Don, that is very kind of you. Yes, I would like to test one. I'm sure there will be no issues with the unit, but would like to test one just the same.

If you would, I would like you to test one or more and send me that data from your test so we can have a sample from more that one unit to check on consistency between units in different locations. Maybe you could get Dave R. to help as well.

Ed
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:20 PM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,506 Posts
Oops, sorry for the double post.

Ed
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:52 PM
W0X0F
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2005
1,003 Posts
Don has a very good review of the ALES units that are currently available. But there is one option that not all of them have that I think is very important. That is to be ability to restart your motor. If I get downwind or in any situation that I'm not able to return to the field I would much rather get a zero flight and have my ALES ship back on the field in one piece.
IBWALT is offline Find More Posts by IBWALT
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:10 PM
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWALT View Post
Don has a very good review of the ALES units that are currently available. But there is one option that not all of them have that I think is very important. That is to be ability to restart your motor. If I get downwind or in any situation that I'm not able to return to the field I would much rather get a zero flight and have my ALES ship back on the field in one piece.
Walt,

I believe that all four of the units that I have either allow restarts or can be configured to facilitate restarts. Two of the units (the #2 RC Basic and the Altis v3) can be configured with easily installed and verified firmware to NOT ALLOW restarts as required by F5J rules.

One concern I have over all of the units except the CAM is that they WILL restart automatically unless you turn the power off after th e motor shuts off. The CAM requires that your throttle control be rearmed before the motor restart. I have communicated my concern to the guys that furnish the three units that automatically restart and have been assured that this can be changed with simple firmware fixes. While this may boil down to a "pilot preference" thing, it will definitely cause problems if you get into a switch "loaner" situation.

Happy Landings,

Don

BTW: I promise to not poke Gordy about your views on allowing "salvation" restarts. And I will say a prayer for your mortal soul
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:48 PM
W0X0F
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2005
1,003 Posts
Quote:
BTW: I promise to not poke Gordy about your views on allowing "salvation" restarts. And I will say a prayer for your mortal soul
Thanks Don, that way I will not have to listen to or read a sermon from Gordy.
IBWALT is offline Find More Posts by IBWALT
Old May 01, 2012, 08:36 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,818 Posts
Winged Shadow Systems has released a new altitude limiter called the Sky Limit.

http://www.wingedshadow.com/skylimit.html

It looks like it would be a good choice vrs the CAM units.

Has anyone tested one yet?

Larry
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old May 01, 2012, 08:55 PM
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
Winged Shadow Systems has released a new altitude limiter called the Sky Limit.

http://www.wingedshadow.com/skylimit.html

It looks like it would be a good choice vrs the CAM units.

Has anyone tested one yet?

Larry
I have tested one and will have a report out in a few days. It is a very nice unit.

Happy Landings

Don
Old May 01, 2012, 09:21 PM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
963 Posts
Quote:
I could not make out your link, but I published a report on several of the available switches including the CAM, the #2 RC Basic, the Altis 3 and the MultiLog. It is attached below.

Three of these devices allow for both logging and altitude switching -- the #2 RC Basic, the Altis 3 and the Multilog. Two, the #2 RC Basic and the Altis 3 will also function as ALES and F5J allowable switches -- they will run you a little in excess of $100. The MultiLog (available from Barry Kennedy) is not F5J capable, but WILL log and switch simultaneously. I think he is selling these for around $50 and I flew at one contest using them. It appears to be a good value. (BTW some of my contacts in Europe are showing a more sophisticated version of the MultiLog that is a logger/switch that will be both ALES and F5J capable.

Happy Landings,

Don
Hi Don
Do you think the producers really care to develop our altimeters to predict the motor cut off for us to reach selected starting height, eg 200 meters?
I suspect (perhaps) they put the responsibility on us pilots to instead set a lower starting height to be on the safe side?
I read your test of the Altis v3 where you found that starting heights were higher than the set starting height by more than 10%. Even here in Sweden, a number of pilots share the same experience, although we have only had time to test the Altis v3 a few days.
I find (belive) RC Altimeter # 2 BASIC is more accurate in this regard?
Do not know if this is the right forum to address this issue. Maybe I would rather ask my questions directly to Aerobtec, but I think it's good transparency for all to share experiences.

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member