Now we're talkin'
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:28 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Hows it going geostomp? Because of your thread here, I dug out my very old Hobbycnc 4 axis kit and put it together. Built a 35V 12 amp power supply. Hooked up two 80 oz steppers I had and checked all 4 axes with them. Everything works. I have a couple other used steppers -- 120 oz types but they need 8 pin connectors since they don't have wire pigtails. I ordered some I think will fit from Digikey.

Now what to build with them? I have a homemade CNC wire cutter already.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
A 3rd dimension?
Everett, WA.
Joined Feb 2005
128 Posts
Instead of replacing your motors consider doing a 3to1 or 4to1 belt reduction.
rcboats1 is offline Find More Posts by rcboats1
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:10 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Hows it going geostomp? Because of your thread here, I dug out my very old Hobbycnc 4 axis kit and put it together. Built a 35V 12 amp power supply. Hooked up two 80 oz steppers I had and checked all 4 axes with them. Everything works. I have a couple other used steppers -- 120 oz types but they need 8 pin connectors since they don't have wire pigtails. I ordered some I think will fit from Digikey.

Now what to build with them? I have a homemade CNC wire cutter already.
Cool, I'm just a link in the inspiration chain. I say make some airplanes!!! If your really good, helicopters!!!!!
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboats1 View Post
Instead of replacing your motors consider doing a 3to1 or 4to1 belt reduction.
Not a bad idea, though id like to graduate to ball screws eventually.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:07 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Great that you have a plane coming together geostomp. Looks good.

What I have in mind to build for CNC is a rotary positional lathe with a toolpost dremel mill.

Approximate size is going to be 12" x 24" capacity. It's going to be tricky driving it with the small steppers I have. But if I keep friction low and carriage light, they may work.

The bed won't be light, though. I bought two pieces of 3" steel channel iron 12" long for the front and back horizontal pieces. I think I'll use 1-1/4" OD steel tubing stock for the lengthwise frame stiffeners.

Haven't decided on the ways and linear bearings yet, though. Maybe DIY with 3/4" black iron pipe set floating in adjusters at the head and tail of the lathe. I might even slightly mill raceways on the pipe for skate bearings. Don't know how fancy I want to get.

Anyway the idea is to mill fuselages via rotary positioning.

Different topic:

I notice your mill looks like it makes a LOT of foam dust. I've recently seen a video of a foam cutter that produces bigger foam shavings, with much less dust. That was on the Foam Casualty website. I wonder what cutter he is using and what feed and speed he's running it at? Seems like it would be very helpful to cut down on the amount of dust created in milling foam.

Keep up the great work!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,159 Posts
That's a great price for getting into cnc! How is the accuracy?
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Great that you have a plane coming together geostomp. Looks good.

What I have in mind to build for CNC is a rotary positional lathe with a toolpost dremel mill.

Approximate size is going to be 12" x 24" capacity. It's going to be tricky driving it with the small steppers I have. But if I keep friction low and carriage light, they may work.

The bed won't be light, though. I bought two pieces of 3" steel channel iron 12" long for the front and back horizontal pieces. I think I'll use 1-1/4" OD steel tubing stock for the lengthwise frame stiffeners.

Haven't decided on the ways and linear bearings yet, though. Maybe DIY with 3/4" black iron pipe set floating in adjusters at the head and tail of the lathe. I might even slightly mill raceways on the pipe for skate bearings. Don't know how fancy I want to get.

Anyway the idea is to mill fuselages via rotary positioning.

Different topic:

I notice your mill looks like it makes a LOT of foam dust. I've recently seen a video of a foam cutter that produces bigger foam shavings, with much less dust. That was on the Foam Casualty website. I wonder what cutter he is using and what feed and speed he's running it at? Seems like it would be very helpful to cut down on the amount of dust created in milling foam.

Keep up the great work!
Hey the rotary axis milling sounds cool. I had the thought of making a 5 axis mdf router at one time just to prove I could. But after doing alot of metal at school and work I think my nest project will be a mill of some type capable of cutting aluminum. Maybe the harbor fright bench top mill with a cnc fusion ball screw kit and a G540. Then I could make aluminum molds for carbon fiber fans assuming 3 axis would be enough.

The dust is because my proverbial chip load is so miniscule causing tiny particles to accumulate. The 20,000 rpm of the cheapy router is too fast for my feed and wouldnt have the torque to keep up if I up'ed the feed rate. Its cheap, it works, I have a computer designed jet. I have been containing and vacuuming and I work out doors.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:23 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
That's a great price for getting into cnc! How is the accuracy?
It leaves room for improvement for accuracy. It is the first thing you will want to improve. $8k Tormach will suit many a hobbiest as well.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:21 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geostomp View Post
The dust is because my proverbial chip load is so miniscule causing tiny particles to accumulate. The 20,000 rpm of the cheapy router is too fast for my feed and wouldnt have the torque to keep up if I up'ed the feed rate. Its cheap, it works, I have a computer designed jet. I have been containing and vacuuming and I work out doors.
What about a Harbor Freight router speed controller to slow the router? Maybe the torque wouldn't drop much with a chopper.

I've also been looking at one of these machines:

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...ith-controller
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:56 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
I decided to go ahead and build my CNC Milling Machine:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685778
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:45 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,590 Posts
Quote:
I decided to go ahead and build my CNC Milling Machine:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685778
Thats cool. I'm starting to drool over the Grizzly G0704 CNC conversions I see on youtube.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,590 Posts
I invested in a 4 flute 1/4" carbide endmill with low friction coating. I also added the router speed control from Harbor Freight. Both have helped tremendously. I am getting a decent shaving and spindle loads are down substancially.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:56 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
Really geo? I was thinking single or double flute would give bigger chips, but will go by your experience if that cutter seems to work better with foam. Any idea what RPM you're running now?

btw, That speed controller is also great for powering a hot wire via a low voltage transformer or old style automotive battery charger, too. People often use dimmer switches for that purpose, but they don't have a built in fuse, three way switch, cord or outlet or box. If you were to buy all of that it would cost more than the speed controller. I've used that HF speed controller for many different things -- invaluable piece of equipment here -- frequently on sale at HF, too.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Really geo? I was thinking single or double flute would give bigger chips, but will go by your experience if that cutter seems to work better with foam. Any idea what RPM you're running now?

btw, That speed controller is also great for powering a hot wire via a low voltage transformer or old style automotive battery charger, too. People often use dimmer switches for that purpose, but they don't have a built in fuse, three way switch, cord or outlet or box. If you were to buy all of that it would cost more than the speed controller. I've used that HF speed controller for many different things -- invaluable piece of equipment here -- frequently on sale at HF, too.
My preference would have been a single flute. I have a 1/8" carbide single flute that monsters through wood. I needed a 4" oal and the 4 flute was all I could find. Ebay special.

Yeah that speed controller is sweet. 15 amp capable; the possibilities are endless.
Site Sponsor