SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:32 AM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
329 Posts
I stuck a 4S4000 pack in mine to see how it fits. Needed to notch the canopy because of the length of the battery. I still have questions about the CG. With the recommended 4S2200 battery it's way tail heavy at 85mm. Even with the 4S4000 pack it's tail heavy at 85mm. If I set the CG at 91mm with the 4S4000 pack it' just a little nose heavy at that setting. Should I give it a try like that?
Hawaiian
Hawaiian Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Hawaiian Flyin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:48 AM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
110 Posts
Took mine up for the first time yesterday, set low rate to 50% travel and 50% expo although I will prob set the elevator expo to 70 on low rate from here on out as it was still sensitive on the setting of 50, flew great except for the landing, broke the landing gear and shredded a prop, took me about 8 tries to "land" it, this plane is a completly different ball game for me as I am used to high wing trainers, on high rate (max travel) this thing will spin like crazy! Need to get more sim time to figure out how to land it, each time I came in I was way too fast, plus the guys at the field telling me to "slow down", "take your time" was adding to the nervousness I already had. Ordered new landing gear and 3 props.
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:33 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Flyin View Post
I stuck a 4S4000 pack in mine to see how it fits. Needed to notch the canopy because of the length of the battery. I still have questions about the CG. With the recommended 4S2200 battery it's way tail heavy at 85mm. Even with the 4S4000 pack it's tail heavy at 85mm. If I set the CG at 91mm with the 4S4000 pack it' just a little nose heavy at that setting. Should I give it a try like that?
Hawaiian
I've been meaning to throw my 2-cents in, but have been without Internet since a lightning strike on Christmas morning... I've actually had to TALK to people for the past couple of weeks! I'm back on the grid now, though, so if my post is too long it's because I'm still trying to recover from being off-line so long...

Anyway, you might have seen my post (post #29 in this thread) on the CG of my version 1 330SC. Unless the planview of the airplane changed with version 2, which I suspect it didn't, then the analysis still holds. I had mine ballasted to get to the recommended 85mm position, but the ballast came loose and I tossed it. Now I'm flying at about 5% static margin, which is probably as far back as you would normally want it. At 5%, it flies and feels a little tail heavy. That's not to say it doesn't fly well - It does fly well at that position, but is probably not where you would want to fly before you get pretty comfortable with the airplane at a more-forward CG.

I don't really understand what you mean when you say that at 85mm it is still tail-heavy. Is the recommended CG forward of 85mm for the v2? What does the v2 manual recommend? Again, unless Aerosky shifted the wing further aft when they moved those servos to the tail on the v2, it's going to take more weight up front to get it to balance. If the planview is the same as the v1, then all they did in putting the servos in the tail was to move weight to the last place you would want it - way back at the back. A little weight far aft of the CG is going to require a lot more weight at the front to balance, because the only places you can put weight in front is close to the CG.

As far as landing goes, I think you can forget the traditional power-off, flare-before-it-touches-the-ground, three-point landing. Maybe somebody can land it that way, but I'm sure not the one. It might be easier to land on grass, I don't know. Where I fly requires landing on asphalt, so the airplane doesn't slow down much once the gear touches the runway. Any attempt to land with the tail down just causes it to bounce and sends it skyward again. I learned the hard way that the fly-it-to-the-ground, land-level-on-the-main-gear is the best way of getting it down in one piece. Once I gave up on 3-point landings and started refining my wheel-landing technique, graceful landings came pretty quickly. Yes, the plane does land fast, but as noted by JayDoc in a previous post, this airplane just doesn't have good low-speed characteristics. That is probably due more to wing, aileron, and tail warp-age than anything inherent in the design. If you get it too slow, and at too high an angle of attack, it's gonna drop a wing. That's a bad thing when you are landing. It also causes the airplane to drop hard on the gear, bending the aluminum gear and tearing up the wheel pants. After trashing my wheel pants and bending up my gear, I finally decided I would take off the wheel pants, install some Dubro axles with big wheels, and keep bending the aluminum gear back in place after each landing until I figured out how to get it on the ground. Once I learned how to land it, I ordered new wheel pants and new aluminum gear, and that's what I fly with now. When I land, I've got to keep it level all the way through the landing, and let the tail drop by itself on the roll-out. Once the tail drops, I go full up-elevator to get maximum force on the tail wheel, providing me maximum steering authority to avoid those end-of-the-runway obstacles that I always find because I land so fast. Landing level with a little speed really saves the aluminum gear, wheel pants, and axles, though. Just as it kisses the runway, I cut power and fly it through the landing. It's a pretty easy way to land that way once you get used to it, and I think it actually makes for a cooler-looking, more realistic landing.

