HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:54 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Finally Maidened My Extra

The winds finally calmed enough to maiden my Extra. I took off from work early to get a few flights in before dark. First takeoff was on the exciting side: I had programmed flaperons just to experiment later, but as Murphy would have it, I musta hit the flap switch without knowing it sometime during takeoff. It went vertical immediately, and was barely controllable. My first thought was that I had wildly miscalculated CG. I nearly lost it several times trying to dodge the ground before I got it high enough to get it in fairly stable flight. I thought I had really gotten hold of a pig of an airplane, until I figured out halfway through the flight what I had done. Flap switch up, and what a difference! After that, I was really impressed by how well it handled, and how it would do exactly what I would tell it to do. I only had three batteries on hand, but went through them all without incident.

The airplane flew great at the recommended CG - Like jokeane's SBach, it's probably just the slightest amount nose-heavy at the recommended CG. I ended up flying with 60% control throw and 40% expo, just trying to get used to the plane. I can't wait to start cranking up the control throws - It should be a lot of fun. Thank goodness I only had it at 60% while dealing with the flaperons - It would have ended up as a pile of packing peanuts in a field, otherwise.

The only problem I have now is that the spinner is way out of balance. I take the spinner off, and the motor runs full blast as smooth as silk. With the spinner on, the motor nearly vibrates off when it gets over 75% throttle - and you can really hear it. Watching the spinner on a ground run, you can see the point of the spinner bolt making a wobbly circle. I don't really know how to fix that one - The bolt doesn't appear bent, but the spinner just doesn't quite line up axially when the bolt is screwed in. Anyone with any suggestions would be appreciated. I feel jokeane's pain regarding non-standard parts. If it weren't for the custom fitting on the prop shaft for the spinner, I'd just go to my LHS and buy a nice aluminum spinner.

Using 2650mAH batteries, I get an easy eight full minutes of mixed flight time. That takes them down to around 3.7V per cell, which is about as low as I typically like to go.

One other observation: Aside from watching the bounce, I know when I have made a hard landing, because the canopy pops out of the retaining clips. I may add some magnets to see if that helps.

Looks like more wind for the rest of the week. Hopefully I can get some more flights this weekend!
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Oh, and about the ESC on the Extra ARF...

I forgot to mention my experience with the ESC on the Extra ARF. I was concerned about the amp rating for the ESC because I couldn't find it on the box or in the instructions, and the Nitroplanes website said it was 45 amps. I watched it very closely in ground runs and checked it right after my flights, and it was just barely warm after eight minutes of mixed flying. I just don't believe its a 45 amp ESC - its gotta be a 60. I couldn't believe the manufacturer would really put a 45 amp ESC on a 700+ Watt power set up, so I decided I would just watch it closely. I may have a different conclusion once I start doing some really agressive, long flights, but for now, it doesn't appear to be anything to be concerned about.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Oh, The Humanity!

It was a bad day for the pilot of my Extra yesterday. I had just taken off, and was climbing out over the road that is my runway, and my pilot evidently didn't like what he was seeing in the cockpit. The plane was about 30 feet up and 100 feet away, flying away from me, and I see the canopy fly off, and then the pilot eject! It looked just like those videos of pilots ejecting out of jets... except that my pilot didn't have a parachute. I landed the plane and walked down the road to find the pilot, and as I approached, I saw the carnage: Body parts were everywhere. The first thing I came across was half of the helmet. At that point, I figured it wasn't going to be good. The arms, torso, face, and hands were seperated and spread across and down the road. I found a shoulder...well, on the shoulder of the road.

I guess the transparency had just enough of a loose spot in front to let the wind get underneith it and pull it off. The pilot figure is made of resin, not soft plastic, so he just shattered when he hit the ground. Fortunately, I was able to find all his pieces and glue him back together. He will be able to fly again... but will he want to?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverrx8 View Post
it was a bad day for the pilot of my extra yesterday. I had just taken off, and was climbing out over the road that is my runway, and my pilot evidently didn't like what he was seeing in the cockpit. The plane was about 30 feet up and 100 feet away, flying away from me, and i see the canopy fly off, and then the pilot eject! It looked just like those videos of pilots ejecting out of jets... Except that my pilot didn't have a parachute. I landed the plane and walked down the road to find the pilot, and as i approached, i saw the carnage: Body parts were everywhere. The first thing i came across was half of the helmet. At that point, i figured it wasn't going to be good. The arms, torso, face, and hands were seperated and spread across and down the road. I found a shoulder...well, on the shoulder of the road.

