HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRX8 View Post
I've never had a problem with the dual servos on the elevators, other than initially getting them aligned, but I do like the idea of a single, more powerful servo on the elevator. I might just make that mod on my Extra.
Just finished this mod tonight. Took out the failing servo, installed a larger holed linkage stopper (I think that's what its called) linked both elevator rods to a single servo in the middle and switched the rudder rod to the left over outter servo. Ordered a couple of 17g sevos I've used in my dynam pitts with great success, but this weekend the 9g it comes with will have to do.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
160 Posts
I clicked that link but what really got my attention where those cool tech-one places made from hollowed out epp and film covering. Those look like they could be really good 3D planes. I like the tech one stuff nitroplanes has.
Mattacks is offline Find More Posts by Mattacks
Last edited by Mattacks; Aug 24, 2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
486 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Good info on the ESC's from both of you. I pulled the trigger on a V1 because I like the paint job on the silver/red one. (and it was on sale too) It seems all of the differences are things that can easily be changed later if not satisfied (at a cost of some effort and expense, but so would re-painting / re-stickering). I might re-hinge right away. Then fly it some on 4s and go from there.

queadlunnrau, I like the way you did your elevator mod. I've never been a fan of the little bridge between elevators anyway - seems like they're always a little weaker than they should be.

Charles
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:31 AM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
351 Posts
My Aerosky SBach - orange and dark blue

I'm afraid I'm not very happy with this airframe. I've never been able to get all the warps out of the control surfaces, which has really reduced the performance / quality of the plane's flying characteristics.

I had shelved mine to fly other better performing planes for about a month. I took it out again yesterday. I must say I was pretty unsatisfied with how it flew. My setup has tons of power (see my blog or earlier posts for my setup), but the plane just does not handle crisply in the air.

I'm going to pull my electronics and stick them in a nice balsa ARF. If anyone is in the Madison, WI area and wants the empty airframe - PM me and bring a six pack and it is yours... and no, I won't ship it any distance. Not worth the trouble.
jokeane is offline Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Le Fish aerobatic slope glider
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. My red, white, and blue Extra is beautiful, and the size and power is awesome, but I'm like you - I could never get it trimmed out well enough to really do any decent aerobatics. It still wants to roll out of the top side of a loop, and I can't seem to trim out the knife edge coupling. There's a warp at the trailing edge of the wing that I just can't do anything about, and the ailerons are warped and have a lot of slop in them. I've found myself flying it less and less, and doing more aerobatics with my PZ T-28 that with the Extra. That being said, it is such a good looking airplane, for now it is worth keeping in my hanger. I'm going to eventually get me something from Precision Aerobatics or 3D Hobby Shop - though of course that is going to cost a lot more than the Extra. But this Extra is not going to help me improve my 3D skills at all, like I hoped it would.

I don't want to get down on the airplane, because I think it is a really good deal for the money, and really good looking, but my aerobatic expectations were a little more than what were realized.
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,424 Posts
I was all set to get the 330SC V2 until I read the last two posts here about warps. Is this a universal problem?

The best deal I could find on Nitroplanes site today for a ARF 330SC V2 is $153.60 is there a better deal somewhere else or a useable Nitroplanes coupon# available somewhere?

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Aug 26, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I was all set to get the 330SC V2 until I read the last two posts here about warps. Is this a universal problem?

The best deal I could find on Nitroplanes site today for a ARF 330SC V2 is $153.60 is there a better deal somewhere else or a useable Nitroplanes coupon# available somewhere?

Thank you!
PRICEPICKLE will get you 6%. From my experience, warping is always a problem with any foam airplane. I can't remember ever getting one that didn't have some amount of warping - some worse than others. For sport or scale flyers, the warpage doesn't matter that much, but if you are looking to do precision aerobatics, it could be a factor. I can do plenty of sport aerobatics with my Extra, warps and all, but don't confuse it for a balsa 3DHS plane. Of course, it's a lot cheaper than a 3DHS plane, so you generally get what you pay for. The Extra's looks, size, power, and price make it a great addition to your collection as long as you realize that it is a scale model of a 330, and not a big 3D airplane. The upgrades offered with the V2 will no doubt help, but unless they have figured out how to get their ailerons and wings out of the mold without them warping, you will likely just have to live with the good looks and sport-level performance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Jun 2010
486 Posts
Most of my planes are some kind of 3D in either balsa or foam. I don't need this one to be. (V1 330SC) I'm definitely looking forward to flying something that takes bigger than a 3s 2200. Maybe I shouldn't say this since it's still in shipping, but I think it'll be hard to complain at something this size which costs ~$142. I'm ready to modify it if I feel the need.

Charles
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:10 AM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,206 Posts
Okay just finished flying her with the linked elevators to one servo and WOW one of my servos must have been failing for some time now. She really felt more solid, more like when I first maidened her.

Though one of my flights today resulted in my first crash ... -_- Stupid Sun ... Posting Video soon.

Aerosky Extra 330sc Crash! (1 min 45 sec)
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Aug 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,424 Posts
I'm ready to move on from my Apprentice 15e trainer. Would the 330SC be a good transition plane if I want a sport flyer?

I like the red, white & blue Version 1 but a version 2 is out but only available in all red or all blue. Is the Version 2 worth getting over Version 1?

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
Okay just finished flying her with the linked elevators to one servo and WOW one of my servos must have been failing for some time now. She really felt more solid, more like when I first maidened her.

Though one of my flights today resulted in my first crash ... -_- Stupid Sun ... Posting Video soon.

http://youtu.be/rwTZp9eBB7g
Sorry to see your crash, but it WAS compelling video! It's amazing how little damage you had, and how good it looks after repairs. The first 9/10ths of your video really makes me want to do the single-servo mod. The reason my plane wants to roll out of manuevers using elevator may be due to imbalanced servos, more than due to warpage.

Can't wait to see the next video (with a happy ending)!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRX8 View Post
Sorry to see your crash, but it WAS compelling video! It's amazing how little damage you had, and how good it looks after repairs. The first 9/10ths of your video really makes me want to do the single-servo mod. The reason my plane wants to roll out of manuevers using elevator may be due to imbalanced servos, more than due to warpage.

Can't wait to see the next video (with a happy ending)!
You should link the elevators, she really flew solid all day. At one point I really wanted to sell this bird due to it flying a bit wonky, until I learned it was one of the elevator servos was going out by chance. I did a premaiden check one day and one of the elevators got stuck in the up position. I noticed both linked servos were different servos all together! Almost like they just threw what ever servos they found in.

Just finished installing a fast strong 17g servo for the elevator, left the rudder servo alone as I felt the rudder's been working fine so why change something already working.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:31 AM
Joined Jun 2010
486 Posts
A big brown box showed up on my doorstep today. In smallish letters it said something like EXTRA330SC-RED. Unfortunately I didn't have time today to look inside it to see if it was true.

Charles
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:54 PM
You cant crash if you dont fly
Norfolk VA
Joined Aug 2010
40 Posts
I have the new red one in the mail after HK screwed me over I bought the MX2 green but they did not box it very well and the frame is to bent to fly and they will not warranty there products so its the new extra for me,
was really thinking about the CMP EP Katana SR 38~42 Remote Control RC Aerobatic Airplane Receiver-Ready but looks like you have to do allot of mods to get anything out of it
Aerosky Extra Sports Aerobatic RC Airplane (5 min 48 sec)
Skiscola is offline Find More Posts by Skiscola
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Anyone had any luck with 3D Hobby Shop? I can never reach them to buy a $300.00 plane!
jetster7 is offline Find More Posts by jetster7