HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Discussion
3 Channel vs 4 Channel

Is it just me or is 4 channel much more difficult to fly than 3 channel? I have tried a few different 4 chnl. heli's and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I never was good at video games either. I think I am just going to stick with 3 chnl. Does anyone else feel this way?
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:37 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
4 channel is significantly more difficult, as well as being quite different. The number of 3 channel threads shows there are many who share your views.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:50 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,677 Posts
Don't let it discourage you. Yes, 4 channel coaxials are more challenging than the 3 channel ones but they can both be a lot of fun for different reasons. Speaking purely for myself, I enjoy the 3 channels for quick fun flights around the office when I want to take a break from work or when I'm flying with my kids. The 4 channels are good for when I actually schedule time for flying as an actual activity and not just something to do as a break. They're more challenging but I find them very rewarding because of the difficulty involved. That's just me though.

What I really like about the 3 channels is the variety of the different models and the difference in flight performance. Between my tiny S110Gs, rock-solid S107Gs, dual-mode JXD 339s, and the total funbucket S026G (gotta get me another one of those) there's a lot to love.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
OldCuss
USA, MI, Hartland
Joined Aug 2008
116 Posts
Took me a week to do more than hover in place.
Took a month to stop breaking so many parts on it.
I've never flown a 3 channel, except for my AH pocket copter.
AxlMyk is offline Find More Posts by AxlMyk
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:27 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,376 Posts
4ch is more difficult to pay for. It will do more than 3ch but that includes getting itself into trouble faster.

The current generation of stability-enhanced 4ch singlerotors are 'less harderer' than their predecessors. As pilot skills go mine are just better than "impaired" yet I've been flying a 120 size singlerotor in breeze, including some 'unscheduled' landings, for a year and busted exactly $2 worth of parts. How hard can it be?
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:43 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
4ch is more difficult to pay for. It will do more than 3ch but that includes getting itself into trouble faster.

The current generation of stability-enhanced 4ch singlerotors are 'less harderer' than their predecessors. As pilot skills go mine are just better than "impaired" yet I've been flying a 120 size singlerotor in breeze, including some 'unscheduled' landings, for a year and busted exactly $2 worth of parts. How hard can it be?
Hey i like this guys thinking! Good for you. I just got a small mini 3ch and it works fine. I have much bigger ones but they are much harder to fly. Busted some parts for big ones and repaired them. Wait till later and get some stick time.
Dan
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:59 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,393 Posts
The main problem with 4 channel is that you have to learn to control one function on a stick, without unintentionally altering the position of the stick on the other axis, so the other control function doesn't get disturbed, and on both sticks. In mode 2 this means being able to alter altitude without the heli starting to yaw, and the other way, not having the heli make an unintentional climb or descent when simply making a turn.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Feb 24, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:12 PM
OldCuss
USA, MI, Hartland
Joined Aug 2008
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
, and the other way, not having the heli make an unintentional climb or descent when simply making a turn.
Which is my biggest problem.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:32 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
Which is my biggest problem.
It is just patience and practice.

Don't be in a rush, learn to hover first then move forwards and back.
When you get more comfortable with those try side to side but always come back to your start point.
Circuits will come but learn the basics first and give yourself a good grounding to more advanced flying.

One big thing to remember - THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN
If it is getting frustrating take a break and go back later to try again.

I've been flying helis for over 30 years and I am still learning new things to try

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:41 PM
OldCuss
USA, MI, Hartland
Joined Aug 2008
116 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if it's the heli itself. Flying a GW9958.
I give it rudder, and it just takes off. Waiting for the snow and wind to settle down so I can take it outside, where there is more recover area. I've been taking too many leaves off wife.life.mates' plants.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:47 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,704 Posts
I don't own that heli and since it is a single rotor you should be over in the Micro Heli forum

This the link to it, they are just as mad there as they are here so don't worry
I linger in there as well lol
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454770

You will find a lot more info about the rudder over there

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:21 PM
OldCuss
USA, MI, Hartland
Joined Aug 2008
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I don't own that heli and since it is a single rotor you should be over in the Micro Heli forum

This the link to it, they are just as mad there as they are here so don't worry
I linger in there as well lol
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454770

You will find a lot more info about the rudder over there

cheers John.
Yep. I know that. Just remarking on the learning curve for 4ch.
I have 2 co-axials that are a breeze to fly, once you get your brain wrapped around right/left, fore/aft, throttle up/emergency off.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtriac23 View Post
Is it just me or is 4 channel much more difficult to fly than 3 channel? I have tried a few different 4 chnl. heli's and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I never was good at video games either. I think I am just going to stick with 3 chnl. Does anyone else feel this way?
I got highly addicted to my 3-ch Blade Scout CX, but finally pushed myself out of my comfort zone and picked up an mCX2. It's really quite a docile heli, at least as long as you keep the Tx on the slow response curve setting. I taught myself in stages, first learning how to trim the heli so that it would do a hands-off hover if I got into a panic situation. I've now gotten to the point where I can navigate around our cramped apartment without a crash, and find that while cutting figures with the 4-ch is a little more challenging, the reward is that with aileron control you can do more precise take-offs and landings.

You don't say which 4-ch helis you've tried, but I'd recommend the mCX2. It's very forgiving, and took a few crashes without breaking a single part.

Don't get discouraged; I'm no game whiz either, but am managing to get pretty comfortable with the 4-ch thing.
BetaMark is offline Find More Posts by BetaMark
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:17 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
Sometimes I wonder if it's the heli itself. Flying a GW9958.
I give it rudder, and it just takes off. Waiting for the snow and wind to settle down so I can take it outside, where there is more recover area. I've been taking too many leaves off wife.life.mates' plants.
That's not a common problem for a 9958. Most of these small single rotors tend to climb slower than their coaxial versions. If you want a really twitchy throttle, try a Nine Eagles 210a Solo coaxial. It's barely 27g, so lighter than the 9958, and both rotors provide lift, while on a single rotor part of the battery's power is used for the tail rotor, which provides no lift. Making rudder turns while not changing altitude unintentionally with that heli, is great 4 channel training.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Apr 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
If you want a really twitchy throttle, try a Nine Eagles 210a Solo coaxial.
Yep, I had one of these for a short while and found that out. The Blade mCX2 seems to be at least a little less sensitive in this regard.
BetaMark is offline Find More Posts by BetaMark