I guess the transparency had just enough of a loose spot in front to let the wind get underneith it and pull it off. The pilot figure is made of resin, not soft plastic, so he just shattered when he hit the ground. Fortunately, i was able to find all his pieces and glue him back together. He will be able to fly again... But will he want to?
you just cant put up pictures like that here , that is too gorey and graphic.lol
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Comic Relief...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRX8 View Post
It was a bad day for the pilot of my Extra yesterday. I had just taken off, and was climbing out over the road that is my runway, and my pilot evidently didn't like what he was seeing in the cockpit. The plane was about 30 feet up and 100 feet away, flying away from me, and I see the canopy fly off, and then the pilot eject! It looked just like those videos of pilots ejecting out of jets... except that my pilot didn't have a parachute. I landed the plane and walked down the road to find the pilot, and as I approached, I saw the carnage: Body parts were everywhere. The first thing I came across was half of the helmet. At that point, I figured it wasn't going to be good. The arms, torso, face, and hands were seperated and spread across and down the road. I found a shoulder...well, on the shoulder of the road.

I guess the transparency had just enough of a loose spot in front to let the wind get underneith it and pull it off. The pilot figure is made of resin, not soft plastic, so he just shattered when he hit the ground. Fortunately, I was able to find all his pieces and glue him back together. He will be able to fly again... but will he want to?
...is always welcome in this highly unpredictable hobby. Thanks for giving me a good laugh...

Let us know if he's going to make a full recovery or not & if he ends up being too gun shy to ever fly again...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Well, I got him to fly again - but I had to glue him to the seat...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, FL, Brandon
Joined Dec 2007
50 Posts
Esc

Has anybody figured out who makes Aerosky's ESC and what is the programing sequence???

Hitech
Hitech1 is offline Find More Posts by Hitech1
Old May 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
extra 300

Quote:
So my C.G. ended up around 105.0mm, instead of the specified 85.0mm. What C.G.s are you other Extra flyers flying at? What is a recommended "real" C.G.?
On my extra 300 my CG is 3 3/4" I'm using a 25 motor spinning a 13/8 APC.
Battery is 4 cell 3000. I removed the pilot guy. He's pertty heavy. So far the pl;ane flys well. I haven't used the SFG yet.
ultimateflyer10 is offline Find More Posts by ultimateflyer10
Old May 01, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
The winds finally calmed enough to maiden my Extra. I took off from work early to get a few flights in before dark. First takeoff was on the exciting side: I had programmed flaperons just to experiment later, but as Murphy would have it, I musta hit the flap switch without knowing it sometime during takeoff. It went vertical immediately, and was barely controllable. My first thought was that I had wildly miscalculated CG. I nearly lost it several times trying to dodge the ground before I got it high enough to get it in fairly stable flight. I thought I had really gotten hold of a pig of an airplane, until I figured out halfway through the flight what I had done. Flap switch up, and what a difference! After that, I was really impressed by how well it handled, and how it would do exactly what I would tell it to do. I only had three batteries on hand, but went through them all without incident.

The airplane flew great at the recommended CG - Like jokeane's SBach, it's probably just the slightest amount nose-heavy at the recommended CG. I ended up flying with 60% control throw and 40% expo, just trying to get used to the plane. I can't wait to start cranking up the control throws - It should be a lot of fun. Thank goodness I only had it at 60% while dealing with the flaperons - It would have ended up as a pile of packing peanuts in a field, otherwise.

The only problem I have now is that the spinner is way out of balance. I take the spinner off, and the motor runs full blast as smooth as silk. With the spinner on, the motor nearly vibrates off when it gets over 75% throttle - and you can really hear it. Watching the spinner on a ground run, you can see the point of the spinner bolt making a wobbly circle. I don't really know how to fix that one - The bolt doesn't appear bent, but the spinner just doesn't quite line up axially when the bolt is screwed in. Anyone with any suggestions would be appreciated. I feel jokeane's pain regarding non-standard parts. If it weren't for the custom fitting on the prop shaft for the spinner, I'd just go to my LHS and buy a nice aluminum spinner.

Using 2650mAH batteries, I get an easy eight full minutes of mixed flight time. That takes them down to around 3.7V per cell, which is about as low as I typically like to go.

One other observation: Aside from watching the bounce, I know when I have made a hard landing, because the canopy pops out of the retaining clips. I may add some magnets to see if that helps.

Looks like more wind for the rest of the week. Hopefully I can get some more flights this weekend!
Hi Guy: I initally put my spinner on without much looking. Mine didn't tighten like it should. Took it off and realized there was an indention in the spinner and a notch in the backplate. Put it on correctly, now it thghten down with no wobble. Check it out.
Old May 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Location of CG

Quote:
Your report adds fuel to one of my suspicions, jokean. My Extra is ready to fly, so I've been programming my transmitter. It seemed to me that there was an awful lot of control surface moving even with expo and d/r set high. I did some high-speed, almost-flying taxiing today (way too windy and gusty for maiden), and the controls still seemed overly-sensitive, even with high expo. I think I'm going to set up three different flight modes that will allow me to switch immediately between three different expo and dual-rate settings in flight, in case I need to. My only other remaining concern is the ESC that came with the ARF. I can't tell what the amp rating is, and I just find it hard to believe they would only put a 45amp in (according to NP website). I will probably do some ground runs and see how hot it gets. Changing the ESC would be a real PITA, since I can't get the cowling off to connect the motor.

