HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:54 AM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,567 Posts
Got through my program at 30ipm and I also bought the table and lead screws to expand my table to 2x4 foot. The Z axis will get an upgrade to 6-8inch too.

BluumaxCNC Router (5 min 22 sec)
geostomp is online now Find More Posts by geostomp
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:00 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,570 Posts
Fine work
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,567 Posts
HaHa Thanks! You do alright yourself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,567 Posts
I need some more torque. Anyone know if I can run some higher torque 23's with the stock c-10 breakout board and drivers??
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:01 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,570 Posts
Per their manual it's a 12V or 24V motor, 1A per winding, 2.5A max

So...

Your options will be limited with those drives but you could probably find something.

I get my stuff from www.kelinginc.net but they're all higher power motors.

Are these NEMA 23 or NEMA 17 motors?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,567 Posts
They are Nema 23's with a 17 on the z. The table runs but ot would be nice to through some torque at it. What's a good low cost option for a few hundred ounces of torque?

Can I leave the breakout board and just get the motors and drivers? Any drawbacks to sticking with the C-10? I run a smoothstepper.

I want to run another rail on the y or run a bearing on the underside of the table and I think its going to demand some more power.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by geostomp; Apr 23, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:05 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,570 Posts
I run a G540 which is integrated controller and stepper drivers up to 3.5A per motor. It's about $300 but in my opinion worth every penny. You can probably just add stronger drivers to your breakout board... but you may or may not have other issues depending on what you choose.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Per their manual it's a 12V or 24V motor, 1A per winding, 2.5A max

So...

Your options will be limited with those drives but you could probably find something.

I get my stuff from www.kelinginc.net but they're all higher power motors.

Are these NEMA 23 or NEMA 17 motors?
My current motors are like .47 amp, so that gives me a little headroom. Thanks for the quick replys,
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,567 Posts
I haven't upgraded the motors but I did upgrade the gantry and table. My skate bearings were seizing up and took some oil. Must have been all the dust. I am making due with my current motors to save money.... I may upgrade in the future.

ReVolt R/C Jet Development (1 min 37 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,762 Posts
Great work geostomp, and very helpful to me since I'm considering a CNC router. I built a 4 axis CNC hot wire foam cutter last year using a HobbyCNC kit controller.

If your drivers can handle 2.5 amps and your motors are presently 0.47 amp nominal you should be able to get about 4 times the power from a motor upgrade to about 2 amps without exceeding the driver rating.

What about these ~2 amp motors? :

http://www.interinar.com/vexta-pk266-03a.html

Looks like 2 amps will get you about 160 in/oz and you probably are presently getting about 40-50 in oz.

Looking forward to reading more about your project!

Also, rather than adding weight, if you do some mods, try to get 3 bearings on the pipe track -- like the router link below. Remember, weight = inertia for the carriage, meaning the need for even bigger (and heavier motors, supports, etc.) and lower acceleration with missed steps at lower speeds possibly, as well.

Strive for the lightest carriages possible, just like you do airframes.

Here's the link for the 3 bearing carriage support:

http://www.buildyouridea.com/cnc/hblb/hblb.html

note that the bottom is open. This allows the pipe rails to be raised on narrow blocks, rather than flush to the mounting board. Something like these bearing holders can be fabricated as well as cast.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Last edited by vtdiy; May 27, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,762 Posts
Actually, maybe a better motor would be the #23-130-DS8 185oz-in bipolar rating that HobbyCNC offers here:

http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/stepper-motors/

Good people to deal with.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old May 28, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Great work geostomp, and very helpful to me since I'm considering a CNC router. I built a 4 axis CNC hot wire foam cutter last year using a HobbyCNC kit controller.

If your drivers can handle 2.5 amps and your motors are presently 0.47 amp nominal you should be able to get about 4 times the power from a motor upgrade to about 2 amps without exceeding the driver rating.

What about these ~2 amp motors? :

http://www.interinar.com/vexta-pk266-03a.html

Looks like 2 amps will get you about 160 in/oz and you probably are presently getting about 40-50 in oz.

Looking forward to reading more about your project!

Also, rather than adding weight, if you do some mods, try to get 3 bearings on the pipe track -- like the router link below. Remember, weight = inertia for the carriage, meaning the need for even bigger (and heavier motors, supports, etc.) and lower acceleration with missed steps at lower speeds possibly, as well.

Strive for the lightest carriages possible, just like you do airframes.

Here's the link for the 3 bearing carriage support:

http://www.buildyouridea.com/cnc/hblb/hblb.html

note that the bottom is open. This allows the pipe rails to be raised on narrow blocks, rather than flush to the mounting board. Something like these bearing holders can be fabricated as well as cast.
Those blocks are neat, but I'm too busy making jet parts to forge metal, but milling blocks out of delrin might be an option for me. Those are great link though and are food for future thought. I may just run a bearing under the table on a rail and that will serve to sure up my Y linear ways and also help to eliminate any table sag under the cutter.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
Actually, maybe a better motor would be the #23-130-DS8 185oz-in bipolar rating that HobbyCNC offers here:

http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/stepper-motors/

Good people to deal with.
Unfortunetly, the drivers I use that cam with the bluumax are 1amp per phase with a 2.5 amp max rating. So I believe I can only use steppers with a 1 amp rating. I'm making do and getting things cut at 36ipm.

I ran into some backlash issues and delt with them by oiling my bearings and replacing my leadscrew coupler tube with some heavy duty airline tubing that I found at lowes. 3/8 I.D. and ridgid as hell. Also I brushed CA under my Y rails and now they don't move at all. Now I can set my origin and trust it follows within reason for what I intend to use it for.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,567 Posts
RCG Plus Member