SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Jul 2008
180 Posts
I just ordered mine. I got the orange and black sbach. I hope its nice. It seems to have a light flying weight. I got the arf version. I'm gonna swap out the esc and later the servos. I have some from a crashed airplane. Can't wait to get this puppy. Hope is bright orange and the paint sticks. later guys. It gonna come to my house in louisiana from California. Delivery date is Wednesday the 18th. Same day I'm having surgery. Can anyone hold it for me till thurs? I'll be homae then. Later guys
ledouxmike is offline Find More Posts by ledouxmike
Last edited by ledouxmike; Jul 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling and added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
Gents,

I'm considering buying one of these Aerosky monoplanes....I'm still in a toss-up between the Sbach and Extra 330 (the red, white, and blue one is very appealing!). I've read all of your posts, and have read the RCUniverse and RCGroups flight reviews on the Extra. They "seem" like nice airplanes...I usually lean more towards balsa kits, but I had a Carbon Z Yak that changed my perception of foam airplanes (unfortunately I lost it, faulty Spektrum DX7 tx ).

So my question to you all is: would you recommend one or the other? Particularly, the Rx-ready kit...I don't wanna spend another $100+ in aftermarket electronics. Are your servos, motor, and ESC holding up? I'm a fairly aggressive pilot, though I don't do 3D-style maneuvers...mainly spins, KE's, rolling circles, and other intermediate maneuvers. I don't want it for 3D, and if I've read correctly - neither is particularly good for it anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

Lastly, how well are the pressed-foam hinges holding up? I plan to cut the seams on all control surfaces and install real hinges...I don't trust the stock configuration. However, I'd consider leaving them alone if no one is having issues with them.

Thanks in advance
DontTMACajun is offline Find More Posts by DontTMACajun
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Jul 2008
180 Posts
Hey guys. What kind of throws are u getting with the stock servos? I'm using a DX6i.
I received my plane but ever single part of my plane has some kind of damage.

I'm trying to decide if I want to have them replace it or just get my money back. thx
ledouxmike is offline Find More Posts by ledouxmike
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTMACajun View Post
Gents,

I'm considering buying one of these Aerosky monoplanes....I'm still in a toss-up between the Sbach and Extra 330 (the red, white, and blue one is very appealing!). I've read all of your posts, and have read the RCUniverse and RCGroups flight reviews on the Extra. They "seem" like nice airplanes...I usually lean more towards balsa kits, but I had a Carbon Z Yak that changed my perception of foam airplanes (unfortunately I lost it, faulty Spektrum DX7 tx ).

So my question to you all is: would you recommend one or the other? Particularly, the Rx-ready kit...I don't wanna spend another $100+ in aftermarket electronics. Are your servos, motor, and ESC holding up? I'm a fairly aggressive pilot, though I don't do 3D-style maneuvers...mainly spins, KE's, rolling circles, and other intermediate maneuvers. I don't want it for 3D, and if I've read correctly - neither is particularly good for it anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

Lastly, how well are the pressed-foam hinges holding up? I plan to cut the seams on all control surfaces and install real hinges...I don't trust the stock configuration. However, I'd consider leaving them alone if no one is having issues with them.

Thanks in advance
So far my 330SC is holding up really well, hinges are just like new with just over a dozen flights (Washington state has been raining a lot this summer stupid state does not understand the country is supposed to be in a heat wave).

The carbon Z yak is a good 3d plane from what I've been reading, but if your not really into 3d, i'd say go for the Aerosky it's on sale now!

I haven't had to replace anything yet, but again a dozen flights really isn't that much.

If your ever in the Seattle/Tacoma/Everett area, I'm selling mine for $120, not that anything is wrong with it, I just really want a good medium sized 3d plane (The Carbon Z yak is what I am looking at now.)
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:19 AM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
So far my 330SC is holding up really well, hinges are just like new with just over a dozen flights (Washington state has been raining a lot this summer stupid state does not understand the country is supposed to be in a heat wave).

The carbon Z yak is a good 3d plane from what I've been reading, but if your not really into 3d, i'd say go for the Aerosky it's on sale now!

I haven't had to replace anything yet, but again a dozen flights really isn't that much.

If your ever in the Seattle/Tacoma/Everett area, I'm selling mine for $120, not that anything is wrong with it, I just really want a good medium sized 3d plane (The Carbon Z yak is what I am looking at now.)
Thanks for your reply

Yea, I noticed they were on sale; I'm kind-of waiting for a shipping/other discount before I pull the trigger. Good to hear that yours is hanging in there, I wasn't too skeptical but it's always good to have real-world reviews from guys like you, ya know?