For anyone else working on this airplane, I thought I would post my observations on the center-of-gravity: After using a more-precise set-up to to check the CG, I found that I was a lot less tail-heavy than I first thought. The CG was only 0.7 mm further aft than the plans called for. I added about 1.8 oz. of ballast to the firewall (couldn't get the cowling off without tearing it up, so I used forecepts and installed the ballast through the cowling air inlets), and now, with my 310g battery, it balances perfectly. The image below is a scan from the instruction sheet, and I added the wing, MAC, and CG information to it. As it turns out, the recommended 85mm CG position is precisely at the 1/3 MAC position. Also, I discovered a little surprise: The Extra has a molded-in gas cap in front of the canopy that is exactly at the recommended CG point. That can be used as a reference point when you balance your airplane. On the illustration, the 9-inch lable marks the firewall face and it's distance from the CG - useful when you start calculating how much ballast you might need. And one last note: The bold 85mm marking on the instruction sheet is actually 142 mm in the scale of the drawing... so balance to what is says, not what it shows!
Thanks for the sketch of the CG location. I bought the A/C bare bones. When I say bare bones, it really was. The kit had no instructions. I used an old method to find the CG. Your posting of the sketch showed me I was 3/8"
aft what it should be. Thanks. Also I had to open vent holes to the battery compartment. After flying 10 min at half throtle my battery was really hot. I'll find out the next trip to field if the vent holes helped. Thanks, Bill
Old May 03, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Wow! Great observation, Ultimateflyer10! I went out to the garage last night and looked, and sure enough, I had the backplate slot and the spinner key 180 degrees opposite. I fixed it, but that unfortunately didn't fix the problem. It's better, but the spinner still isn't quite axial with the prop shaft. It looks like the backplate isn't quite flat against the back of the prop shaft. I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet. First chance I get, I'll take the prop and the backplate off and see what I can find. But thanks for the note. That will no doubt take care of part of the problem!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Extra 330 Instructions

It's probably too late to help you, Ultimateflyer10, but maybe this will help someone else. I had scanned the Extra's instructions, but just never got around to posting them. There aren't a great number of revelations there, but if you don't have instructions, at least you'll know you're not missing much! They would have been a lot more helpful if the pictures were bigger. On the actual instruction sheet, each of the pictures are only 1 1/4" X 1".
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 07:26 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,205 Posts
Pulled the mouse trigger on the 330SC, just too dang sexy in that us flag pattern.

I'm not a patriotic nut, but with memorial day coming, thought I'd get something to fly for the 4th of July.

Just a note to anyone wondering between the aerosky 1400mm sbach and the hk one.

I had a toss up from the aerosky sbach and the hk one, ended up with the hk one cause it was cheaper, I love it, flies great, knife edges with no coupling, hovers like a champ, but ... I misjudged the distance of a light post coming in for a landing, shattered the cowl and crunched the front fuse a bit, luckily mine was easy to fix, some gorilla glue, some ca, hot water and matching paint and you can't tell the difference from 5' away ... but up close the cowl looks scarred.

Long story short, the hk one doesn't have spare parts (as of this post), but the aerosky's do, if I had the aerosky's instead, a new fuse is $45, instead of another $150 for me to make my SBach perfect again.

Kudos to nitroplanes for having parts for a good portion of there popular planes.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old May 25, 2012, 09:00 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,205 Posts
Finally got the bird in, made an unboxing video.

So far I'm pretty happy about this bird, ailerons were a bit warped, at the ends, as the previous posts mentioned. Also did not like the wide hole under the canopy, that may have contributed to the previous posters pilot ejection. Removed the pilot, sealed up the hole and reglued the canopy plastic on ... just waiting for Memorial Day to Maiden!

BTW my box had two screws taped to the top, found out they were for step 1 where the supplied PM3*8 screws were too short. Thank you NP for adding those longer screws, though a note woulda been helpful lol.

Aerosky 55" Extra 330SC SE Unboxing Video (8 min 22 sec)
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; May 25, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
Finally got the bird in, made an unboxing video.

BTW my box had two screws taped to the top, found out they were for step 1 where the supplied PM3*8 screws were too short. Thank you NP for adding those longer screws, though a note woulda been helpful lol.

http://youtu.be/1FxKGTWOExM
Nice video! Ditto on the screws on the outside of the box. Before I figured out what they were for, I had attached the wheel pants by cutting off some of the foam glued to the gear so that the screws could reach the nuts inside the pants. If you look at the pictures on the NP website, they did the same thing. I think I prefer the wheel pants mounted to the bare metal of the gear, though. With the foam in between the gear and the pants, I don't think it would be as quite a solid mount, and might allow the axle bolt to bend.

One word of caution as you start to build: Beware the package tape! Aerosky did a great job of wrapping and protecting all the parts, but all of those plastic bags are wrapped in tape, and then taped to the foam box to hold them in place for shipping. Be real careful as you take the parts out, or set them around as you build, because inevitably some bit of tape left on the bag or the box is gonna grab your model and pull bits of paint and decal off!

Looking forward to your build video....
RCG Plus Member