HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:47 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
currently a turnigy 9x but i may upgrade to a Futaba 8FG Super (found one used for a good price)
The 8FGSuper is a pretty impressive radio, I'd say good choice, but I've never flown Futaba.

Have you flashed your 9x with er9x or the like?
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:10 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,764 Posts
Quote:
ROTF-LMAO I rember that skit K, Cleese & Idle=Classic!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:09 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
The 8FGSuper is a pretty impressive radio, I'd say good choice, but I've never flown Futaba.

Have you flashed your 9x with er9x or the like?
I may do some day but for the time being its bone stock
in terms of Futaba ive only ever heard good reviews from people who fly them
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:12 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
LOL Double-D
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:12 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,764 Posts
Quote:
I may do some day but for the time being its bone stock
in terms of Futaba ive only ever heard good reviews from people who fly them
K that 2.4mhz radio you have looks like a very good radio, for the money at least!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:14 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
2.4Ghz

in the meanwhile i stealing a bit from my hobby budget a bit at a time to save up for the 8FG super (14 channels here i come!!)
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Or you could just stay with the cool kids and get an Aurora

Only heli and super scale guys will ever use up 14 channels, are all of them proportional? I once heard that 5(?) were only on/off.

And if you're not totaly set on the radio yet, do not choose based on the number of channels! Base you're selection on what you will use the most. Factor in RX cost (très important!) as well as functionality, and the way that you like to fly.

Go to an LHS and hold it in your hands, if it's uncomfortable it's not worth buying.

And there are a few other factors that are relatively minor, including looks. (Why do you think I love my A9? because it has that sexy vintage+ultra modern style....amongst other things...)

If the cost of an RX is prohibitive, the radio isn't worth it. If this is the only plane you intend to ever use near 14 channels on, the cost isn't worth it, it would be beneficial in this case to just use a lower number of channels (radio) and get some external mixers and multiplexers.

Don't rush into buying a radio, ever.
Last edited by Legot; Mar 05, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:12 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
yes correect 5 on/off and the rest proportional!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Nice, and I wanted to show you how this guy built his plane

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002157

it's a good looking technique, especially for the fuse.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:10 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Nice, and I wanted to show you how this guy built his plane

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002157

it's a good looking technique, especially for the fuse.
Thats a very easy and straight forward way of making a fuselage, its just a question of K being able to get the right kinds of foam in the UK.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:40 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
thats EPP i can get that at the LHS
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:21 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,379 Posts
K~ Lots of good advice in here for you. I am glad you have continued to pursue this since we exchanged mails a few weeks ago. You will learn more from this project than anything you have done so far in your hobby career.

Keep the motivation and dont get let down. In the end you will have something really special to fly, that you built from scratch. No matter how well it flies or how good it looks, building from scratch is a milestone in the hobby that everyone should take pride in and do at least once in their life. Lots of people may try discourage you, but keep at it and you will accomplish the project.

I had two more bits of commentary that I wanted to add, in response to previous posts in this thread.

Please listen to others' advice when they recommend using quality gear. Do not cheap out on servos, escs, becs or motors. You are going to have to put a lot of time and money into this, you will be devastated if you totalled out the whole plane due to some silly cheap electronic component. Batteries are okay from HK, if they pass some ground tests and did not arrive DOA, you will save a fortune and get comparable performance to name brands.

Second, in regards to the radio... simply sell it and get a JR, Spektrum, Hitec, or Futaba. This is the most important piece of equipment you will own and is responsible for bringing your aircraft home after EVERY flight. The features and signal strength offered by todays higher end radios cannot be matched by knockoffs and cheap imitators.

Personally, I entirely disagree with just about every comment Legot made in Post 157. To say only heli and super scale guys are the only ones that use 14 channels is not quite accurate.

For those of us flying biplanes, or other aircraft with multiple servos on 1 control surface, having the ability to dedicate each servo to its own channel is a fantastic benefit. Also, many of us have some forms of redundancy that eat up extra ports on a rx; like multiple RX batteries and regulators for example. Point is, 6 channels get used very quickly. Heck, I know folks with lighting systems that have 4 or more channels.

I think it is simple, if you know you are interested in the hobby and will be flying for the foreseeable future, then buy the best radio you can afford. As most new pilots learn after buying a Dx6i, one graduates from a 6channel very quickly. Even my most simple electric planes are using: throttle, rud, ele, ail 1, ail 2, BEC, retracts and often flaps. Being able to avoid using y-cables on ailerons or elevator halves or flaps allows for greater mixing options like differential, flaperon, etc; and also provides more precise subtrimming of each individual servo.

Even if your not flying giant scale or helis, the smaller planes can benefit greatly from the higher quality radio. For example, Futaba has high speed rx's that allow for super fast response and super resolution, other brands give you telemetry, servo sync'ing functions, multiple mixes, throttle timers, that are not found on lesser quality products.

He points out, if the cost of rx's are expensive, then the radio is not worth it. That may be his financial situation, but arrogant to assume it is out of your budget. There is the price factor, but there is also the issue of value. I, nor anyone else, can determine the value to you. For me the combination of my high end aircraft and high end transmitter is priceless and provides me the confidence I need to put $1000 aircraft in the sky. Recently I lost an electric P-47 with retracts due to a lockout at my local field... noone could explain it, but I had absolutely no control with my 11x on DSMX that had just been serviced. After that, I simply did not have the stomach for flying the 11x in my giant because I did not trust the signal... I did not fly for two months until I got a 10CHG. Despite that the 11x has cheaper rx's, I value the 10CHG FASST much more than I valued the 11x DSMX.

I also never ever use "external mixers and multiplexers" as suggested. This is for good reasons- a) you are introducing more potential points of electronic failure. Keep It Simple Stupid is something to live by in this hobby. b) you add additional weight to an airplane. I avoid this like the plague, move batteries and components to achieve the desired CG as best you can, adding weight only as a last resort. c) any half decent radio will have basic mixing that will allow you to avoid adding any hardware to your plane.

Anyway, not trying to be a bash, I just thought I would share a completely different perspective...

Keep at it K!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:57 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
i Definitively will!
And BTW im currently negotiating buying a Futaba 8FG super Radio for around $260

Keenan

And P.s i was thinking should i risk using some Gyro's ? and should i invest in some Telemetry ?
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:12 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,379 Posts
I typically do not use gyros or telemetry, but my friends that do really appreciate the added stability of gyros and appreciate being able to have telemetry info (particularly rx battery voltage) at their fingertips.

No matter what you get, there is no substitute for having an intimate knowledge of your systems. Take some basic measurements and get a good idea of how much battery mAh you should expect to use after "X" mins of flight; absolutely must have a watt meter to be sure you are remaining within the ESC's specs and to provide you with info on prop selection.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:14 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
not using a prop using the 90mm C/S fans

BRB just going back to practise on FMS realflight keeps Crashing! (install error !)