HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:02 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
I bought limit switches and an e-stop in a kit from Ebay for like $13. I haven't installed them yet
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taget View Post
Who else is using LinuxCNC(emc2)? I am a big fan of open source software. I am really glad i found this thread, as i had never come across this machine until then.
Cheers
Great work Chris, and you are coming along very quickly!

I use Linux normally, but haven't made the transition to that in CNC -- I've been using TurboCNC -- which is open source DOS based Pascal.

I am interested in LinuxCNC though. How well is it working for you?
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thanks Vtdiy, I seem to learn a little more each night. LinuxCNC has been great, and for an open source project the documentation is very thorough. I imagine that if i had prior experience in CNC that my progress would be slightly less frustrating but i am still enjoying this and i believe i finally have all my settings correct, now its time for calibration! I already have my first project laid out and converted to Gcode (mini polaris) can't wait.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
I also am just getting started out. I was going to get the Bluemaxx, but I found a used Fireball V90 for less and jumped on it. I am starting with LinuxCNC, because it's free. But, it's been a lot of work. My computer needed a lot of tweaking to get Linux and Linux CNC working, but it's finally running smoothly. I have gotten as far as setting up StepConf, but I haven't run anything yet. I think I am going to mount the limit switches first, before mounting the spindle.

I also installed on the Linux box Inkscape and Gcodetools for Inkscape, that's for doing simple parts, all on the same machine. I'm tinkering with other freeware programs on our family Window 7 machine for design. I've been avoiding paying for any software, it's all very expensive! Fortunately, I figured out Linux enough to get it running, otherwise I'd have carved out the $150-175 for Mach3.
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
I had to come home for a few minutes to meet a plumber, so I had a little time to mount the dremel and do a test run of the LinuxCNC test pattern into some scrap foam....
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:11 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
have you guys made your own home-made vacuum tables for the pieces you're cutting yet?
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Rifraf, if you have linux questions i can help.

Polix, Not yet but i have been giving it some thought. Once i settle on a design i would like to start working on a vac table and a platform for a slightly larger machine.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:10 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taget View Post
Rifraf, if you have linux questions i can help.

Polix, Not yet but i have been giving it some thought. Once i settle on a design i would like to start working on a vac table and a platform for a slightly larger machine.
I've milled a fair number of vacuum table surfaces in my previous job as a CNC guy, i can give you some good tips, readily adaptable to any home CNC machine, and it will hold all the parts down as they're being cut out
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:14 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geostomp View Post
Cool! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Geostomp,
Which Smooth Stepper are you using? Does it replace the C-10 that comes from Bluumax?

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:33 PM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined Jul 2010
156 Posts
Subscribing.

Tom
tr4252 is online now Find More Posts by tr4252
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:39 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
going to post the plans for a vacuum table with sacrificial surface here in the next couple days, just gotta get all the drawings done, it can all be done from MDF so it's very cheap, and you can mill it on your own machine too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Thats great Polix, cant wait to see it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:09 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,377 Posts
My mill uses these for limit switches. They work very good, and don't cost much.
Omron V-10G-1C24-K

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...2fmX5wbw%3d%3d

Hum, I saw a good deal on Ebay for a Fireball V90 not long ago, but someone bid more. I let them get a good deal instead of bidding it up.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97 View Post
Geostomp,
Which Smooth Stepper are you using? Does it replace the C-10 that comes from Bluumax?

Alan
No the SS is a motion controller that takes the information and outputs the timed pulses that run the motors. I bought it from Warp9.com, although currently their site is under maintenance. Basicly its USB out from computer to SS, SS serial out to C-10, C-10 to drivers and then on to motors. So yeah the SS is between the computer and C-10.

A computer with a serial port on an older machine will work with no motion controller but may have limitations. I originally bought the SS because my modern windows 7 computer did not have a serial out and would not recognize the one I installed. The SS gets info via USB and after reading about it I concluded it would solve my problem. Afterr installing the SS, It worked but I wanted a dedicated CNC computer.

So I bought a $60 computer from craigslist and for S and G's I hooked up the serial port only with no SS and it worked but I was limited on table speed. It was slow. So I hooked up the SS to my new old XP computer and it works great and that is what I currently use.

My C-10 is currently running my new 5 amp drivers on 3amp motors so it was a good investment.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by geostomp; Nov 30, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
My mill uses these for limit switches. They work very good, and don't cost much.
Omron V-10G-1C24-K

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...2fmX5wbw%3d%3d

Hum, I saw a good deal on Ebay for a Fireball V90 not long ago, but someone bid more. I let them get a good deal instead of bidding it up.
We whould all be so good so the first bidder always gets a steal. What a world it would be!
RCG Plus Member