HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:40 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Build Log
Bluumax CNC router kit $415.00 with motors and controller

My cnc router kit arrives tomorrow from bluumax.com. This is basically a diy kit that takes the engineering out of the equation and allows a person to concentrate on the other aspects of setting up a cnc. I'll post.
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Router arrived. Yea this is my first router. I'm in school learning g code and setup. I have no affiliation with bluumax.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:09 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
I have everything assembled that came with the kit and added wood, threaded rod, a power supply, and some wire. I have a smoothstepper board in route via overnight to address the mach 3/Windows 7x64 issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:19 AM
Metal Master
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Let us know how it runs when you have it all together. I would like to build one for home since i have 4 large CNC machines for work that i use everyday.
Hangman15 is offline Find More Posts by Hangman15
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman15 View Post
Let us know how it runs when you have it all together. I would like to build one for home since i have 4 large CNC machines for work that i use everyday.
I have the smoothstepper now but had to make another order for its special cord that adapts the parallel to a 26 pin low profile, and I went priority on the shipping this time so it will be a few days. I have been learning the basics on various Haas equipment and I'm sure the bluumax won't compare, but I'll let you know how this works out for the money. The build was crisp with everything being tapped with perfect placement.

I will eventually use it to cut parts to upgrade it. It would be cool to see one with acrylic b and c axis milling a compressor wheel in foam or plastic.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by geostomp; Mar 01, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:44 PM
Metal Master
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geostomp View Post
I have been learning the basics on various Haas equipment and I'm sure it won't compare

I love to machine
Last edited by Hangman15; Mar 12, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:57 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Bluumax CNC Router Kit (low cost) (5 min 36 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:40 AM
Metal Master
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Geo, Looks great. awesome job of gettting it up and running. Do you think the plexy side supports will be enough for the router running and the side loads that will be put onto the cutter? Can not wait until we see wood chips.

Mikey

Keep on building
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman15 View Post
Geo, Looks great. awesome job of gettting it up and running. Do you think the plexy side supports will be enough for the router running and the side loads that will be put onto the cutter? Can not wait until we see wood chips.

Mikey

Keep on building
I saw where a person added a piece of plexy parallel to the x axis and attached them to the side supports of the gantry to box it up and add strength. I found myself buying a 1/4 trim router to mount to the bluumax, which has also been done, and I think letting the tool do the work is going to be the name of the game. The Bluumax website does suggest that mods are a likely occurance once the basics are covered, but I just want to cut battery trays out of ply and shape foam for composite plugs so the Max is a shoe-in for cost effectiveness. I'll post once I get the spindle mounted and ripping!

George
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Bluumax tuned for speed. (1 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:19 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
So I cut a piece of melamine a few times because it was the only material I had on hand. It cut really nice at 60ipm but I lost steps and slowed it to 5ipm. The cuts tend to heat the tool at that rate of feed. I was also having trouble keeping my work peice down and it would jump up into the tool at times. Without calculation it seems I may need to find a middle ground for my feed rate and maybe continue tuning my motors.

There was talk of changing the steps of the motors to increase torque. They are at half step now and I am not sure which setting would give more torque,1/4 or full step. The 1/4" tool is alot for this machine and it results in very high cutting speed and alot of side forces to contend with. I believe the 1/8" tool it was designed for will cut down on cutting speed and take less torque from the steppers to move accurately.

I think the cutting speed was way high in the video and that is why the tool never got sufficient bite and instead created heat.

The bluumax Y linear motion is held in place by gravity. I may begin a mod in this area by simply adding some wieght to it at a low CG.

Bluumax cutting masonite (10 min 16 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
With the proper feeds and speeds, tooling, and depth of cut, the bluumax performs! It says on the web site that the bluumax is no race car or tank, but when used within a nominal level of load it is very useful. It seemed to jump to life after I lubed the lead screws with silicone grease. I also added 15lbs of pennys to the gantry below the cut table.

Bluumax CNC router doing a quick engrave. (2 min 39 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
I have been learning MasterCam. Bluumax is good for learning. Everything cut with .125 straight flute carbide from Home Depot. 50% stepover on the facing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:46 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,769 Posts
Looking good. Once you start with any type of machine, whether it's big dollars or not... you learn how incredibly simple these things really are. They look scary and intimidating at first but the fears go away quickly.

Small and inexpensive machines can be extremely useful, just not usually extremely fast. Enjoy your first machine, and use it to make your second machine... like I did.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Looking good. Once you start with any type of machine, whether it's big dollars or not... you learn how incredibly simple these things really are. They look scary and intimidating at first but the fears go away quickly.

Small and inexpensive machines can be extremely useful, just not usually extremely fast. Enjoy your first machine, and use it to make your second machine... like I did.
Yeah, the first one has got to be the first one, and I am starting to get a grip on Cam software as well. Making a new router in the future is inevitable once I am proficient in 3d modeling. I am going to make some foamies and test out some designs. When I get one I really like I will scale up the Cad File and the router and use the part as a plug to make molds from!
RCG Plus Member