HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:12 AM
Joined Aug 2003
15 Posts
Discussion
Control horns?

Sorry for the newbie question. I've been out of the hobby for a few years, and I need a new control horn for my slow stick. I'm sure most of you know this, but it's the kind that fits through a slot in the elevator and has the plastic backing plate that the control horn fits in to. I always lose that backing plate, and once I get a replacement I'll secure it to the control surface.

I know I can just buy the GWS "plastic parts frame A", but I was just wondering if there were any standards for the sizing of those control horns. Is there something here on hobbyking I can buy that will fit?

Thanks,
Korey
korey99 is offline Find More Posts by korey99
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:33 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,383 Posts
Here you go.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8418
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:22 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
You could try to cut a piece of 1/16" plywood in the same size as the rudder horn instead, should be longer to insert thru the foam with 1/8" left at least, be sure to drill out a hole on this portion to fit a short piece of thinner tooth pick, apply epoxy to fix them all on elevator. And you make it.

Alternatively, you should have the white parts tree left, the kit came with such parts tree that included many pieces of control horns and the back plates, just pull off one for the elevator.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
If you take a close look at the backplate the flanges are angled so they will hold better installed one way than the reverse.

I epoxy my horns in and sometimes leave off the backplate on ailerons as the wing is thicker replacing it with a dab of epoxy.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Aug 2003
15 Posts
Thanks again! The last time I flew it (quite a while ago), I was missing that retainer altogether. That explains the unpredictable flight patterns, and the also exposes my lack of a pre-flight checklist!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I also epoxy in my horns and don't use the backing plates.
I also swab a bit of epoxy where the backing plate would go.
I find that when you press the backing plate to lock on, it kinda compresses and damages the foam a bit, thus leaving that area weak.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:09 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
If the length of the foot end on the control horn , GWS stock one, is long enough to get through the thickness of rudder or elevator, I'd like to put a little epoxy by a tooth pick to the protruded end first, then have the backing plate locked on it tightly. This way the backing plate will press the epoxy into the hole that the horn end got through, and make all of them firmly fixed in place.
Chen
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Aug 2003
15 Posts
I thought the point of the stock control horn design was to be a weak link in case of a crash, protecting the control surfaces from damage. Maybe I just assumed that though.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:09 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
It'd be a big problem if the control horns could not stay firmly on control surfaces after crashes. So probably you have to apply glue or epoxy at the point on control surface where you insert the control horn into. I applied this way on all of my foamy planes and it worked great for my so far.
Chen