The carbon Z was a great airplane, it'll take A N Y T H I N G you can throw at it. Stronger than a balsa build, no doubt, and lighter. Not quite the power-to-weight ratio I personally prefer, but does have a good bit of punch in stock form. My *&@#$#% DX-7 lost it's signal and the Z went into fail-safe, right in the middle of an inverted spin. Got the signal back but couldn't recover in time, shredded the Z through an oak tree. Surprisingly, it even handled that fairly well, might have been salvageable but I busted it up pretty bad getting it out of the tree...I thought it was totaled so I was only really after the electronics, after we got it down I realized it might have been repairable if we'd used more finesse! Lol Such is life I guess. I'd like to have another one but not for the going price...I'm sure these Aerosky planes will give me the same joy for less $$$.
DontTMACajun is offline Find More Posts by DontTMACajun
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
612 Posts
Got code via email for the sale that had free shipping over $75.00 but just tried it and it "doesn't exist..."
daedalusrobert is offline Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
Last edited by daedalusrobert; Jul 20, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:48 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
I've been looking at these for a while now. Are the worth the $150 quid? I have the Peaks Biplane and out the box it's very good. I'm looking for a wide flight envelope fast and slow with precision. How 3D capable is it?
Putter is offline Find More Posts by Putter
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:59 AM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putter View Post
I've been looking at these for a while now. Are the worth the $150 quid? I have the Peaks Biplane and out the box it's very good. I'm looking for a wide flight envelope fast and slow with precision. How 3D capable is it?
I also have the Dynam Peaks (Pitts) and LOVE that plane! Does everything I'm capable of throwing at it.

I'm still learning to fly more aggressive 3d and my Aerosky 330sc high alphas pretty good with little wing rock, but I cannot keep it in a hover for more than a few seconds.

As for precision, after I took away the slop in the aileron linkages, she's pretty darn precise and flies patterns real well, I have a touch of coupling when doing knife edges, but maybe it's prolly how I setup my bird and it's CG.

Is it worth $150 quid? IMO it depends on what your are expecting, if you want to hone and advance your 3d skills (like I'm trying) than naw, there are other planes that fit that role at the same cost or less, but if you just want an easy flier with nice lines, good detail and pleases the crowd than this one is not a bad plane.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Thanks for the input Q. I agree the Peaks (Pitts) is the business. The aerosky is a looker for sure. I guess I'll have to get two more planes instead of one. The aerosky is to irresistible for overall pattern / aerobatic flight. So what do you suggest for 3D in the same price range that's a good flyer and a looker?
My 3D skills are getting better by the week. I've almost got my rollers down! Still working at getting better though. It's a journey.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:27 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putter View Post
Thanks for the input Q. I agree the Peaks (Pitts) is the business. The aerosky is a looker for sure. I guess I'll have to get two more planes instead of one. The aerosky is to irresistible for overall pattern / aerobatic flight. So what do you suggest for 3D in the same price range that's a good flyer and a looker?
My 3D skills are getting better by the week. I've almost got my rollers down! Still working at getting better though. It's a journey.
For under $150 I've been eyeballing the Dynam SBach 342, it's $120 US. From reading about it in RCG, it does require some mods to get it to do hardcore 3d. Seems most people are very happy throwing that around and it takes it well.

Here is a link to a vid of it from one of our forum patrons Note he's only changed out the tail servo and I think the prop?

BTW I'm no longer selling my 330SC, I really do like how it looks and hasn't failed me yet.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Well... I pulled the trigger on the Jamaican colored Extra 330 SC along with a Peaks Kit ($79 Kit = GREAT Deal) I just may need it for spares as I push the envelope with the Bipe.
Question... Does the Extra 330 SC have a good presence? 55" wingspan should be nice! I was wondering about the overall presentation of the plane itself. 3 days 'til delivery.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:33 PM
Threadliest Catch
United States, MO, St. Robert
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
3d

I have heard nothing but great things about all of these aircraft. The AeroSky aircraft are great and the Peaks (which I own) is fantastic. I read that you need to balance the props before you fly though so you don't destroy the plane. I have videos of the Peaks and some others from Nitro planes if you all want to take a look.

www.youtube.com/soobywade

Hope you enjoy.
Sooby22 is offline Find More Posts by Sooby22
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:59 AM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
486 Posts
Any insight to the differences between the version 1 and version 2 Extra 330SC? I.e. how significant do you think they are? Last item is just my opinion. For the other differences are there any I missed?

