Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
Controlled Chaos
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fired Up View Post
Hight rate,max travel on aileron,elevator,rudder.Expo 60.On low rate half the travel on aileron elevator, expo 45.Thats where i start from. Freddy I have the sane size from hobby king.
Awesome, thanks for the help!
Now if the 30mph winds would just lay down...
OKJeepin is offline Find More Posts by OKJeepin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
Guys, where can I find more info on what "expo" is and how it works? I have the X9 Tx/Rx system and would like to know more on how to use it cause I am getting this plane in the next few days
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
Guys, where can I find more info on what "expo" is and how it works? I have the X9 Tx/Rx system and would like to know more on how to use it cause I am getting this plane in the next few days
This might help.
Transmitter Dual Rate and Expo Theory, Part 1 of 2 (8 min 28 sec)
Gharddog03 is online now Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
Controlled Chaos
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fired Up View Post
Hight rate,max travel on aileron,elevator,rudder.Expo 60.On low rate half the travel on aileron elevator, expo 45.Thats where i start from. Freddy I have the sane size from hobby king.

Those throws worked great for a starting point on the maiden today, thanks!

She flew great, really a joy to fly.

We had 8-12mph winds, and a very clear sky so we took her up on the maiden voyage today and what a blast!!
This is my first sport/3D plane and it was very easy to fly. I flew it around on low rates for a bit, landed it very nicely then back up again for a few loops and rolls on high rates and it was very managable. It is not a 3D plane in my opinion, but a very capable sport flying plane. Can't wait for the next trip to the airport!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
Got mine for Xmas, looks sweet, just have to pick out some batteries now...
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
Got it put together for the most part, how do you guys mount your batteries? Can someone provide a pic so I know its right please? Searching did not net any pics. Also how the heck do you hook up the steerable tail gear with the wire, the pic is very vague.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
Controlled Chaos
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Got it put together for the most part, how do you guys mount your batteries? Can someone provide a pic so I know its right please? Searching did not net any pics. Also how the heck do you hook up the steerable tail gear with the wire, the pic is very vague.
Hope this helps, heck, I hope it's right! lol I do know it works, we had to a little tweaking with the wires, but it works great.

I put a small piece of velcro in the hole where the battery goes, and another small piece on the battery, and just slide the battery all the way in. I also had to add 3 oz of weight to the front to get the CG right. Mine came with two cockpits, a two passenger and a single seat with the pilot. I ended up removing the pilot and used the single seat to help with CG. The hatch/cockpit helps hold the battery in it's slot also.

Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
You just got some rod and bent it yourself? Looks pretty good, I may pick some up from my LHS and do that. And NOW I see where the batter "hole" is, thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
Controlled Chaos
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
You just got some rod and bent it yourself? Looks pretty good, I may pick some up from my LHS and do that. And NOW I see where the batter "hole" is, thanks.
Mine came with the wires.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
Oh, mine didnt come with those, mine came with stranded/braded wire for the tail gear
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,765 Posts
Pulled the trigger on the blue Extra with stars and stripes. It will replace my Parkzone Extra. So now I will have to put my mint condition PZ Extra up for sale to keep the wife happy. I have so many planes, that we have agreed that I will keep "duplicates" to a minimum...I love that gal.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:51 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
320 Posts
Hi Guys:
Got myself a Red Extra 330 for a Xmas present. Version II Just got done putting it together and I have a question on the CG. At 85 mm ( what the instructions say) with a 4S2200 battery it's way tail heavy. Tried balancing it at 100 mm and it's a bit nose heavy. What would you guys recommend as a good starting point? Thanks for any help.
Hawaiian
Hawaiian Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Hawaiian Flyin
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:05 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Flyin View Post
Hi Guys:
Got myself a Red Extra 330 for a Xmas present. Version II Just got done putting it together and I have a question on the CG. At 85 mm ( what the instructions say) with a 4S2200 battery it's way tail heavy. Tried balancing it at 100 mm and it's a bit nose heavy. What would you guys recommend as a good starting point? Thanks for any help.
Hawaiian
Mine was also crazy tail heavy, even w/a Nano 4S 2650 all the way forward. I pushed a 4S 3300 Sky lipo all the way to the front, and it is now balanced close to perfectly (I also opened the canopy and ripped the stupid jet-fighter pilot out). I believe that the first version of the Extra 330 had the servos in the middle of the fuse - now that they are 'upgraded' and located way back in the tail on the same airframe, it may have led to the current balancing issue.

Try to balance it @ 80-85 for best performance. Also, make sure to fly it all the way to the ground - the low speed handling (lack thereof) is a little scary, and you can NOT just kill the throttle and glide in like with a lighter foamy. Program in a lot of expo, and fly @ 70% elevator and ailerons until you get used to the takeoffs and landings. Remember that if you are balanced at all tail-heavy, the elevator becomes very responsive and can make for some 'puckering' porpoise-type landing attempts if you over-control.

EDIT: Sorry - I just read back, and realized that most of this was already mentioned a month ago. DriverRX8 was spot-on with the servo/CG issue
JayDoc is offline Find More Posts by JayDoc
Last edited by JayDoc; Jan 01, 2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Oops - repeating myself...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:23 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
320 Posts
Thanks for the info JayDoc. I don't have a 3300 battery handy but since I need some batteries for my other planes will go and order some. Read some previous posts where some guys have theirs balanced at 100 mm so thought that would work. At 97 mm it balances perfect with the 4S2200. Will get some 3300 batteries and balance it at the 80-85 mm range and go from there. It's a great looking plane. Mine arrived in great shape. I see no noticeable warping or any damage at all! Thanks
Hawaiian.
Hawaiian Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Hawaiian Flyin
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:55 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,088 Posts
do you all think a 4000mah pack would work in this plane?
I have a few I use for FE racing and thought about buying this plane..
thanks
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55