Whew! I feel better now! Maybe my next posts won't have to be so long...
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DriverRX8; Jan 13, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:54 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
329 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think on the V2 they used larger servos for the rudder & elevator adding to more weight in the rear. The instructions still say to balance it at 85mm. With the 4s 4000 battery stuck in it it balances good right at that molded gas cap on the canopy which is right about the 85mm back from the LE. The extra weight of the larger battery compensates for the larger servos in the rear. Plus larger battery means longer flights! We are having a fun fly event this coming weekend so if the weather permits may try to maiden it with the 4S 4000 pack.
Hawaiian
Just checked on the NitroPlanes site to compare V! to V2. V1 has smaller servos that sit towards the center of the plane. V2 uses larger servos mounted way back in the fuse. So I would need to have more weight towards the front to get it balanced at 85mm like the instructions say. Think the 4S 4000 pack will do the trick.
Hawaiian Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Hawaiian Flyin
Last edited by Hawaiian Flyin; Jan 13, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:52 AM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
486 Posts
Good post DriverRX8. I didn't think it was too long, given that the content was good.

Charles
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:13 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Power n' stuff

Got a new, fresh, Zippy 3000mah 4-cell, so thought I would put on a new, balanced prop and take some power measurements. Not sure I've done that with a new battery on this plane. Anyway, for anyone who's interested: Full throttle - 51.6 amps, 14.86V, 766.7W. Approx. 75% throttle: 28.3 amps, 15.14V, 428.4W. Approx. 50% throttle: 7.2 amps, 15.7V, 113.3W. I took the measurements at the field and didn't have my fish scale to measure thrust, dang it! But I'll say this: It would climb vertically unlimited, and if it hadn't been so gusty, it would have been able to sustain a hover.

On a sadder note, though, I dinged her a little bit. I blame the gusty winds, but I ended up landing long and going off the end of the runway, where she cartwheeled in some tall grass. I was really fortunate. The grass buffered the blow, and the only damage was that the motor mount was knocked a little loose, and part of the cowling was a little smushed. I had always feared the day I would have to get the cowling off. I had tried before, and it just wouldn't budge. Turns out that it was solidly glued on at the top and the underside. I was fortunate to get it pried off with the only real damage being on the inside of the cowling. I epoxied the plywood firewall mount, put some plywood mount points for screws to hold the cowling on, and put it all back together. A little touch-up paint and she's ready to roll again!
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:41 AM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
273 Posts
thinking about getting this plane what do i did to know
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:01 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2ner View Post
thinking about getting this plane what do i did to know
Just my 2cents, there are many better planes around the same size, but less expensive.

However ... something about my red white and blue USA colored one make me never want to get rid of it, even though I only wish flying it on Jan 1st, July 4th and Memorial Day.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:20 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
has anybody tried different props on this plane? in stock form, mine pulled 45 amps and 683 watts on a 4s 2650mah battery. i've noticed a couple others pulling over 700 watts at a little over 50 amps. thinking about trying an APC prop on mine and see if i can get a little more power out of it.

btw, mine is the sbach version, and it's a pig at just a hair over 5 lbs AUW.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
I have always been impressed with Nitroplanes. They once sent me a complete new fuselage for one that cosmetically had a cowl separation. They stand by what they sell for sure...I only wish I had a clue what RC unit their tester uses...it is obviously BETTER than the RTF ones.
RichardV88 is offline Find More Posts by RichardV88
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:59 PM
United States, AZ, Cave Creek
Joined Jul 2012
370 Posts
What servos are you guys using?

Thanks.
Mustang Racer 9 is offline Find More Posts by Mustang Racer 9
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
110 Posts
Thinking of selling this plane, I have flown it once and honestly it scares me, I have flown my 2 other planes a ton more than this one...
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:44 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,463 Posts
I've got a handful of flights on mine.

Never tried it on 4s. living up here I need more power. Dropped in a 70 amp esc, CC10 BEC, and a 14x7 prop on stock motor. Need to solder up a LandPower 85 I have and drop it in.

At 9600ft 68 amps, about a 1000 watts static on a 5s 30/40c Turnigy. I have been flying in below freezing temps so I have not had a chance to pull the motor temps. Have know idea what the specs are for the motor, if anyone knows please direct me. Cruises just fine at 1/2 throttle. No 3D machine but very fun sport/acro.

Knife edges at speed with out the SFGs, will flat spin, tracks really well, like an Extra!

Have the red V2 with the 20 gram servos. I like
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:20 AM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
Thinking of selling this plane, I have flown it once and honestly it scares me, I have flown my 2 other planes a ton more than this one...
interested have any pics
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:58 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,007 Posts
Well, I am back in the States, and have had a chance to open the box and marvel at this great looking airplane. I opted for the stars and stripes 330. As soon as I get settled in my new house, I will be getting this thing up to flying status. I am gonna cross my fingers and run the stock ESC with an external BEC.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!