V1: ||||| V2:
45a ESC 4s max ||||| 60a ESC 5s max
5 9g servos ||||| 4 20g servos
split elevators on long pushrods ||||| joined elevators w/ 1 rear servo
foam hinges ||||| "real" hinges
cool paint job (looking at red) ||||| "okay" paint job (again looking at red)
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:36 AM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpdx View Post
Any insight to the differences between the version 1 and version 2 Extra 330SC? I.e. how significant do you think they are? Last item is just my opinion. For the other differences are there any I missed?

V1: ||||| V2:
45a ESC 4s max ||||| 60a ESC 5s max
5 9g servos ||||| 4 20g servos
split elevators on long pushrods ||||| joined elevators w/ 1 rear servo
foam hinges ||||| "real" hinges
cool paint job (looking at red) ||||| "okay" paint job (again looking at red)
"joined elevators w/ 1 rear servo"

This one I wish mine had this, one of my stock servos is going out on the elevator so my last flight, using elevator input sometimes created a role ... was a bit scary, but did not cause a crash. I'm going to purchase a few 17-20g servo and join both elevators to 1 servo on mine.

"real" hinges

Already had to do this on mine, used CA hinges, my ailerons were a bit warped and after about 6 flights one of them tore at the end, so CA hinges went in and gave me a bit more throw as I left a tiny gap.

But I still LOVE the red, white and blue paint job, mine runs pretty quick and great on 4s, so a 60a esc to run 5s isn't that important to me.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:32 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
"45a ESC 4s max ||||| 60a ESC 5s max"

I am convinced the original Extra has a 60- or even 65-amp ESC, and NOT a 45. The only place the ESC is identified as 45 amps is on the Nitroplanes website. Neither the box nor the manual for the airplane identifies the ESC capacity, and it's not on the ESC itself. Physically, though, the ESC is much bigger than a typical 45-amp, and is very similar to a 60. On a fully-charged 4S battery, the power system pulls 50 - 57 amps and over 750 watts. I can't believe they would supply only a 45 amp ESC for that kind of power on this kind of airplane. I've done some pretty abusive flying on my Extra, and the ESC has never gotten above what I consider warm. I feel certain it would have melted by now if it was only 45 amps. I took the ESC from my first Extra (RIP) and put it in my new ducted fan jet, and it handles the high-throttle flying just fine. I wish someone would post a photo of the "new" ESC laying beside a ruler. I'd like to see if there is any obvious difference between the "45-amp" and the "60-amp" ESC.

"split elevators on long pushrods ||||| joined elevators w/ 1 rear servo"

I've never had a problem with the dual servos on the elevators, other than initially getting them aligned, but I do like the idea of a single, more powerful servo on the elevator. I might just make that mod on my Extra.

"foam hinges ||||| "real" hinges"

I was really dissappointed to see the foam hinges when I received my Extra. I had read a review of the sister Sbach, and it had hinges so that's what I was expecting. My ailerons were slightly warped, and the foam hinges restricted the control throw somewhat, so I cut them loose to use pin hinges. Once they were cut loose, man did they twist and deform! The foam hinge was what was keeping the ailerons relatively straight. I put in the nylon hinges, and they pulled the ailerons back into line, mostly, and gave me more control throw. I also glued carbon fiber strips on the trailing edges to help straighten them out. I was pretty pleased with the ailerons after that. I'm planning to eventually put hinges on the elevator, and now that I've seen the single-servo installation, I may just do that mod at the same time.

"I still LOVE the red, white and blue paint job"

Me too! It's a beautiful look, and models the Air National Guard demonstration team.

The early reviews of the original Extra, including my own, described how the model really wasn't a 3D machine as much as just a scale model of an Extra 330. Part of that conclusion was due to the limited control deflections allowed by the foam hinges, and part of that was due to a watts-per-pound number more like an agressive sport plane than a true 3D plane. It appears that Aerosky had come to the same conclusion, and upped the ante a little bit by using hinges on the control surfaces, upgrading to more powerful servos, advertising a higher-capacity ESC, and recommending a 5S battery. I still love the look of the patriotic scheme on my Extra, though. If that version was available with the other upgrades, I might just have to buy another!
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member